February 2013 Moms
Options

Proper protocol for this...

What's proper protocol for getting things like addresses from people so they can be sent invitations to an event that you have no idea if they'd want to attend in the first place? I feel weird messaging people and asking :/

Most of my friends are still child-less, and scattered about the state a lot in the past few years. There are some that I just know off the bat won't be interested in attending a baby shower, but my mother asked me to get her a list of names and addresses so that she can send out the invitations soon...so I need to come up with addresses of people that would attend.

I just feel weird messaging or calling someone and saying "Hey, wanna come to a party and buy stuff for my kid?" in order to get their address... Do I just ask people for their address without explanation? I feel weird doing that, too, kind of. It's kind of creepy.

What do I do, people, I have a feeling you're all less socially awkward than I am and will have better ideas/solutions.

Pregnancy Ticker image

Re: Proper protocol for this...

• Options

I not sure why you would send invitations to people you know won't want to come. I didn't send invites to anyone far away except for my best friend. 

For people that I didn't know their address, I just sent them a quick fb message saying "Hey! What's your address? I want to send you something!" They all just replied with their address. They might think it's a shower invite, or maybe just a Christmas card. I wouldn't send an invite to anyone who I didn't think would be interested in coming though.  

K & C | 9.17.10
    "With You By My Side, I Will Never Be Lost"
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Friends of mine in the past have sent group emails / FB messages saying "The baby shower is this date. If you want an invitation, send me your address by this date."

If you want, you might just add, "Don't feel pressured to buy a gift, I would just love to see you there to help me celebrate!" or something like that.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageJumpAroundBucky:

I not sure why you would send invitations to people you know won't want to come. I didn't send invites to anyone far away except for my best friend.

I added that part because it excluded having to ask those people, no because I was going to message them, I was more concerned about the ones that I don't know if they'd be interested or not because I didn't want to send a message that seemed like I was assuming they'd want to.

My best friend lives in another country, so sadly she won't be attending, she's the only one that 100% I knew would want to be there lol :(

Pregnancy Ticker image
  • Options
    I would send them an e-mail saying something like, "XYZ is throwing a baby shower for our LO, and I'd love to see you there! Since I don't have your current address, could you send it to me so we can send you an invitation?" If they don't want to come to your shower, they can always decline after getting the invitation. And I personally don't think it comes across as "come and buy something for my baby!" - baby showers are a normal event when you're pregnant and it's perfectly normal to invite people to them. How much they spend on your baby if they come is up to them.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Options

I agree with a PP. I just sent a text that say, "Hey! Can I have your address?" I got responses from everyone within minutes, except maybe 2 people. Not a single girl asked why I needed it, and it was a nice way to open up a conversation with a few girls I haven't heard from in a while.

And for the two who didn't respond, I won't invite them. Easy. 

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"