Cloth Diapering
Options

I Smell Monkey Farts

Today when I was stuffing pockets, I kept smelling a faint odor of urine. I kept smelling of my diapers, but every one I checked didn't have any kind of odor. I am thinking now that it may have been coming from the nearby diaper pail which was open with one wet diaper in it. Anyway...while I was sniffing diapers, I found one that unmistakably smelled like Monkey Farts (CJ Butter). I thought it was CD safe! Why is the smell lingering? Granted, it is a pleasant smell, but I am concerned now that I am doing something wrong with my laundry process. Right now I use mostly all pockets and a couple of Flips. I have an LG FL. I run the CD's through one cold rinse with no spin (so they are very wet and heavy), then a hot wash (using Charlie's soap lately), and two cold rinses. I have been using 1/4 tsp of the Charlie's like the directions say. Am I doing something wrong?

Re: I Smell Monkey Farts

• Options

imageunaveragejane:
    Today when I was stuffing pockets, I kept smelling a faint odor of urine. I kept smelling of my diapers, but every one I checked didn't have any kind of odor. I am thinking now that it may have been coming from the nearby diaper pail which was open with one wet diaper in it. Anyway...while I was sniffing diapers, I found one that unmistakably smelled like Monkey Farts (CJ Butter). I thought it was CD safe! Why is the smell lingering? Granted, it is a pleasant smell, but I am concerned now that I am doing something wrong with my laundry process. Right now I use mostly all pockets and a couple of Flips. I have an LG FL. I run the CD's through one cold rinse with no spin (so they are very wet and heavy), then a hot wash (using Charlie's soap lately), and two cold rinses. I have been using 1/4 tsp of the Charlie's like the directions say. Am I doing something wrong?

Teaspoon or tablespoon?  Either way, I would increase your detergent.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

i buy my CJ's from Jack Be Natural's site. They have a new warning with the CJs:

CJ's has informed us that their CJ's BUTTer product, although cloth diaper safe, may cause repelling issues when used in conjunction with a natural cloth diaper detergent.  From our experience as well as our customer's experience natural detergents have a tougher time removing the residue from this product; hence, the residue build up may cause your diapers to repell and leak.  Any build up will occur more quickly if the CJ's is applied liberally. This is in no way suggesting that CJ's and/or natural detergents are inferior products.  Unfortunately, their combined use may cause this issue and we want all of our customers, new and existing, to be aware.

They recommended using an oxygen cleaner to help get rid of the residue. i use alot of CJs and haven't noticed repelling issues yet, but i occasionally throw some oxy clean into my wash cycle to help. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks, all. I will throw some oxy in with the next load.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"