March 2013 Moms

Wine during pregnancy....sangria during pregnancy?

I know there was just a post about drinking wine during pregnancy (or maybe it was on 2nd tri) but I'm going to a party tonight and bringing sangria. I wonder if that's a no-no since it was some liquor in it (triple sec).

Hmmmm I didn't drink a drop when I was pregnant with DS. I don't know why I'm even considering this! Just curious...

My little man at 0-1-2
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

Re: Wine during pregnancy....sangria during pregnancy?

• These posts annoy me. Sorry to be so blunt.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Just like with really any alcoholic beverage, one reasonably sized glass won't hurt.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMrs MoJoRisin:
    These posts annoy me. Sorry to be so blunt.

I think I have to agree. I'm one of those people that won't chance even 1 glass of wine. I feel that it's selfish, and if I can't wait 9 months, that's a problem. Not trying to sound b!tchy, just my O.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I can understand the temptation, I quit drinking 2 years ago and for whatever reason am craving a Sam Adams like no other, but experts have no idea how much alcohol can cause FAS and I don't want to chance it. I say make yourself a mocktail, enjoy the party, and focus on the final prize. You will most likely feel so much guilt and worry after that it wouldn't be worth it anyway.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    BabyName Ticker
  • Well - studies have shown that consuming *small* amounts of alcohol doesn't seem to impact in utero fetuses but studies also show that they don't really know what the threshold is for it to start causing problems like FAS.  They're not likely to either since I can't think of many moms who will sign up for that kind of trial. 

My opinion, there are lots of things that happen to our babies as they develop that are out of our control and no matter what you do, read, hear about, or chat with your doctor about - you're never going to be able to change the outcome.  This is one of those things that you CAN. The holidays are a tough time of the year to not enjoy a cold one but for me, it is worth the peace of mind that at least in this one instance, I did something for my baby that can help them have a fully working wonderful little mind later on.   

• I won't drink at all, but that's me. I know some doctors will say it's ok to have a drink. I'm just not one to risk it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think a lot of moms on here will go with the in moderation, or one every now and then is fine rule of thumb. If you honestly want opinions here is mine. This is one of those things I can control so I will not be drinking during my entire pregnancy. I would be worried and feel guilty the rest of the time I was pregnant until I held that baby and everything was ok. That being said I do know a lot of moms who have had the occasional drink and their babies turned out just fine. It's just personally not a risk I am ok taking.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagecovertxxamour:
    imageMrs MoJoRisin:

I think I have to agree. I'm one of those people that won't chance even 1 glass of wine. I feel that it's selfish, and if I can't wait 9 months, that's a problem. Not trying to sound b!tchy, just my O.

I agree. I'm comfortable with a lot of things, but not drinking. Some small studies show a small amount won't hurt, but numerous studies show they don't know how much it takes to make an impact on a baby. No thanks.

• I also do not see the point in having 1 glass.  I would rather have none.  Don't get me wrong Im not saying that I have to get trashed if Im going to drink but what is the point in 1 glass of wine at a party.  It is almost like a tease.  If you weren't pregnant and wanted 1 glass of wine then whatever but why even bother having that 1 if you are pregnant.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I am a FTM and most of my mommy friends are in the same boat as me. A glass a week.

My doctor says a glass of wine every now and then never hurt anyone.

Truth is you can control not putting this in your system as to the possible harm your baby, but honestly by the time the wine gets to your baby it is going to be a very minute amount. 

I allow myself to have a glass of red wine a week. I also have very high stress levels. As my doctor also said a glass of wine is better for the baby than a boat load of stress.

I know for myself it takes quite a while to even get through my glass of wine because I take my time with it and greatly enjoy it through the evening. 

This topic is complete personal preference. If you are going to guilt yourself into drinking a glass of wine then you most likely will have a higher stress when you are finished as to the effects on your LO. 

Although I am all about the vino, I would never drink hard liquor during pregnancy. That in my opinion is absurd even if it is just sangria.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Just to clarify, I did not give my opinion. I just said these posts are annoying.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I think a small glass is fine but I wouldn't do liquor, I would only have wine. It's actually quite nomral in Europe apparently. I will probably have a couple sips or two for Christmas and/or new years since it is a special occasion. I think it's fine, i'm sure you're not drinking to get drunk so don't feel guilty about it :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker M/C June 2010 at 9weeks 3days
  • I don't think it's fair to say drinking a glass of wine is selfish.  What about when you're breastfeeding? You will get a lot of ppl making comments about how "selfish" that is too, but if you're breastfeeding long term (I breastfed for 18 months and now I'm pregnant again!) that's a long time to not have a drink.  And honestly, pumping and dumping is a massive waste of time.

The truth is there are NO studies that say drinking in moderation hurts your baby; there are only cases of FAS where women have continually participated in binge drinking throughout your pregnancy.  I would view it the same as caffeine or any other kind of diet related indulgence. I don't think it's selfish to have a coffee when you're pregnant: that's not the same as downing 2 pots.  I don't think it's selfish to have an ice cream when you're pregnant: that's not the same as eating nothing but crap.  I don't think it's selfish to have a glass of wine when you're pregnant: that's not the same as being a binge drinker.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Why do they have to make it smell so good if you can't eat it?? BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagelindseybell3:

I don't think it's fair to say drinking a glass of wine is selfish.  What about when you're breastfeeding? You will get a lot of ppl making comments about how "selfish" that is too, but if you're breastfeeding long term (I breastfed for 18 months and now I'm pregnant again!) that's a long time to not have a drink.  And honestly, pumping and dumping is a massive waste of time.

The truth is there are NO studies that say drinking in moderation hurts your baby; there are only cases of FAS where women have continually participated in binge drinking throughout your pregnancy.  I would view it the same as caffeine or any other kind of diet related indulgence. I don't think it's selfish to have a coffee when you're pregnant: that's not the same as downing 2 pots.  I don't think it's selfish to have an ice cream when you're pregnant: that's not the same as eating nothing but crap.  I don't think it's selfish to have a glass of wine when you're pregnant: that's not the same as being a binge drinker.

Completely agree- it offends me to hear moms call me selfish because I choose to do something that is okay'ed by the medical professionals I trust. I think I am far from a selfish parent- I sacrifice TONS for my children and I think people are in for a rude awakening in realizing that there is very little you can control about what happens to your children (esp. when health is involved). I didn't drink a drop during my first pregnancy and my DS has tons of medical special needs- I did drink occasionally during my 2nd pregnancy and DD is healthy as a horse. Binge drinking is selfish but no doctor would ever okay that either...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My OB told me her personal opinion is no alcohol. I have decided not to drink based on a few things: 1. Her opinion; 2. the fact that American wines have much higher alcohol contents than European wines (when people cite to Euros drinking more during pregnancy than we do); 3. I do not want a SIP of wine, nor do I want a little taste. I want a BIG overserved glass of wine and I figure if I am buzzed it is probably going to affect the LO, so I would rather wait it out. I got through the 4th of July, my birthday, college football season with seven Saturdays watching other people drink and my DH's 40th birthday, I think I can make it to the due date.

I do not judge others that chose to drink, but I am just more comfortable following my OB's recommendation.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageskyllingstadl:

I didn't drink a drop during my first pregnancy and my DS has tons of medical special needs- I did drink occasionally during my 2nd pregnancy and DD is healthy as a horse.

I agree with you that much of our LO's health we can't control. But you know FOR SURE that you didn't contribute to your DS's issues by drinking. That's precious peace of mind. But what if it was the case that you had a glass of wine every week with your DS? If I was in that position I would be wracked with guilt that maybe it was the alcohol that contributed to the issues. Of course it's likely it didn't, but that question would always haunt me.

That's my # 1 reason for not drinking.

I have a friend whose child has developmental delays - nothing they can attribute to a medical cause like autism or a mental defect, but definitely very far delayed. At first she beat herself up a lot wondering was it something that she did that caused it. But she did all the "right" stuff and never smoked or drank so she accepted that these things happen and it's not her fault. That would have been impossible to do if she had been drinking.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• imagecaladpi02:

I do not want a SIP of wine, nor do I want a little taste. I want a BIG overserved glass of wine and I figure if I am buzzed it is probably going to affect the LO, so I would rather wait it out.

This is my # 2 reason for not drinking Smile

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• imageskyllingstadl:
    imagelindseybell3:

I don't think it's fair to say drinking a glass of wine is selfish.  What about when you're breastfeeding? You will get a lot of ppl making comments about how "selfish" that is too, but if you're breastfeeding long term (I breastfed for 18 months and now I'm pregnant again!) that's a long time to not have a drink.  And honestly, pumping and dumping is a massive waste of time.

Completely agree- it offends me to hear moms call me selfish because I choose to do something that is okay'ed by the medical professionals I trust. I think I am far from a selfish parent- I sacrifice TONS for my children and I think people are in for a rude awakening in realizing that there is very little you can control about what happens to your children (esp. when health is involved). I didn't drink a drop during my first pregnancy and my DS has tons of medical special needs- I did drink occasionally during my 2nd pregnancy and DD is healthy as a horse. Binge drinking is selfish but no doctor would ever okay that either...

I am with you ladies on this! I think it is wrong for people to be so judgmental on a topic that is as controversial and as unsure as it is. I didn't find out I was pregnant until 6 weeks and during that time I consumed quite a few alcoholic beverages. Those few weeks are much more crucial in terms of development and the fetus is much more susceptible to teratogen damage at that point compared to the second and third trimester. I have not had a drink, but it is because of people like those who have posted that it is "selfish." I am scared to be judged. If you feel comfortable, do it!

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Photo of the Remarkables mountain range in Queenstown, New Zealand.
  • imagerm2013:
    imageskyllingstadl:

I didn't drink a drop during my first pregnancy and my DS has tons of medical special needs- I did drink occasionally during my 2nd pregnancy and DD is healthy as a horse.

I agree with you that much of our LO's health we can't control. But you know FOR SURE that you didn't contribute to your DS's issues by drinking. That's precious peace of mind. But what if it was the case that you had a glass of wine every week with your DS? If I was in that position I would be wracked with guilt that maybe it was the alcohol that contributed to the issues. Of course it's likely it didn't, but that question would always haunt me.

That's my # 1 reason for not drinking.

I have a friend whose child has developmental delays - nothing they can attribute to a medical cause like autism or a mental defect, but definitely very far delayed. At first she beat herself up a lot wondering was it something that she did that caused it. But she did all the "right" stuff and never smoked or drank so she accepted that these things happen and it's not her fault. That would have been impossible to do if she had been drinking.

They don't  know FOR SURE what caused any of the problems- we have a diagnosis that explains some stuff but not all. I think you are setting yourself up to feel like a failure as a parent if you choose to blame yourself for everything bad that could happen to your child. Obviously if I had a child that was born with FAS than I would feel pretty guilty but I don't binge drink so thats not even a possibility. I also can say that most parents of SN kids blame themselves at some point regardless of their behavior or what they chose to do or not do- its just the nature of the beast. I've chosen to accept that the Lord gave me a child with specific needs for a specific reason. I'll never know why and it honestly doesnt bother me nor do I question why. I guess my point is even if a mom drank in moderation during her pregnancy I still don't think it would be okay for her to blame herself for any problems her child might have UNLESS they are directly  elated to drinking. If you go to that point- what if a child has ADHD, and the mom drank caffeine during pregnancy- would it be okay for her to blame herself? no! Too much mommy guilt and blame exist as it is- no need to add to it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagecovertxxamour:
    imageMrs MoJoRisin:

This. Why risk it? 
    BabyFruit TickerLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
     TTC since 07/2010 BFP #1 11/10/11 Natural MC at 6w4d BFP #2 01/23/12 MC at 12w. 2x Cytotek 1x Methergen; Genetic testing found Factor V Leiden and MTHFR. Started extra Folic Acid and Baby Aspirin then Lovenox BFP #3 07/02/12 EDD 3/13/13 . Rainbow Baby born at 37 weeks, all natural, after 10 weeks of bedrest. BFP #4 ST. PATTY'S DAY 2014. EDD 11/25/14 
  • I would not touch it! imo However when my LO arrives Im going to pump a little a drink some Sangria ( I have some on chill in the fridge O_o)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMrs MoJoRisin:

well that's okay, rude posters like you annoy me too. And I'm not sorry for being blunt. 

Thanks for your opinions everyone! I was just curious! 

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• I say have a glass of sangria and enjoy every sip!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"