March 2012 Moms
Options

Falls?

My son is a mover and shaker, albeit and very unsteady one.

It seems like no matter how careful we are he takes a fall once every day or two, typically landing on his head. Usually something along the lines of while sitting up he becomes wobbly and falls flat back on to this head (crying ensues) or today while walking along his crib while putting his laundry away he missteps and bangs his head (quite hard, with hysterical crying) against the crib.

I am worried with all this that he is doing damage to his poor baby brain. My husband keeps telling me babies are resilient and he is fine.

Do your kids fall as much as mine or is my baby clumsy or should I be hovering over him every second he is mobile? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Falls?

• Options

Kids fall - their bodies are designed to take it.

Is he hurt when he cries, or is he just startled? DS will topple over sometimes when he's sitting or crawling, and the first couple times he cried - I scooped him up, gave him a kiss and told him he was fine (while checking for a bump) and plopped him back down. If I didn't make a big deal out of it, he stopped doing so as well. Now when it happens, he gets up and keeps going on his own. There was one time since then that he really did whack his head pretty hard and started wailing, but since he doesn't cry at the small bumps anymore I knew he was really in pain.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagekristens14:

Is he hurt when he cries, or is he just startled? DS will topple over sometimes when he's sitting or crawling, and the first couple times he cried - I scooped him up, gave him a kiss and told him he was fine (while checking for a bump) and plopped him back down. If I didn't make a big deal out of it, he stopped doing so as well. Now when it happens, he gets up and keeps going on his own. There was one time since then that he really did whack his head pretty hard and started wailing, but since he doesn't cry at the small bumps anymore I knew he was really in pain.

This. I try not to make a big deal about it. Most times he won't cry and will just crawl off like it never happened. I always try and wait to see how he is going to react before I do. Although sometimes if he takes a digger I freak out more than him. I'll scoop him up and he either doesn't care or will start crying AFTER I make a deal about it. If I wait to react then most times he doesn't care and will crawl off. And if he really did get hurt he will cry and I will scoop him up and give him kisses.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Yup. Kids fall. No big deal. No brain damage or any real harm done.

DD falls at least once a day. She usually screams because it startles her. Only once did she bang hard enough to get a bump on her head and it was a tiny one. Gone the next day.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• Options

Thanks ladies you have made me feel better that other babies are falling as ugh as my kiddo and they are probably fine.

Most times I wait to see if he is going get upset before I scoop him up unless its a real doozy of a fall. 

• Options
    Yes and no matter how much we are on top of him to make sure he is safe he falls either face down or backwards! I just wish I had more carpet and less hardwood!

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• Options

imagemcgeeva:
    Yes and no matter how much we are on top of him to make sure he is safe he falls either face down or backwards! I just wish I had more carpet and less hardwood!

Yes! I have hardwood throughout our house which I loved pre-LO but now I wish we had carpet .... Even though i am sure I will be thankful when he is older and is spilling things all the time.

• Options
    helpful post! thanks!
  • Options
    imageDivallyn:

imagemcgeeva:

Yes! I have hardwood throughout our house which I loved pre-LO but now I wish we had carpet .... Even though i am sure I will be thankful when he is older and is spilling things all the time.

Okay I have a question for you. I am in a three story townhouse as well and putting up babygates has been horrible. We have spindels on every floor so no wall to wall gates. I had to buy these things to fit around the spindels to hook a gate to. Been a horrible pain! What are you doing?

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• Options
    imagekristens14:

Ditto. Connor falls all of the time and he's fine. I think it's normal at this age especially as they are learning to move on their own

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker                                    Anniversary
  • Options
    imageMrsLynn31912:
    imagekristens14:

This. I try not to make a big deal about it. Most times he won't cry and will just crawl off like it never happened. I always try and wait to see how he is going to react before I do. Although sometimes if he takes a digger I freak out more than him. I'll scoop him up and he either doesn't care or will start crying AFTER I make a deal about it. If I wait to react then most times he doesn't care and will crawl off. And if he really did get hurt he will cry and I will scoop him up and give him kisses.

this for us as well. i try not to make a big deal about him falling..telling him everything is ok and kind of check. but i definitely let him react first, because sometimes he doesn't even care about a fall and just keeps playing.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimage
  • Options
    imagemcgeeva:
    imageDivallyn:

imagemcgeeva:

Okay I have a question for you. I am in a three story townhouse as well and putting up babygates has been horrible. We have spindels on every floor so no wall to wall gates. I had to buy these things to fit around the spindels to hook a gate to. Been a horrible pain! What are you doing?

Were in a four story house but no spindles. We have been using pressure mounted gates. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"