January 2013 Moms
Options

Maternity Leave Help Please

Apologizing because it?s long first.  I have my big meeting on Monday with my owner regarding everything maternity. I work for a small healthcare company so I don't get paid maternity leave. I have 25 days vacation, 2 days sick and 2 floating holidays. I've been at this job for 5 years in January just got a raise this year finally (very little) but have never had an increase in vacation. To be honest my owner doesn't even count vacations or monitor them nor has he ever had me monitor them but I do it on the side because my nurses take advantage of it (they are allowed 14 days vacation-one nurse has already taken over 21 days then other is going on a month of paid vacations). I can't afford to not have any income while on maternity leave but I also don't think its fair to use up all my vacation/sick time when it?s not monitored since I will be taking a few vacations through the year to go visit family with LO. I don't want to throw it in his face that he doesn't monitor vacations or the fact of how its abused I want to focus on myself and the company.

My plan is this:

2 weeks vacation time used 2 weeks paid by the company (completely off work)

5th week I would start answering phone calls from my assistants part time with full pay

6th week work 2x a week from home 3 days off (paid 40 hours)

7th week work 3-4x a week from home

8th week (if applicable) come in office 2x a week; work from home the rest

9th week (if applicable) come in 3x a week; work from home the rest

What do you think? Is this not reasonable, to reasonable? I am the first in the company (everyone else is older and already had kids before they were employed) so this is a first time thing that has come up. I know my doctor said she would not release me to drive for at least 6 weeks (I commute 45 miles one way). Be honest please.

Married Since 05/14/11 BFP #1- 5/30/10 HB 6/12/10-Its twins MC-6/21/2010 CP July 2011 BFP #3-1/5/12 EDD- 9/11/12 MC- 1/17/2012 diagnosed with FVL 3/30/12 BFP #4-05/21/12- EDD 01/29/13 Our rainbow girl Cameron Rae born 1/8/13 @ 5lbs10oz 19inches long. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Maternity Leave Help Please

• Options
    Regardless of not getting paid maternity dont you still get short term disability? Not sure how this works out in other states, but I am in NY and that is the rule. Once you have LO you have 6 weeks vaginal and 8 c sec depending on which you have. Granted its not a lot of money they will be giving you but at least its something...thats what im trying to make of it...along with breathing because its going to be stressfull regardless. lol No way around it. SO! With that being said, I would stand your ground with this boss and just explain that you love your job (butter him up lol) you really work something out that works better for you while out...tell him what you have planned ( even type if out like you did for us) and hey ill be prayin it goes your way... you have god on your side. You have to do whats right for you and your family first. GL! Let us know how it goes.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Have you considered taking partial pay? I only have enough time to take 4 weeks at 40 hours/week but I will be taking 20 hours/week for 8 weeks then going back part-time for a couple of weeks...that way our benefits are covered and we'll be getting some of my paycheck. Between not eating out as often & not having to pay for gas for me to get to work (65 mile commute) it will barely make a difference in our finances.
    imageimageAnniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Long term disability in my state is only if you elect coverage (pay an additional premium).  Not to be unsupportive, but I think expecting your boss to pay your maternity leave simply because they are lenient with vacation days is expecting too much.  You should be thankful for their generosity rather than ask for more.  You mention that you plan to take several vacations through out the year.  If they are lenient (like you say), you should still be able to take those if you use up your time for leave.  Just my opinion.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    No one knows your boss like you do so it is hard to really give an opinion. I think its worth a shot because you wont know unless you try however...if your boss says no, do not get discouraged. I think its a long shot personally but go for it. 
  • Options
    I personally think asking for full time pay while working only a couple days a week is a long shot but the worst they can say is no, right?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"