December 2010 Moms

sudden sleep troubles

DS suddenly has been taking short naps (30-45 min) and skipping naps, even multiple days in a row.

This wouldn't be THAT bad if it weren't for the fact that on top of that, he sometimes goes to sleep late and wakes up early (e.g. 8:30-5:30). Last night was the kicker. Something is up. He woke up at around 1:30 and didn't really fall back asleep until 4 or so. I got about 2 hours of sleep. DH was similarly screwed though he went to bed earlier so it wasn't as bad. 

Any thoughts or recommendations? We haven't had troubles like this in a very long time. Is CIO appropriate anymore? We did that at 5 months and it worked great but I have no idea at this age. I also have no idea of what is causing it. DS is not sick. His molars are maybe coming in but that's all I can think of and he isn't really showing other signs of pain. He's just saying things like, "no sleep," "no nap," "no blanket," etc. He doesn't appear to need anything in particular when we check on him. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: sudden sleep troubles

• OMG Griff is totally like this and it just started happening within the last few weeks.  We did CIO at 5 months and it worked fine.  Then in the last few weeks he would wake up in the motn crying.  I'm sure it was teething.

Then a few times I gave him advil before bed and the motn wakings stopped.  Hes also sleeping late and waking early, as in close to midnight til 8am, when normally it would be 9pm-10ish am.  And on Mon and Tues he refused to nap at all.  I've also noticed hes become extremely clingy to me, only me.  He is a mamas boy but its been so intense the past few days.  I think its still teething cause once in a while he'll still point to the back of his mouth.  I hope this ends soon.  For you too.  GL!

• I think some of it is just the age. They are learning how to test the boundaries and see if they can get their way more.

The few times he has fought naps we just leave him in his room for at least an hour for quiet time. And there have been times where he fights bedtime saying, "play, play" over and over again abs tries to get toys out rather than getting a book. So we just tell him that its bedtime and no playing. Then turn off the light and leave the room. He rarely cries about it and usually within 15 mins he's asleep.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • J has been having sleep troubles too. He won't go to sleep and wants me to stand in the room until he does fall asleep. He is also waking earlier. Today was 5:45, he used to sleep until almost 8 on weekends. I have no suggestions, just want to commiserate.

• Here too! See my post down on the page "I'm at my wit's end."

He is slowly getting back to normal, so I have no idea what went on. My theories are teeth or ear infection, but since he never got a fever or seemed to touch his ears, I'm going with the teeth.

photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"