Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Vitamin d supplement for breastfed babies?

I am exclusively pumping and feeding breastmilk to my newborn twins. I was surprised that at the two week check up today, the pediatrician said I should give a vitamin d supplement to the babies. I'm reading up on this now and it appears to be a widely used practice but I'm just wondering if other moms were also told to do this. I have never seen anyone post about this.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Vitamin d supplement for breastfed babies?

• I was told this too with DS1 so I was a good mommy and tried to give him the vitamin. It is so gross. It stinks and it stains everything. He used to choke on it and hardly ever got any of it in. DS2s pedi told me to do the same thing, but she was kind of like "I know they're gross, my kids hated them too, didn't really take them and they're fine." I'm not worried I may try when he's a little older.

It's basically b/c all the formulas are fortified with vit D which is why they also tell you that if you ever start to use formula instead or if you supplement not to give them the vit D supplement.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Yep, my pedi said as long as he's receiving at least 50% breast milk, he needs the vitamin supplement.  My baby actually loves it.  I tasted it...  It tastes sort of like cough syrup.  Not delicious, but not horrible.  There are single drop formulas on Amazon, too (I think Carlson makes one).
    Me: 32 DH: 32
    Married: 05/31/2008
    DS: 11/06/2012 at 38w 1d
    M/C: 06/11/2015
    DD: 06/14/2016 at 37w 3d
  • Loading the player...
  • I think it is commonly recommended with breastfed babies. My doc encouraged it at DS's 2 week follow up. I have been trying to give it to DS but have not been consistent. He just doesn't like it much which makes it hard to give. If I try and use the dropper while he is breastfeeding he just pulls off the nipple. I have begun sitting him upright in my lap and putting the dropper to the back and side of his mouth to avoid the tongue thrust. He seems to get more this way but still spits out a bit. You definitely need a burpcloth ready to avoid stains on clothes. Otherwise, I try to get him out in the sun for 10-15 minutes if it is nice.
  • yep my pedi suggested it too and we have been doing the drops since then
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yup! I give him d drops. I EBF so one drop on the nipple and he's done. You can also put a drop on your finger and get them to suck for 30 seconds. Sounds better than what pp experienced with that brand.  

• they have my daughter on d. she takes 1ml a day and she loves it. i just stick the tip of the dropper in her mouth and she sucks it out. just to make sure she doesnt choke i give her the paci so she will swallow any left in her mouth.
  • imagekateraid:
    Yup! I give him d drops. I EBF so one drop on the nipple and he's done. You can also put a drop on your finger and get them to suck for 30 seconds. Sounds better than what pp experienced with that brand.nbsp;nbsp;

This.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  
  • DS1 absolutely refused to take any kind of drops, so I just quit trying.  With DS2, I spoke to the pediatrician and she said as long as I am taking 1,000 IU of Vitamin D3 then I don't have to give him the drops.  I'd much rather add one more vitamin for me to take than to fight and make sure he gets the drops.
    I: November 2011 
    M: November 2012
  • imageWVUPetunia:
    Yep, my pedi said as long as he's receiving at least 50% breast milk, he needs the vitamin supplement.  My baby actually loves it.  I tasted it...  It tastes sort of like cough syrup.  Not delicious, but not horrible.  There are single drop formulas on Amazon, too (I think Carlson makes one).

I highly recommend the single drop version.   We tried the other kind and my daughter hated it.  She would spit part of it out and they I think it was causing her to spit up.  We switched to the single drop version, and she doesn't even realize we're giving it to her.  Just a drop on the nipple right before latching or on a pacifier and your done.  It's made things so much easier.  We'll give her the other kind again when she's older and we can mix it in with juice or something.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"