July 2012 Moms

Not preventing

So I'm curious...when people say they're "not preventing", what does that mean? Specifically, are your DH/SOs withdrawing or not? Cause if they're NOT withdrawing then I'd think it's only a matter of time bf you get pregnant, probably sooner than later.

Also, the ladies on this board who already have a BFP, did you already have your periods?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Not preventing

• I use "not preventing" to mean no form of birth control being used, even withdrawal. And yes, I only stopped preventing when I was ready to get pregnant with this LO. Personally I just use it because saying I was TTC seemed a bit over the top when we weren't really trying to pinpoint ovulation or any of that. It seemed unfair to say I was "trying" when I know how hard lots of other couples really try.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No period not withdrawing and no prevention. We do not necessarily want another now but obviously we are prepared just in case because the chances are high due to our lack of prevention. Babies are blessings so if we get pregnant we will be happy. I just hope it doesn't happen until next year
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagePandril19:
    I use "not preventing" to mean no form of birth control being used, even withdrawal. And yes, I only stopped preventing when I was ready to get pregnant with this LO. Personally I just use it because saying I was TTC seemed a bit over the top when we weren't really trying to pinpoint ovulation or any of that. It seemed unfair to say I was "trying" when I know how hard lots of other couples really try.

Agree with pp.  Its the what ever happens, happens approach.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We aren't preventing. My period returned 36 days ago, but I'm still exclusively breastfeeding so my cycles are apparently messed up. Not preventing means that we are letting whatever happens happen. We want more children, and we are okay whenever they come. For me, trying to conceive means using opks, timing sex, etc. We'll start ttc if I'm still not pregnant come next summer...at least that's the plan for now.

ETA: I have a sister with PCOS who is going off birth control with hopes of getting pregnant, so she has to ttc immediatly and already has plans with her doctor for help in 6 months if needed. That is probably why there is a clear distinction between not preventing and ttc in my mind.

Mommy to N (3), J (2), and C (10 months). LO4 is due in mid-September.
  • imagePandril19:
    I use "not preventing" to mean no form of birth control being used, even withdrawal. And yes, I only stopped preventing when I was ready to get pregnant with this LO. Personally I just use it because saying I was TTC seemed a bit over the top when we weren't really trying to pinpoint ovulation or any of that. It seemed unfair to say I was "trying" when I know how hard lots of other couples really try.

This exactly.  I am not TTC but I am not taking any form of BC because I worry that it will effect my milk supply.  AF has not returned so I figure the chance that I will get pregnant is pretty small. If we do conceive, it is really NBD since we want another LO soon.

• I would say we weren't preventing after my son was born. It had taken over 3 years and eventually IVF to get pregnant with him so we decided not to prevent. We thought it was a slim possibility of getting pregnant, but we were okay with it if it happened. For us, I wouldn't have said we were TTC unless we were seeing our RE or at least charting.

However, I do think a person with no history of infertility is pretty much TTC if they aren't preventing. Now that we have gotten pregnant twice without assistance, I think not preventing would equal TTC.
    It took 3 1/2 long years, but we finally got our little miracle!
    IVF #1 - BFP (6dt)
    Unassisted Pregnancy #2 - lost at 15w6d due to T21, severe heart defects, and fetal hydrops

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • To me it means you want to and are hoping to get pregnant.  It also means if you act surprised I will slap you.  If you don't want to get pregnant use birth control, if you do then don't.  I hate this sorry.  I am not directing this at you OP,but this drives me crazy.  I truly believe there are no "accidents" or "surprises" unless your birth control completely fails.  But when people have sex without protection and say they are surprised they got pregnant I think they need to go back to 6th grade health class.  Sorry, rant over. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageBethAndBen:
    No birth control here. Not preventing in any way. I would love to have another LO ASAP but assume it won't happen. We did years of TTC and infertility treatments to get this babe. If a miracle were to happen I would be thrilled but it would absolutely have to be a miracle! We don't plan to TRY or go back to the RE for a year and a half.

This is exciting, good luck!  I really hope you get a little miracle sent your way! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Wow I can't believe people are pregnant already! But them again I have twins and can't imagine more than I have to handle now!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"