3rd Trimester

Nasal Flu Shot

My 2.5 year old DS got his shot this morning but they offered him the nasal spray. My nieces got the nasal spray a month ago or so and my SIL said they were told to stay away from pregnant woman. When I asked they said they would check and all of the nurses and a DR said it was fine for him to get the nasal version. We ended up just getting him the shot but I am curious did others get told they could not be around people who have the nasal version or was it just the place my SIL took her kids too!!  

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Nasal Flu Shot

• I have no experience with it, but I wouldn't want to be around someone who just had the flu mist.  It's a live virus and it can shed.  That's probably why they warned your SIL about being around pregnant women who have a compromised immune system.
    imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Have you all ready had your flu shot? DD got the mist at our peds office and no one mentioned that she should get the shot instead.
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • My 2 boys had their flu mist while I was pregnant and I was never told that so must just be that dr.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • both of my kids got the flu mist last night and the dr had me leave the room while it was being done. she also told me just to not get too close or cuddle or kiss them for a couple hours. she said after a couple hours it should be totally fine .
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyName Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DD got it this fall. It's fine.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • PS They just asked that she stay away from anyone SEVERELY immune-compromised, like anyone going through cancer treatments or something.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageAmieV3:
    My 2 boys had their flu mist while I was pregnant and I was never told that so must just be that dr.

Same here and pedi knew I was pregnant. 

• Both my kids got the mist last week.  The Dr. had no problem with it.  They have had it in the past with no problem.  She didn't say anything about possible risk to pregnant women. 
  • When I was pregnant with DD the military started doing flu mist instead of shot and he was told to stay away from me for 48hours since it's a live virus. DD and DS both got shots instead of the mist this year because the pedi knew I was pregnant. Not sure anything is proven that it's unsafe, more just precaution I think.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The difference between the flu shot and mist is that the mist is a live virus where as the shot is the "dead" one. In my experience they have always told me that if you shouldn't get the flu mist if you are around someone who is pregnant or newborns due to it being contagious. 
     imageimageimageimage  
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"