Food Allergy

Anyone's LO have milk protien intolerance?

My son is 15 months old and had a milk protein intolerance diagnosed after a scratch test last week. He was tested for milk protien and carrot because he has reacted to both with vomiting and or hives. The allergist said that the test was negative but there was a red ring around the spot they tested for milk protien. It looked like an irritated mosquito bite. At the time he just acted like "yeah it's negative, he just has a intolerance"... So I was intimidated and didn't question it but now I'm wondering how they come to that diagnosis, does anyone have any insight or similar experience? I have quite a few food allergies that cause anaphilaxis and asked if my son was at risk of having my same allergies, the allergist pretty much laughed at me and said no. I guess now I'm just a little nervous, he said its most likely fine to add in cheese and yogurt for now and that there is no risk of anaphilaxis. I'd love any advice or experiences! Thank you.

P.s. sorry for any misspelling or grammar problems, I'm on my iPad and it won't let me correct anything! Also, I think I just rambled on like crazy, sorry for that too :) 

Re: Anyone's LO have milk protien intolerance?

• first of all, get a new allergist asap!  Your child is at a higher risk of having allergies if a parent has allergies.  And that should not be a laughing matter and it should be taken seriously. Especially if you, as a parent is ANA to certain foods. 

I would find a pediatric allergist for your child and get a RAST test and a new skin test. 

Its so sad to hear these stories!  But sadder that this is an allergist that is dismissing allergies so early on.

To be safe, go to another allergist.  I learned to go for second opinions and it has probably saved my kid's life.

• Agreed -- I would get a second opinion.  DD reacted more to milk than anything else.. looked like her whole back was on fire.  but the peanut and egg scratch test was more mild.  you can tell it was itching bothering her... but the redness kinda just looked like a little dot to me (like a bite).  this was still a positive result and we were given an epi-pen.

I would def. go for a second opinion -- and a new skin test.  We've never done RAST -- only the skin tests.  I would also not introduce yogurt or any other kind of diary -- until you get to the bottom of things.  Go with your gut.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Holy crap! Like pp's said, run to a different allergist! DD1 is allergic to dairy, soy, and eggs. DD2 is milk and soy protein intolerant. There is a difference between allergies and intolerances, but it sounds like the allergy test was positive for your LO! I would definitely see a new pediatric allergist and have a blood RAST test done and a new skin test. And like pp said, definitely avoid dairy for now. 
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • I would see a new allergist as already stated, and make sure to see a pediatric allergist.  We had a negative experience with the first allergist we saw.

DD has a milk protein allergy.  Blood and skin tests come back negative. She has a non-IgE mediated allergy, there is no reliable way to test for it. DS, her twin brother has a non-IgE mediated allergy to soy protein, although his reaction is typically less severe. When DD has milk protein, she experience delayed violent vomiting, goes limp and appears extremely weak. She vomits until she has nothing left in her system and typically can't hold anything down for a day or so after.  DS has delayed vomiting from soy, but it's not as severe.  We test to see if they have grown out of their allergies by hospital food challenges (so they are closely monitored and hooked up to IV). 

We think DS may also have a peanut allergy because he got a hive and vomited when he tried a miniscule amount of peanut butter. But, his skin test did not show it.  He got two satellite hives, not at the site of the peanut test, elsewhere on his body when we did skin testing.  So, we just avoid peanut butter for now and carry an Epi Pen.

Good luck!!

imageimage
  • Also, after I just re-read that...it sounds like the test was positive based on a "mosquito bite" like reaction.
    imageimage
  • Thank you everyone for your replies, and sorry I didn't respond sooner! I was afraid I was being that crazy over-worried mom, maybe because my allergies put me on over-alert. After reading your responses I'm going to try to get Liam in to see a different pediatric allergist. His reaction was a small bump like a mosquito bite and it had a red ring about the size of a quarter around it. I know there are much worse allergies, and he has never had anything close to anaphylaxis. He has state insurance though so I'm not sure how to go about getting a second opinion, I really can't afford to pay out of pocket right now. I did try cheese before I read the replies, afterwards he screamed and cried off an on for 4 hours and then had awful diarrhea.... So there was no vomiting or hives but he seemed pretty uncomfortable and upset. I am now holding off on all dairy.
  • p.s. I'm having trouble with my signature, Liam is 15 months old, not 0 days old :)
  • I am late to this party, but i agree with everyone to get a second opinion. Based on what you stated about giving him cheese, sounds like an intolerance to me. My son is almost 3 and has been MPI since birth. He has yet to grow out of it, and when he gets something with milk, whey, or casian in it, he is very irritalbe and has horrible diarreah(sp?).

Cut all dairy, dariy products and anything with whey or casian out of his diet. it may take about a week or two to see 100% turnaround, but it would be good in the long run until you can get another test done.

BTW, my son had no reaction during his allergy test, but he reacts to foods and drinks.

~Spryte~
    Proud c/s Mama to Killian 2-8-10
    Griffin Edward due by RCS on 4-16-13
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"