High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Pros/Cons of Glyburide?

At my appointment this morning my OB prescribed 5mg of Glyburide 1X/day in the morning. I had a feeling it would happen; despite monitoring what I ate and walking my numbers were still pretty high. Have any of you ladies been on it? Also, what affect does it have on baby/placenta? I vaguely remember reading something about it affecting the placenta more and not so much the baby... I'm trying to do some research and was wondering what your experiences are/have been.

Daisypath - (2EEx)

Lilypie - (CszI)

Re: Pros/Cons of Glyburide?

• Options

According to my endo:

Pros to glyburide - no injections.

Cons - crosses the placenta
    - harder to make small adjustments
    - less research on it's use during pregnancy

I have never been on glyburide. Both OB practices I saw with my pregnancies refused to prescribe it, and after doing my own research I agreed with them and was put on insulin with both pregnancies. There are a lot of GD moms around this board who have been on glyburide with no ill effects, but I wasn't comfortable with it for me. 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My OB office would not give it to me.. said only Insulin was proven safest for baby... I also don't think Glyburide is FDA approved, but I know many have taken it during pregnancy with no issues.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I liked the glyburide better than insulin but we couldn't get my fastings down. It worked wonderfully for my daytime #s though. I honestly didn't do much research other than to know that glyburide is relatively new for GD treatment as usually it's diet then insulin. But I was happy to try it. My OB started me on 2.5 2x/day. We went up to 5 at night. Still no luck. Then I happened to have an appt with my endo (for my thyroid) and she actually was surprised to see me on it and immediately took me off. She said it's just not researched enough but told me not to worry that my baby hadn't grown a 2nd head or anything. Just that she's more comfortable with insulin and since the glyburide wasn't working and my breakfast #s were now being effected I was fine with trying insulin. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I am on it 1x a day for fasting 2.5 mg. No issues with it. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I took glyb for 11 weeks with DS and 30 weeks with this pregnancy. Personally for my the pro of not taking shots outweighed everything else. Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

• Options
    It worked well for me. I took it at night to control my fasting number in the morning. I don't know much about the effects on the baby (I can't recall now) but I do know that once I was on that, I was monitored twice weekly- one NST and one BPP.
    Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013
    Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"