Baby Names

Mila...

Just wanted to give a heads up that, apparently, people don't know how to prounce this.

After going round and round for names - we named our daughter Mila about a day after she was born.

I have to say I'm absolutely in love with her name.  However, suddenly everyone is asking how its pronounced and/or assuming its MY-la.

All this thought I put into a name - why it hadn't dawned on me that people would think it was MY-la, I'm not sure.  But I haven't come by one person (meeting her for the first time) who pronounced it right.

Just figured I'd share...

FuzziBunz at Nurtured Family Bravado Bras at NurturedFamily.com Maya Wrap Baby Slings at Nurtured Family

Re: Mila...

• i have always said this name as mee-la. i have never heard it pronounced my-la but i know that the name Lila is often lie-la so maybe that's the confusion, since they are spelled similarly. at any rate, mila is a pretty name! 
    trying for #1 since May 2012... we're adopting! bringing home baby boy in january 2015!

photo tacos.gif
    Texas forever. 
  • I'm still going to use that name.  I LOVE IT.  My mom's name is Louise, so we are going with Mila Louise. . .if it's a girl of course :)
  • Loading the player...
  • My first thought is MEEla, but I can see why someone would pronounce it MYla.

No big deal...I correct folks on the pronunciation of my name all the time, and mine is obvious!
    imageimage
  • I only know it is pronounced Me-La because of Mila Kunis. I love the name Myla though and trying to get DH on board. 
  • Seriously, today the people at a bagel shop misspelled "Ann" when I used my middle name for my order (because they really can't handle "Cheryl") and not because they added an "e" at the end.  They seriously spelled it "An."  So.....I really wouldn't worry.  There will always be someone who can't say or pronounce a name.

And FWIW, I have always said "Mee-la" for this name.

• I've always said MY la....
    FORMERLY NADCHAEL.

VOTE on my Name List
  • I haven't really heard this name but I read it as Mill uh Or as Myla.. Sorry!
  • This is my dd's name, too and I've only heard it mispronounced at her pediatrician's office... I think that it is becoming more common, though especially since Mila kunis is more well known... Hopefully the confusion lessens for you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"