May 2013 Moms
Options

UO!

Let's make them good today, ladies!

Re: UO!

• Options
    My UO is that I think women who get their hair and makeup done to give birth are crazy. You are going through one of the toughest things in life, I expect you to be sweaty and messy. I get you want pictures of your newborn, but seriously...makeup?
  • Options
    I don't understand complaints about "bump composition." This is the one time in our lives when we can let it all hang out! Who cares that the portion of your belly sticking out past your jeans is [technically] just displaced intestine? It wouldn't be doing that it if you weren't pregnant! I like to think that if the changes to one's midsection are caused by pregnancy, then it's a bump. It really doesn't matter what shape it is or what's inside!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I think a lot of the testing pregnant healthy young women get done is really unnecessary and raises the cost of healthcare that ends up affecting everyone. The chances of something coming from it (i.e. birth defects, genetic disorders, chromosome abnormalities) is so small that it's really just a law-suit prevention measure in most cases (not all cases, I know there are exceptions, but most).

That being said, I have the greatest sympathy and respect for people who have to go through finding out and subsequently dealing with these issues and by no means want to trivialize that hardship, I just think that the likelihood of some of these issues is so remote that it boggles my mind that some tests are so common.

I'll go ahead and start putting on my armor. 

She is here! 5-29-13

• Options
    imageAllieAGame:

I think a lot of the testing pregnant healthy young women get done is really unnecessary and raises the cost of healthcare that ends up affecting everyone. The chances of something coming from it (i.e. birth defects, genetic disorders, chromosome abnormalities) is so small that it's really just a law-suit prevention measure in most cases (not all cases, I know there are exceptions, but most).

I'm young(ish) and healthy and paid OOP for all of the testing that my insurance wouldn't cover because it's important to me. Sure, the chances are small, but it's still going to happen to someone, and I want to have all of the information possible so that I can make the best decisions for me and my family, whether that be terminating a pregnancy in the worst case or having the appropriate pre-natal and pediatric care in place in less severe cases.

I think it should be made available to EVERYONE, not just those who are AMA, especially now that tests like MT21 and Harmony are able to be performed at such low costs.

Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • Options

I hate Elf on the Shelf.

I think that's a good, seasonally appropriate UO :)

I also think that the spreading tradition of presents on St. Nick's Day is total BS. It's up there with presents for easter. What happened to candy? Why does every "holiday" now come with presents?

ETA for background: I'm agnostic, raised catholic until I was 12. So I was raised with all of these holidays and we didn't have presents except for one year when my aunts bought us presents for easter and my parents were all WTF?!

Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
  • Options
    I get everyone is excited about finding out the sex but does everyone need to start a seperate thread? Can you just update your siggy?
  • Options
    imageAllieAGame:

That being said, I have the greatest sympathy and respect for people who have to go through finding out and subsequently dealing with these issues and by no means want to trivialize that hardship, I just think that the likelihood of some of these issues is so remote that it boggles my mind that some tests are so common.

EDIT No need for armour. We are all entitled to our opinions.

I guess I would have to say that I know more than a few people who did find something wrong during prenatal testing and none of them were advanced maternal age. They were well under 30 with no family history of anything and no high risk factors. In a couple instances because of the testing the life of the baby was saved.

While the chances might be remote things are going to happen to someone and some people want to be better aware if it's them. Sometimes it can be life-saving.

Maybe after you have seen things happen to someone you know or to someone in real life your thoughts on these things change.

• Options

to give a warning I am in a crankapotamus mood today...

My UO, is some people need to step back and stop making the Bump their personal blog, do we need to see 4 or 5 new threads a day about a fight with your DH, family member drama, every little ache and pain in your pregnancy, etc.

It has gotten to the point where if I see certain posters names I just ignore the thread.

take a minute to think "will this thread contribute anything of value to the board?"

end rant

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagejerseygirl81:

I hate Elf on the Shelf.

I also think that the spreading tradition of presents on St. Nick's Day is total BS. It's up there with presents for easter. What happened to candy? Why does every "holiday" now come with presents?

ETA for background: I'm agnostic, raised catholic until I was 12. So I was raised with all of these holidays and we didn't have presents except for one year when my aunts bought us presents for easter and my parents were all WTF?!

Me too! But it's not the concept I hate, it's how ridiculous parents get promoting the idea. Is the Elf supposed to be bad? Because I keep seeing pictures of huge messes that the "Elf" supposedly did...from the same parents who complain relentlessly about how stressed out and over-worked they are. I get the "reports back to Santa" thing, but not at the expense of an otherwise clean house and personal sanity.

She is here! 5-29-13

• Options

imageKateRN08:
    imageWifeyProverbs31:
    My UO is that I think women who get their hair and makeup done to give birth are crazy. You are going through one of the toughest things in life, I expect you to be sweaty and messy. I get you want pictures of your newborn, but seriously...makeup?

I fully intend on doing my hair and makeup before visitors see me and the baby. 

I can't think of a good UO right now.

This. When I gave birth to DD, I didn't even let my own parents into the room until my hair and makeup were done. As the single most important day of my life, you can bet there were loads of photos taken so I'm glad I did.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageAllieAGame:

Me too! But it's not the concept I hate, it's how ridiculous parents get promoting the idea. Is the Elf supposed to be bad? Because I keep seeing pictures of huge messes that the "Elf" supposedly did...from the same parents who complain relentlessly about how stressed out and over-worked they are. I get the "reports back to Santa" thing, but not at the expense of an otherwise clean house and personal sanity.

You need to read this article! Overachieving Elf on the Shelf Mommies

Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
  • Options
    imageblush64:
    imageAllieAGame:

EDIT No need for armour. We are all entitled to our opinions.

I guess I would have to say that I know more than a few people who did find something wrong during prenatal testing and none of them were advanced maternal age. They were well under 30 with no family history of anything and no high risk factors. In a couple instances because of the testing the life of the baby was saved.

While the chances might be remote things are going to happen to someone and some people want to be better aware if it's them. Sometimes it can be life-saving.

Maybe after you have seen things happen to someone you know or to someone in real life your thoughts on these things change.

Yes, perhaps, I'll definitely concede this point. I'll admit that none of my friends (that I know of) have had any issues like I described (I'm almost 30, and in my friend group quite late to the baby game so I've seen a lot of babies over the years, though I am no expert). I'm sure that's not the case for everyone, as you've evidenced. It's not that I have a problem with the tests, per se. I'm glad we have the medical science available. I just hate what it does to health care costs and the already paranoid mentality we have regarding pregnancy and all the possible things that could go wrong, which of course I fall victim to as well.

She is here! 5-29-13

• Options

My UO is that I HATE when pregnant woman complain about pregnancy. I get that their back is hurting or their boobs are hurting or that they are getting "fat" but seriously?! Take a minute to think of the blessings you are getting. I know many woman who would give anything to be going through the very things you are complaining about! 

For instance, I have a friend who would give just about anything to experience morning sickness because she has had 4 miscarriages and had never had morning sickness to give her hope of a healthy baby. (Yes, I realize that not everyone who doesn't have morning sickness miscarries but typically morning sickness= healthy baby)

I also have a friend who spent her life savings on IVF just to have it not work. She will never know what it's like to have a "cute baby bump" or feel the baby kick. So please do the rest of the world a favor and stop complaining about how fat you are or how your back hurts and blah blah blah.... No one wants to hear that. 

EDIT: rant over. sorry its just been bugging me lately how no one seems to be able to appreciate what they have. (P.S. this is NOT coming from a particular person!) 

• Options

I think Elf on a Shelf is cute (in a creepy way) and if my kid wants one I will definitely do it.r*-

My kid farking looooooves Barney.   Seriously she gets so excited and starts dancing around when the little song comes on.  It's so bad that the second we start up Netflix (that is what we play it on) she starts screaming "Bahhhh-deeeee".  The UO is that I actually don't find him that annoying.  Now Calliou on the other hand, that kid is one whiney brat.

I took a shower the morning of my induction, blew dry my hair, and put on makeup.  I wore my rings and my necklace I always wear as well as earrings.  I also brought my makeup to put on every day in the hospital.  It made me feel like a human again after pushing an 8.5 pound baby out of my vagina.  I'll do it again for this one. :)  Well unless I go into labor and go to the hospital in the middle of the night. I probably won't get ready for that.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imageAllieAGame:
    imagejerseygirl81:

I hate Elf on the Shelf.

I totally agree.  People go way overboard with it.  One of my friends just posted a picture of her son finding out that their elf had turned their milk green.  ???  Why would he do that?

My mom did a similar thing with me when I was little, but it was based on a short story my mom wrote about an elf named Aliwishus that my grandmother had met during her time overseas in WW2.  He was my grandmother's friend, she had saved his life (she was a nurse) so he would keep an eye on her kids and grandkids and report back to her and Santa.  He never showed up doing stupid things.  It was just a story that mom read us.  She did have a little elf (that looks just like today's elf on the shelf) that she would sit up on top of the grandfather clock as decoration, but that's all it was.

I can't see how it helps discipline your kids though.  And it seems like way too much work.  Plus, I don't want green milk.

Mom to two beautiful girls and forever labor buddy to the fab lady MandaPanda518!
  • Options

I think this issue is 50/50, but I love maternity pants and started wearning them pretty early on. I don't get why people fight it.To me, "I did the rubberband trick until I was 7 months!" = "I was unnecessarily uncomfortable for a really long time".

Baby Boy #1: 7.7.11

Baby Boy #2: 5.6.13

Baby Boy #3: edd 4.25.15

• Options
    imagejerseygirl81:

I hate Elf on the Shelf.

What is Elf on the Shelf?! 

• Options

I hate office holiday parties.  So stupid and overdone and unnecessary.  Rather than taking 3 hours in the middle of the day to make us take public transportation (that we have to pay for ourselves) to a pool hall they reserved for us to purchase our own food but "maybe" they'll cover appetizers and desserts, I would much rather they let us out 3 hours early.  I'm totally not going unless someone drives me over.  And I get that it's the government so they can't use public funds for the holiday party, but seriously, if you're collecting money for "dress-down Fridays" ask us what we want.  We'd be much happier with subs from Potbelly's and letting us off early than the stupid pool hall thing. 

And then I have with my smaller group next week which I will go to. 

And then next Friday I have my husband's company party at lunch during the day on a Friday (my day off, so squeezing it in between appointments).  How do you expect spouses to attend that?  But at least they are supposedly covering the costs. 

And we just had Thanksgiving pot luck (which was ok I guess). 

But seriously, we don't want to spend money to "socialize" with our colleagues.  Just let me go home and rest. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagekmb6881:

I think this issue is 50/50, but I love maternity pants and started wearning them pretty early on. I don't get why people fight it.To me, "I did the rubberband trick until I was 7 months!" = "I was unnecessarily uncomfortable for a really long time".

Or it means maternity pants fell off/down your ass until about 7 months and the hair tye trick allowed you to wear normal pants that didn't sag. 

• Options
    My unpopular opinion is that you should be able to express your unpopular opinion in UO threads without having to debate/justify it. It is already understood that it is not a popular opinion.
  • Options
    I think office (and some others) Christmas cards are a waste of time.  I DON'T want a card with your signature in it.  That's not heartfelt or Christmas-y to me.  If you are going to take the time to give people Christmas cards, take the time to right something, anything thoughtful in it.  It's a waste of money and a waste of paper to just sign your name. 
    BabyName Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageMotherMayEye:
    My unpopular opinion is that you should be able to express your unpopular opinion in UO threads without having to debate/justify it. It is already understood that it is not a popular opinion.

But that takes all of the fun out of it ;)

Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
  • Options
    imageMommaG123:

I think Elf on a Shelf is cute (in a creepy way) and if my kid wants one I will definitely do it.r*-

My kid farking looooooves Barney.   Seriously she gets so excited and starts dancing around when the little song comes on.  It's so bad that the second we start up Netflix (that is what we play it on) she starts screaming "Bahhhh-deeeee".  The UO is that I actually don't find him that annoying.  Now Calliou on the other hand, that kid is one whiney brat.

I took a shower the morning of my induction, blew dry my hair, and put on makeup.  I wore my rings and my necklace I always wear as well as earrings.  I also brought my makeup to put on every day in the hospital.  It made me feel like a human again after pushing an 8.5 pound baby out of my vagina.  I'll do it again for this one. :)  Well unless I go into labor and go to the hospital in the middle of the night. I probably won't get ready for that.

Haha, I just snorted! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagejerseygirl81:

imageMotherMayEye:

But that takes all of the fun out of it ;)

Lol this.  There is no such thing as a flame free Friday confession or an UO where no one comments on your statements.  That would just be boring.

But then I guess even by posting this we are breaking your UO rule. Stick out tongue 

Seriously though I think it's fun.  It actually brings some discussion and life into the board! 

• Options

My UO is especially unpoplar but here goes...

I hate belly pics on Facebook.  I think it's awkward. In particular, I have this one FB friend who lifts up her shirt and shows her actual skin every time she posts a pic of her belly.  I mean, really?  Do we all need to see you uncovered body???  Keep that to yourself.  I enjoy sharing my pregnancy with my friends and family, but I am not planning posting any pictures of fatty pregnant body for the world to see. Sorry.

• Options

It drives me crazy when people ask how my pregnancy is going and when I say that I've been feeling good and no morning sickness they almost seem disappointed that I don't have any good stories (and frankly, I'm not going to discuss my constipation issues in the grocery store).  So then I hear all about how they had a hard time, or their wife, or their sister, etc. and how awful it was. 

Yes, you want to bond and somehow feel a part of my pregnancy and be able to relate.  Blah, blah, blah.  Really, I just don't need that information.  Let me enjoy my mostly symptom free pregnany in peace! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
    Third Son - due June 9, 2018
  • Options

imageKateRN08:
    imageWifeyProverbs31:
    I fully intend on doing my hair and makeup before visitors see me and the baby. I can't think of a good UO right now.

As do I.  I don't want to hate absolutely every single picture of me from that day for the rest of my life.

• Options

This is my very first UO! Here goes-

I can't stand women who use their period as a right to be a biitch! Now, don't get me wrong, I know that for some women it's worse than others as far as pain or being uncomfortable, but I have actually known women who say, "Next week is my period and I'll be a ***." Keep yourself under control and don't make others miserable because you might not feel wonderful! BLAH. Rant over.

• Options
    imageCharlotteJ2:

I can't stand women who use their period as a right to be a biitch! Now, don't get me wrong, I know that for some women it's worse than others as far as pain or being uncomfortable, but I have actually known women who say, "Next week is my period and I'll be a ***." Keep yourself under control and don't make others miserable because you might not feel wonderful! BLAH. Rant over.

I agree although I also feel the same way about pregnancy.  I don't think it gives you and excuse and I roll my eyes when people say things like "I was such a mega B!tch to my husband last night because of these pregnancy hormones". 

• Options
    imagebhjones1980:

My UO, is some people need to step back and stop making the Bump their personal blog, do we need to see 4 or 5 new threads a day about a fight with your DH, family member drama, every little ache and pain in your pregnancy, etc.

It has gotten to the point where if I see certain posters names I just ignore the thread.

take a minute to think "will this thread contribute anything of value to the board?"

end rant

I totally agree with this. I have a few posters that come to mind... I guess we are not the only one annoyed with it because they usually have very few replies. One day I will tell them to get a blog.

My UO is that I think it's weird when people post a separate picture of their growing bellies on a day other than Wednesday.  

BabyFruit Ticker
    16 Ch. du Barrage, Lac-Beauport

• Options
    imageMommaG123:
    imageCharlotteJ2:

I agree although I also feel the same way about pregnancy.  I don't think it gives you and excuse and I roll my eyes when people say things like "I was such a mega B!tch to my husband last night because of these pregnancy hormones". 

Oh yes, I agree with this too! In my opinion nothing gives me the "right" to be a b!tch to others, especially my husband, just because I might not feel the best. You had to know when you decided to get pregnant or just got pregnant that it wouldn't be sunshine and roses. 

• Options

imagedoribeth851:
    My UO is that I actually like baby bedding sets, even though they might be a waste of money. We had one with DS, and plan on purchasing one for this baby's nursery as well (even the bumper)!!

Me too! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageCharlotteJ2:
    imageMommaG123:
    imageCharlotteJ2:

Oh yes, I agree with this too! In my opinion nothing gives me the "right" to be a b!tch to others, especially my husband, just because I might not feel the best. You had to know when you decided to get pregnant or just got pregnant that it wouldn't be sunshine and roses. 

Yessssssssss. All of this! And then the same women will complain that they can't understand why all their friends stopped hanging out when them when they got pregnant. They will, of course, blame it on pregnancy jealousy.

She is here! 5-29-13

• Options
    imagebhjones1980:

end rant

So much this.

People who have to ask a question about every.single.thing amaze me. 

I also agree with the belly pics outside of Wed.  Especially when they preface it by saying "I know its not HDBD but I dont care"

Well we care and dont need to see your AW post.

http://oi58.tinypic.com/nqv6fk.jpg

DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    My UO this week is that although I think Elf is a cute movie, I find both Will Ferrell and Zoey Deschanel to be very, very annoying.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imagedoribeth851:
    My UO is that I actually like baby bedding sets, even though they might be a waste of money. We had one with DS, and plan on purchasing one for this baby's nursery as well (even the bumper)!!

:)  Me too.  We've used everything but the bumper.  She didn't start using her blanket until about 12 or 13 months but she loves that thing now and carries it in to us when it's time to rock "night night".  

• Options
    imageBlueyed228:
    imagebhjones1980:

end rant

So much this.

People who have to ask a question about every.single.thing amaze me. 

I also agree with the belly pics outside of Wed.  Especially when they preface it by saying "I know its not HDBD but I dont care"

Well we care and dont need to see your AW post.

I never understood that either. I thought that's why we made a day for that?

And about the hair and makeup thing, I wouldn't pay to have someone do it. But I plan on fixing my hair and putting on some makeup that day...I don't want to scare people.  

I don't think this is unpopular but it bugs me a lot. I hate when people ask me if I've been eating good? Do they think I eat bad or something? It's my body, my pregnancy...I'll eat what I want. Btw I don't eat unhealthy I just hate when people assume things.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicphoto r0614p_zpsojhlssmw.gif
                            Anniversary
                           BFP#1- April 24th. M/c-April 30th. BFP#2-September 11th. EDD: May 25th. 
                                      It's a girl!!! (: Madison arrived on May 19th at 6:35 am (:
                                                               * July '15 January siggy challenge.*
  • Options
    I LOVE all Christmas movies... except A Christmas Story. It drives me nuts and I can't stand it. DH knows it and turns it on every year. He's sooo thoughtful. ;)
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options

this is more a bafflement at a common opinion than a UO, but I really do not at all get it when people complain about bumpers in pictures/people buying bedding sets. When I see a bumper in a pic, I don't automatically assume the person is using the bumper in the crib while their infant sleeps. . 

I make my bed every day and put several pillows and a throw on it that I take off every night before going to sleep, and I plan on "making" our baby's crib in a similar way. Bumpers are attractive and during the day our crib will have bumpers, plushes, etc in it but they will not be there at night once the baby moves from our room into the crib. I hate that everyone assumes otherwise.  Later on when the baby is old enough to not suffocate on the bumpers, I may use them if we happen to have a baby who gets his/her limbs stuck or hits his/her head often,

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"