New York Babies

Can I decline a bridal party invite? (wks after due date)

My mother has had an on again off again boyfriend for years, never gone more than a few months w/o breaking up and "swearing it's over" There most recent break up lasted roughly three months, he was cheating on her (as my mother claims) my mom was seeing someone else for that duration. Then out of nowhere she shows up with this rock on her finger telling us (her daughters) she is engaged. We all had initially assumed it was the guy she was seeing at the time, she clarified whom it was she is marrying, we were hesitant based on past experience. Other things to keep in mind; I was 14ish weeks pregnant at that point, yes she knew, with my first child. My sister had also been planning an understated outdoor wedding for several months, and chosen mid june for her wedding (prior to us conceiving.) My mother then decided her 200+ person wedding extravaganza was going to be four weeks after my due date and the week after my sisters wedding. My sister heavy heartedly decided to post pone her wedding. My mother than had the gall to ask my sister for her wedding invitations (AND COLOR SCHEME) because she would not be using them, and has requested to use the reservations that I made and put a deposit on for my sisters bachelorette party, and to have me drive to and from NYC (2 1/2 hours from my house) as their DD while I am 38 weeks pregnant. She has also decided that my four week old has to be in the wedding and she wants me to dress up my baby BOY as a bouquet of flowers and have me hold him while walking down the aisle at the church. Oh, oh, oh and she thinks we should have her bridal shower the day before my baby shower to make it more "convenient for guests." 

~Can I tell my mother I dont want to be in her wedding and to f* off?

Re: Can I decline a bridal party invite? (wks after due date)

• OMG I am so sorry. I am at a loss for words.

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
    BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• I am really sorry you are dealing with this.

You are an adult, and can tell your mother whatever you want.  You know her best and can probably best predict what her reaction is going to be.  Perhaps if she hears from you that you are not comfortable being a part of things, she may reconsider her decision and have her wedding at a more convenient time.  If it is important enough for her to have you be a part of it, she should.

Also, just my two cents, I would not be driving 2 and 1/2 hours each way being a designated driver while I was 38 weeks pregnant.  I wouldn't even do it now at 12 weeks.  Plus, being 2 and 1/2 hours away at 38 weeks is risky.  What if you go into labor then?  Many women choose to stay pretty close to home when they are that far along.

JMO, FWIW. 

After 1.5 years TTC, IUI #2= BFP 12/2/12

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"And the dream that you dare to dream really do come true"

• Loading the player...
  • Wow, sounds all to familiar! Do we have the same mom?? Please put yourself first. My mom was never there for me and is notorious for ruining all important things for me. So it is time for you to know your self worth and take a stand. It is going to be an important time for you too. Her shenanigans need to take a back seat. NO is the answer to it all!!
  • kla338869 said:
    Wow, sounds all to familiar! Do we have the same mom?? Please put yourself first. My mom was never there for me and is notorious for ruining all important things for me. So it is time for you to know your self worth and take a stand. It is going to be an important time for you too. Her shenanigans need to take a back seat. NO is the answer to it all!!
    I agree with this. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this and it is outrageous that your mom is stealing both you and you sister's thunder. I've had to cut my mom out of my life completely because if things she's done in the past and would continue to do if I let her. I'm all for protecting yourself, especially since now you're protecting yourself and your baby.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"