How long does your LO stay awake at a time? — The Bump
Babies: 3 - 6 Months

How long does your LO stay awake at a time?

How long does your 5/6 month old stay awake at a time?  My guy has been on the same nap schedule for a couple months now, usually gets tired after 2 hours of being awake.  Now he starting to not want to nap..  he still gives the symbols of being sleepy and wanting to nap but then I put him in his crib and he is wide awake, refuses to nap and just wants to play.  He has always been a cat napper too (only naps around 30 min at a time usually)
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How long does your LO stay awake at a time?

• My LO is 5 months and he's the same way, so once I notice he's tired I put him down for a nap. It sometimes is a struggle cuz he fights it but I know he needs to nap or ill have a grumpy baby lol. He's up about 2 hrs then a nap like clock work everyday pretty much.
  • Mine fights it too, its like he's angry at himself for being tired lol.  I'm not sure if maybe I should wait a little longer to put him down, maybe 2.5 hours.
  • image mnb311:
    Mine fights it too, its like he's angry at himself for being tired lol.  I'm not sure if maybe I should wait a little longer to put him down, maybe 2.5 hours.

Maybe he needs less awake time? I'd do no more than 90 minutes at 5.5 months.

At just about 4 months, DD2 is up 75-80 minutes.

Second Guideline for Awake time for babies
    0-4 weeks: 30-45 minutes
    4-6 weeks: 40-60 minutes
    6-8 weeks: 40-70 minutes
    8-12 weeks: 50-80 minutes
    3-4 months: 60-90 minutes
    4-5 months: 1 hr to 1.5 hrs
    5-6 months: 1.5 hours
    6-9 months: 2 hours, give or take 15 minutes 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    image image
    image image
  • He is not tired after 90 minutes though so I don't know. After 90 minutes of awake time he still laughing and happily playing with tons of energy.  WHen I put him in the crib like this he just continues playing and rolling around because he's not tired yet.   Thanks for the info though!
  • image mnb311:
    He is not tired after 90 minutes though so I don't know. After 90 minutes of awake time he still laughing and happily playing with tons of energy.  WHen I put him in the crib like this he just continues playing and rolling around because he's not tired yet.   Thanks for the info though!

Totally up to you but if I waited till my kids showed sleepy signs, like yawning, I was always too late and missed their ideal nap window and they were harder to get down. For me, the key is to put them down BEFORE they get tired.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    image image
    image image
  • thank you!  I'm thinking he needs less frequent naps as well
  • My daughter is 5.5 months and does not have a consistent nap schedule - some days she naps frequently, every 2 - 3 hours, some days she may only have one or two naps total.  Sometimes they are little cat naps and other times she may sleep for 60 - 90 minutes.  I don't worry about it too much.  She STTN most nights, for about 9 or 10 hours, depending, and seems to know when she needs the rest during the day and takes it.  Her sitter/daycare person reports she does the same thing during the week, with her.

Sometimes I try to put her down in her crib when I know she is super tired and she just plays and rolls around and then I move her into the swing or bouncy chair and she conks out.  You could check with the pedi at your 6 month appt, but I'm sure it's fine.

• image juliane2004:

image mnb311:
    Mine fights it too, its like he's angry at himself for being tired lol.  I'm not sure if maybe I should wait a little longer to put him down, maybe 2.5 hours.

Maybe he needs less awake time? I'd do no more than 90 minutes at 5.5 months.

At just about 4 months, DD2 is up 75-80 minutes.

Second Guideline for Awake time for babies
    0-4 weeks: 30-45 minutes
    4-6 weeks: 40-60 minutes
    6-8 weeks: 40-70 minutes
    8-12 weeks: 50-80 minutes
    3-4 months: 60-90 minutes
    4-5 months: 1 hr to 1.5 hrs
    5-6 months: 1.5 hours
    6-9 months: 2 hours, give or take 15 minutes 

Where is this guidline from?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board