Cloth Diapering

rumparooz, bg 4.0, and flip question

What is your experience?

It looks as though the ruparooz would be a better because of the double gusset and it's a slimmer in the legs but I also read they are bulkier than the bg and don't last as long into PT...

Also, it looks like the Flip system would work best for after they start solids. I think I saw a video that you aren't supposed to fold prefolds is the newspaper fold until after the ebf poop stage. Can you use these diapers in the 0-6 month stage? My MIL has made it clear that she will not change the cloth diapers and she is our main baby sitter when we need one, which isn't often. But I thought this might be an okay option if we used the disposable inserts.

"Always remember there was nothing worth sharing like the love that let us share our name"

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: rumparooz, bg 4.0, and flip question

• I have no experience with Flips, but from what I understand if you use them with the disposable inserts you may end up making more work for your MIL than you would if you give her pre-stuffed pockets.  I find them (the pocket diapers) to be just as easy to change as a traditional disposable.  Maybe show her how the different types work and see what she thinks?  If the concern is how to handle the poop, on the rare times I have a sitter I leave a separate empty wet bag for poopy diapers and deal with the clean up when I get home.

As far as BG vs. RaR, they are 2 of my favorite brands.  They are both on the bulky side compared to say, Tots Bots or FB, but they have worked very well for my son.  They each have their pros and cons.

I would avoid BG products with aplix, but other than that I really like both their 4.0 and Freetime (haven't tried the Elementals). Not all babies do well with the suedecloth interior of BG diapers but we haven't had that problem.  About a 3rd of my stash is BG 4.0.  I only have 1 RaR that I received as a free gift but I like it so much I just ordered more during their Black Friday sale.  The RaR pockets certainly cost more than BG 4.0 or Freetime, but they are very soft, have the double gusset, and (even though I haven't used it since my son was past the NB stage when I got my RaR) the RaR newborn insert seems better than the BG.

I hope this helps. 

ETA:  My son is almost one, so we're not to the PT stage yet but he's on the skinny side with kind of kind of chunky legs and is still on the first rise setting for BG 4.0, and is on the second rise setting for RaR and Freetime.  The only type I think he may outgrow before he is potty trained is the BG Freetime. 

OHM born 12/16/11, BAM born 1/10/14, mmc 06/30/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Love BG 4.0.

Hate RaR. We have a large rotation and the elastic in them was 100% shot, way too fast. I would never buy them again. None of our other diapers had this problem

I like the flip covers but haven't used them with their inserts as we prefer pockets..on the occasion that I did use a PF (just trifolded and placed in the cover, with EBF poop) or a fitted the Flip cover was my go-to.

• Loading the player...
  • Sorry to hear your MIL is being annoying about diapering. Maybe you can try the guilt-tripping route by explaining that you don't want your LO sitting in nasty chemicals for the two years of his life...? Or once LO is born, just tell her that you don't want LO's bum getting all rashy in sposies. Most people come around. It's just frustrating to hear someone thinks they are qualified to take care of a baby but can't figure out a simple diaper than goes on with velcro. 

As for your question, the rise on my Rumparoos is definitely lower. My 16lb 5 month old is on the highest rise and the double gusset is pretty useless. All it does is leave an extra red mark on LO's bum. That being said, it's a good, effective diaper.

Found out the hard way my LO has a MS sensitivity so I never really put our BG or Flip stay-dry insert to the test. I just use prefolds either snappi'd or trifolded in my Flips cover. You can fold however you want at any stage, as long as your prefolds are the right size. I've heard the organic Flips insert is too bulky to snappi and should be trifolded. My plain cotton prefolds work well, so I've never tried those inserts either. I've yet to use the disposable inserts, but I suspect they would be more work in the long run because you need a wetbag for covers and a garbage container for the disposable inserts. I did like the fit of BGs, though. 

Good luck! 

• I have bumgenius 4.0 and flips. I really like them both. I don't feel that they need the double gusset[I have other diapers with this feature]. I've never had either diaper leak. I haven't used the disposable inserts with the flips. I agree with another poster that the flip system might seem like more work to your MIL. Prestuffed pockets are just like disposables, they just go in a bag instead of the trash.

I've never used rumparooz. My sister uses them and has leak issues with her LO.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't know anything about RAR, but I have 4.0's and Flips. I LOVE my 4.0's, though, and actually think they would be easier for reluctant caregivers. We started cding at 4 months old and I loved my Flips then. They worked really well, even with EBF poop. The disposable inserts were crap. They wrinkled up really easily, usually making a huge mess, and generally just weren't as absorbent and didn't work as well as the stay dry inserts. I would not recommend them for your MIL, my reluctant dh hated them. When dd started crawling, the Flips were bunching up horribly and not staying in place at all. So I bought some 4.0's. They are so easy! I would suggest getting the aplix for your MIL and showing her they're just as easy as disposables. Pre-stuff them for her, and show her all she has to do is take the dirty diaper off, put it in the wet bag, put a new one one. No different from sposies. 
    Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS is 5.5 months old and probably 15 lbs right now, and I like the way my RaR fit him better than my BG's. (He's long and kind of thin, so I don't know if that makes a difference.) I also have Flips, but they are not my "go to" CD's. I've never tried the disposable inserts b/c I have heard bad reviews of them. I agree with PP's that pockets would probably be the easiest route for your MIL. FWIW, I have had good luck with Charlie Banana. I bought a bunch of them on Target.com with gift cards that I received at showers. I'm not sure if they will fit all the way to PT b/c they don't have an adjustable rise, but with the adjustable elastic and lots of snap options, they will certainly last us a while.

If you do decide to CD, be sure to get at least 2 wetbags to rotate out each day. I also have a folding drying rack from Target so I don't wear my dipes out in the dryer.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"