May 2013 Moms

Changing OBs 16 weeks in - anyone else?

My old OB practice stopped delivering babies last year, so I picked a new one. I didn't really get the "warm and fuzzies" from them and didn't feel like they were going to provide me with what I needed/wanted - I recently decided to try for a natural birth this time, and they couldn't even tell me their c-section rate or answer any of those types of questions. I just made an appointment for my 18th week with a new practice known for being supportive, and I'm going to cancel my 16 week appointment for next Tuesday.

I just feel icky about it, like I'm somehow doing something wrong. I know that's completely illogical.

Charlie 8.06.08
Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56

Re: Changing OBs 16 weeks in - anyone else?

• I'll be changing mine after my next appt (so I'll be just over 18 weeks). I don't get the warm and fuzzies with mine either - and you definitely want to make sure you feel comfortable with them as they will be delivering your baby!  Good luck!
  • You are doing nothing wrong!  I've read of ladies over on the natural birth board switching as late as 38 weeks to a practice more natural birth friendly.  I think that it's great you have the foresight to switch now and have time to get comfy and make sure this new practice is what you want!
  • Loading the player...
  • I did this with my last pregnancy around 14 weeks. Like you said, I didn't really connect with the doctor.  I had heard that she was kind of a b*tch from several people, as well, and typically really pissed off the nursing staff at the hospital and no one wanted to work with her. I didn't really dig those vibes so I switched based on someone's rec.

After I called to request my charts be transferred I got this long, angry, rambling VM from the first doctor saying how wrong I was to leave her practice, that I'd regret not having her deliver my baby, that she "had never even heard of" my new doctor, blah blah blah.....yeah, crazy train! That, combined with the fact that I LOVE my new practice, made me so glad I switched.

Don't feel bad about it...you have to do what makes you comfortable!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Don't feel bad. I think it's great that you are switching to someplace that, hopefully, treats you better and makes you more comfortable.

You and your baby definitely deserve at least that. Don't sweat it.

• I've heard from a MW that she took a transfer while the woman was in labor. Until that child is born, you're not too late to transfer.

Do what's best for you and your baby.

VOTE on my Name List
    Check out my Team Green baby names! P.S. I'm not serious with any of the names
    BabyFruit Ticker
    My BFP Chart
    BFP 9/7/12, EDD 5/15/13
    MW interview said 5/17/13 and changed back to 5/15/13 after first visit
  • I may switch at some point because I am getting the feeling that my Drs aren't as supportive of my VBAC as they claim to be.  I am in Cinci too and I am curious which group you are seeing.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • imagejesselayne8:
    I may switch at some point because I am getting the feeling that my Drs aren't as supportive of my VBAC as they claim to be.  I am in Cinci too and I am curious which group you are seeing.

YGPM!

Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • Thanks for posting!  I'm *strongly* considering switching, too.  The doctors have been fine so far, but some of the staff seems like they don't know what they're doing, and I always have a LONG wait.

I've also tried to get more information about c-section rates, use of episiotomies, etc., and get vague answers... 

The problem is that I can't switch until I figure out where I want to switch to (and I really don't want to switch a second time).  I'm touring a stand-alone birth center in a couple weeks.  If I don't go with that, then I'm switching to a midwife practice that delivers in the hospital.

Good luck with your new providers! 

• We're moving to a new state so I'll be switching at 19 weeks. I've done as much research as I can for having never been to the area or not knowing anyone there so hopefully I selected a doctor I will like!
  • imagejerseygirl81:

imagejesselayne8:
    I may switch at some point because I am getting the feeling that my Drs aren't as supportive of my VBAC as they claim to be.  I am in Cinci too and I am curious which group you are seeing.

YGPM!

Thanks! YGPM :) 

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • I'm switching because at my 8 week appointment they said we would have no upfront costs because of our insurance plan and then at our 12 week appointment they said we would owe them $3K at our 16 week. And no explanation really as to why the drastic difference.

Also, terribly long wait times - I'm always there for at least 2 hours with only maybe 15 minutes top with an u/s tech or midwife and they are always rushed when I do see them and seem bothered when I try to ask questions. Just hoping to make the transition smoothly! 

EDD - July 11, 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"