December 2010 Moms

Ugh...we have a biter

I picked up E today and our DCP told me that E was in time of because he but another little boy. Apparently this is the third incident though its the first I'm hearing of it so I was kind of like WTF!!!

I asked what had happened and they said that they think that Evan tried to take a toy from the other little boy there and when the other boy took it back Evan bit him. The other times she didn't tell me because he "wasn't the aggressor" which basically in her mind meant that another child had taken a toy from him first so he bit.

I don't know if I'm more mad that I didn't know anything or that he bit. We had a talk about it when we got home and he did his pathetic "I know I'm in trouble" face and we're sitting here making the other boy an I'm sorry/feel better card. Anyone else have a biter?? What did you do?

Re: Ugh...we have a biter

• Wow, I had a biter (DD) at this age but there was no card-making. Wink

Really one of the key things is that the DCP just needs to keep an eye on your DS and nip it in the bud as she catches him in action. It helps to know what is triggering him, and she can better foster in him how to react. (For example, if he's biting because he wants a toy and she sees him going in, she can break in and say, "DS, you really want that toy but so-and-so is playing with it now. We don't bite. Why don't you play with this toy?" and redirect.) Daycare also had the book "Teeth are not for biting" and we read that to her a lot.

It's a pretty natural reaction when they don't have the verbage to communicate. You should see it taper off as he talks more... 

Mom to J (10), L (4), and baby #3 arriving in July of 2015
  • My kids bite each other- it tends to go in waves- when they are not biting they are head butting each other.  They have never done these things to other kids in our playgroups, sorry I am no help.  I just firmly tell the offender that babies bite and big boys don't.  Then I work on watching more closely for the triggers.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the advice ladies. The big boy argument doesn't usually work because E still seems to think he is a baby and refuses to call himself a big boy! I wish he was doing this while I was around so I could react to it "my way" but he's never bitten another child when I'm around. Sigh:.. I guess this too shall pass. Right?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"