Baby Names

Vérène?

How would you pronounce this (I know how it is pronounced, but I'm curious about how others would)? Would you use it as a first name or relegate to a middle name? Or, would you go with Vera? 

It's a derivative of Veronica, which is my mother's name and she passed when I was very young. We've set aside Ronin/Ronan for a potential son to honor her memory, and are trying to narrow down a daughter's potential name. I cannot use her given name, it's much too painful for my grandparents.

Re: Vérène?

• I've never heard the name before. At first glance I'd say Veer-Reen, then if I thought about it for a minute, maybe Vee-Reen or Vay-rane?

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Like Vayhr ehn I'd say [not exact but that's the closest way I can think of typing it]. I've never heard it either but that's what the accents indicate.

Do you live in a French speaking area? If not I would mn it since most non French speakers are befuddled by accents.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Loading the player...
  • vair.een is how I would say it I think. I have never seen this name. very different!
    trying for #1 since May 2012... we're adopting! bringing home baby boy in january 2015!

photo tacos.gif
    Texas forever. 
  • imagestrawberrytree:
    Like Vayhr ehn I'd say [not exact but that's the closest way I can think of typing it].

This way, with the stress on the 2nd syllable. I think it's lovely but many people won't know how to pronounce it at first. I wouldn't let that stop me from using a name I love though, people butcher even the simplest names all the time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The French pronounciation would be like vay-WREN.  Accent on the second syllable.  It's pretty, and you'd probably be fine in french speaking parts of Canada.  Otherwise, it's a lot of explaining.   
  • If I just read it I would say, Vernie.
  • Personally I would go with Vera we live in Ohio with the Midwest accent. No one around here would know how to pronounce it, and I wouldn't want any pronunciation issues.

B.R.C. 5/08-- N.R.C. 5/10--S.R.C. 3/14
  • image1covejack:
    The French pronounciation would be like vay-WREN.  Accent on the second syllable.  It's pretty, and you'd probably be fine in french speaking parts of Canada.  Otherwise, it's a lot of explaining.   

This is how I remember my french from college as well. We don't live in a french speaking area at all, which is why I'm considering using the Vera derivative, even though I prefer V?r?ne. I'm glad to see it's liked! :)

• I don't know French, but I would guess something like Ver-en-ay, rhymes with Renee.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I'd say vah.reen
  • My guess would be vay-REHN based on the accents.  Pretty!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you all for your opinions! FH is concerned about pronunciation, (mind you he has a common male name, Kevin and my name is uncommon and an alternative spelling and I don't mind it at all). Therefore, we've agreed Vera will work best for us. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"