September 2012 Moms

Formula Feeding moms ???

I've been feeding DS Similac Advanced and I would say that the last 3 weeks or so his poops have been pretty hard.  I've talked to the pedi and he said to give him apple juice mixed in his bottles (2-3oz per day).  That only sometimes seems to work.  When I talked to the my pedis nurse I asked about switching to a different formula and she basically said something about it not really making a difference.

Basically I am not sure if I buy that (changing formula doesnt help) so my question is if you are having that issue have you changed formulas?  What formula would you suggest trying??

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Formula Feeding moms ???

• The only time I could see it helping is if you were going from a soy to a regular.  Otherwise, since the rest are milk based and milk is constipating, I would tend to agree with her. 

Maybe a gentlease or similac sensitive would be better. 

• imagemrsh0606:

The only time I could see it helping is if you were going from a soy to a regular.  Otherwise, since the rest are milk based and milk is constipating, I would tend to agree with her. 

Maybe a gentlease or similac sensitive would be better. 

I just feel so bad that he seems to have so much trouble with "getting it out". 

• Loading the player...
  • I know.  Zoey was on soy and it made her super constipated.  Have you tried pear juice?  I'm surprised the dr say apple since that is also constipating. 

• I have not used Similac Advanced, is it thicker for spit up? If so, I could see switching to something not as thick. Or maybe try a RTF.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• imagemrsh0606:

I know.  Zoey was on soy and it made her super constipated.  Have you tried pear juice?  I'm surprised the dr say apple since that is also constipating. 

We also had issues with soy with DS1.  Unfortunately he was just constipated most of his 1st year.  It didn't seem to bother him, so he just had hard poop.  It got better with solids.

I think all juice is supposed to help them go?  Maybe because of the sugar?  We used karo syrup with him when it first started.

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• imagemrsh0606:

I know.  Zoey was on soy and it made her super constipated.  Have you tried pear juice?  I'm surprised the dr say apple since that is also constipating. 

Yeah, she said apple or pear.  I just went with apple since I couldnt find pear juice.  Where can you get that?? 

• We use the Up & Up version of Similac Sensitive.  We were having digestive/gas issues with regular Similac.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Our pedi told us to do half ounce prune juice with half ounce water once a day and it helped her alot when we used it but since i changed her to the sensitive formula from the gentleease ( that made her more gassy and fussy) she has become more regular and a pleasant pooper i guess you could say she use to freak out when she was constipated it was heartbreaking
  • imageMarisaKathleen:
    We use the Up & Up version of Similac Sensitive.  We were having digestive/gas issues with regular Similac.

Maybe after this can which is almost gone I will have to give that a try.  We've also been having gas issues and the drops seem to only work like 20% of the time.  Thanks ladies for the input :)

• imageMarisaKathleen:
    We use the Up & Up version of Similac Sensitive.  We were having digestive/gas issues with regular Similac.

how do you like the up&up version? We've been considering switching. 

Orginal September 2012 Mom
    #1 Alice born 9/12 born after 2 1/2 years on infertility
    #2 Loss 12/15
    Ttc #3

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagerarazz:

imageMarisaKathleen:

I use Up&Up and used it with DD, too. I like it. If you have a Sam's membership, you can get a big container of the Sam's generic and it's made by the same company that makes the Up&Up brand-- PGM Nutritionals or something.

• imageDeerHunter79:
    imagemrsh0606:

Yeah, she said apple or pear.  I just went with apple since I couldnt find pear juice.  Where can you get that?? 

Look in the section of the store that carries baby food. Gerber makes small pear juices with the baby juices. It's not in the juice section of the grocery. 

• We use up & up also and we like it alot she does great on it and it saves money. I was nervous at first using generic but if you compare the ingredients on both cans they are similar just different amounts by a number or two per ingredient and our pedi told us they are the same also.
  • imageteacherjess:
    imageDeerHunter79:
    imagemrsh0606:

Look in the section of the store that carries baby food. Gerber makes small pear juices with the baby juices. It's not in the juice section of the grocery. 

Didn't even think to look there.  THANK YOU!!!

• imageteacherjess:
    imagerarazz:

imageMarisaKathleen:

I use Up&Up and used it with DD, too. I like it. If you have a Sam's membership, you can get a big container of the Sam's generic and it's made by the same company that makes the Up&Up brand-- PGM Nutritionals or something.

we have a Costco membership, but have heard their generic is super foamy. I may have to try the up&up. 

Orginal September 2012 Mom
    #1 Alice born 9/12 born after 2 1/2 years on infertility
    #2 Loss 12/15
    Ttc #3

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks again ladies!!!  Have a wonderful weekend!!!!
  • Yea, we used to get the gerber brand as well. 

I would try switching to sensitive formula though. 

good luck!

• My LO had digestive problems with the Similac too.  We use Enfamil but after reading this thread, I may have to try Up & Up!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"