August 2011 Moms

Finicky Eaters?

So lately L has been very picky with his food. :-( Our boy used to be a great eater but now is just eating things like Kix, Goldfish, Cheese and some other things. Is this a faze? I was so happy he ate spaghetti for dinner last night!

If your LO is doing the same thing what do you offer them to eat?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Finicky Eaters?

• We're at a really fun stage with these guys...  Are you ready for this?!?!

DIPS!!

Kids love foods that dip!!  It's like the closest thing to playing with food!!

Give it a try.  

Since it seems like L is totally covered in the grain department, I'd try offering other things.  Certainly move toward proteins and fruits and vegetables.  

Have you tried ants on a log yet?  O loves it!!  

Try thinly sliced veggies with hummus or salad dressings.  

Apple slices with a mound of peanut butter for dipping.

There's apple butter and almond butter and hummus and ranch and ketchup and mustard and...  you get the point!!  

Try not to stress, and try to have fun with his foods!! :) 

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Love this! Thanks JK :-) L did show a fancy to ranch. Off to the store.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Um, yes. Max used to eat EVERYTHING. Then, for a long time it was like you described. Lately it seems that we are back to adding to the repertoire rather than subtracting, which is a nice change. 

I continue to offer a healthy meal at each meal time, but his favourites are still cereal, yoghourt (he will drink the drinkable kind too), corn on the cob, crackers, cheese, grapes cut up, blueberries cut up. Still at ZERO meat. Will occasionally eat scrambled eggs. He likes when I make whole wheat pizza with pesto on it. In general I have more luck with sweet things. I made muffins and grated zucchini and carrot into the batter and he was none the wiser.

He also LOVES to help, he likes to make his own toast (I give him the bread and he drops it in the toaster, and says HOT! HOT! about a hundred times, then goes and gets the butter out of the fridge, and then will eat it).

It is a phase. Don't let it faze you. ; ) 

BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Thanks homediva :) I think I will start checking some more recipes with hidden ingredients. I hope my great eater comes back soon.
  • The top two are currently pushing through :-(
  • I also just want to add that it is an independence thing for Max! Lately he has an opinion about everything! And it is usually NO.
    BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • We go through picky spells, too.  It comes and goes.  We went through a month where DD wouldn't eat any vegetables, so I resorted to hiding them.  But I still kept offering them on the side, and one day she just picked up her peas and carrots and started eating them again. 

J&K had great ideas about dips!  In addition to what she suggested, we also use applesauce and vanilla yogurt for dips/spreads.  When all DD wants to eat is pancakes, I feel good that she's at least getting a little fruit and calcium if I mix them together and use it as a spread or a dip. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"