School-Aged Children

Kindle Fire/Nook

Just doing a little research on tablets.  Im pretty clueless when it comes to them!!  My dd loves grabbing my iphone to play games/ loves to watch shows/play games on the computer....Are any of these kid friendly??  Thoughts on either one of them??  Pros or Cons....Thanks

Re: Kindle Fire/Nook

• We got Fires for both of our kids last Christmas.  They have used them a lot.  They like the apps that are available (same as droid apps) and I like that they can find lots of free ones to play.  Only drawback has been that it is not 3G, so they have to hook up to wireless in order to do some things which obviously doesn't work in the car.  Movies and music can be downloaded so that is nice. 

No idea on the nook, sorry.  

• We are looking at getting one of these for my DD who is 12.  Basically, either brand of tablet/e-reader does three things:

--functions as an e-reader

--allows the user to download apps and use them

--allows internet access

Most kids will use one of these as a hand-held gaming device.  So they are both exactly as kid-friendly as the games/content your child downloads.  You are putting the internet at your child's fingertips on a portable device.

In my house, managing screen time is a significant challenge.  We watch no TV, but my kids each have a Nintendo DS,  we have a Wii and a PS3, we have a computer and a laptop.  Other than Nintendo DS, we don't allow our 8 year old to use any of these in his room.  Our 12 y/o can use the laptop in her room with permission for homework and to check email.  Neither my H nor I have smart phones.  Even without TV and smart phones, we still feel like our kids spend a lot of time in front of a screen.

At this point, we are leaning away from Kindle Fire and toward a plain Kindle e-reader for our 12 y/o.  My 8 y/o son would love having access to Angry Birds, but he doesn't need yet ANOTHER way to play video games.

If you are just looking for a kid-friendly device for your child to play games on, maybe consider a Nintendo DS.  Cheaper and without as much internet access. 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Loading the player...
  • We got Kindles this year for Christmas (for us, not the kids) but I am going to buy this and allow my kids to use it for reading only (they have other handhelds for apps/videos.)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000863021&tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=26540541930&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2465433271166072607&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_21dtxc8pqn_b

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"