Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

I'm an ungrateful brat!

So, I haven't said anything to them...these are just my own private thoughts but I am super disappointed because my aunts got together and bought DS a play kitchen for XMAS. That was THE gift that DH and I were planning and I had an awesome wooden one picked out since we don't have a playroom and I would like it to blend a bit. They bought a red plastic one that will not look good in my house and is really not what I want. I know I should be grateful but it was the one gift I planned to buy for my son.

Pity party over.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: I'm an ungrateful brat!

• You should have told them "oh, I already purchased one, too!" But I agree with PP. Return it and get the one you want. I wouldn't, however, give him the one you want for Christmas-- see this as an opportunity to get him something else awesome and fun.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

• This happened to us.  We planned to buy DS a balance bike for his second birthday.  My mom, unable to pass up a great Groupon deal, already bought him one.  We still may get him the one we wanted for his birthday and keep it the other one at the grandparents' house.  But I was bummed out a little.

In your case, I'd either return it and say you already bought him one for Christmas, or have the red one live a a relative's house if you have family nearby. Or, put the red plastic one outside? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I would feel the same way.  It stinks too because it's a big thing, so it's not like you could have a reason to have 2 of them.  I like big things like that to blend in too, and having a big ol' honkin' red plastic kitchen in my living room would really grate on me after a while.  Maybe you can lie and tell them it came broken so you had to return and for some reason they didn't have that cheesy red one anymore so you had to pick out a new one?  Maybe it could work?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • very understandabe! Our kitchen is our Santa gift and I totally wanted to choose and buy it. I did inform my Mom and MIL prior though. How were you to know they would pool together though :(
  • We bought a kitchen that we felt comfortable keeping out in the open (in our dining room area).  In your case, I'd return it.  It may seem ungrateful, but when you have to look at the red plastic monstrosity day in and day out it is not fun.  We got the Kidcraft Vintage White kitchen and it is SO adorable and really blends with our home. 
    Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• imagekatie4253:
    We bought a kitchen that we felt comfortable keeping out in the open (in our dining room area).  In your case, I'd return it.  It may seem ungrateful, but when you have to look at the red plastic monstrosity day in and day out it is not fun.  We got the Kidcraft Vintage White kitchen and it is SO adorable and really blends with our home. 

That's the one we got. That way it goes with everything and is gender neutral in case our next is a boy.

• :/ I'm sorry.  I think I would be upset if someone bought the gift we planned on getting our DS too...especially if it wasnt' the one I wanted.  So I guess I have the potential to be an ungrateful brat too
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • Ooh, maybe say you bought the one you wanted, and suggest that they can get accessories for it.

We got Thomas wooden railway for LO with the table and when my mom and dad asked what to get LO I said they could get more trains and cars, or expansion packs for the train.  They are so excited to pick that out for him now.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • I am living this with my MIL.  She picks up all this stuff from yard sales and keeps them at her house.  I got my son a really nice set of wooden blocks and she found a similar, smaller set at a sale and brought it out so my son could play with it weeks ago.  She also got him a kazoo.  Sounds like a dorky gift, I know, but JJ loves it (or would have if I got the chance to give it to him).  I was so excited to see his face at Christmas.  The only bright side is she keeps these gifts at her house.  In another instance, my daughters birthday was recently and I got her her first baby doll.  What did my MIL get her?  A BABY DOLL!!!!  I am furious.  My husband doesn't understand what the big deal is but I work really hard on these gifts.  I told him the kids aren't allowed to go over to their house until after Christmas.  It's the only way his gifts will be a surprise.  

I'm trying to figure out how she's doing it.  It's like she's out to get me.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageEstwd2:
    Oh, bummer. My family usually asks before making big purchases and THIS is why. Is it open and put together yet? Maybe there was an accident in the packaging and there's parts missing. Maybe you had to try and exchange it, but found out it was out of stock and the company no longer makes them. Maybe they were recalled because they were setting kids on fire. All of this crappy stuff totally happened, but it's okay because you were able to exchange it for this lovely wooden one. Just sayin'. It's possible.  :)

LOL. Good answer. I would be bummed too. My mom got her a kiitchen but let me pick it out.  Got the kidcraft vintage white also. Excited to see it.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagecyprissa:

So, I haven't said anything to them...these are just my own private thoughts but I am super disappointed because my aunts got together and bought DS a play kitchen for XMAS. That was THE gift that DH and I were planning and I had an awesome wooden one picked out since we don't have a playroom and I would like it to blend a bit. They bought a red plastic one that will not look good in my house and is really not what I want. I know I should be grateful but it was the one gift I planned to buy for my son.

Pity party over.

Oh, yeah..that's suck because you really can't say or do anything. We live in a small house, too and when we get DD a play kitchen it will have to be a wooden one and not the plastic one since it will be in our living room. There's a super cute wooden one a K-Mart that I'll probably get next year since 16 months old is a little too young, I think. I did love my big plastic one as a kid that was kept in our kitchen, but our kitchen was huge! If you have a big enough kitchen you should just keep it there b/c it seems it's not much of an eye-sore there. However, since we can barely fit a table in the kitchen in my house, it will be in the living room (we have a very open floor plan anyway). 

• imagesuncherie:
    imagecyprissa:

Pity party over.

Oh, yeah..that's suck because you really can't say or do anything. We live in a small house, too and when we get DD a play kitchen it will have to be a wooden one and not the plastic one since it will be in our living room. There's a super cute wooden one a K-Mart that I'll probably get next year since 16 months old is a little too young, I think. I did love my big plastic one as a kid that was kept in our kitchen, but our kitchen was huge! If you have a big enough kitchen you should just keep it there b/c it seems it's not much of an eye-sore there. However, since we can barely fit a table in the kitchen in my house, it will be in the living room (we have a very open floor plan anyway). 

I liked the other posters comments about returning it...but you can really only get away with this if your aunts aren't the nosy types (asking too many questions and really pressing the issue). OR if they don't come over to your house, just say thank you and never mention it after you return it. If along down the road it comes up, just say that one didn't work out for whatever reason (I wouldn't say a recall, however....that's a bit much and they could find out it you're lying) and you switched it for a different one of the same price and your kid loves her play kitchen :) Assuming your aunts are reasonable people, you shouldn't have to make up a bunch of lies for exchanging it for a different one. You could just say the wooden one works out better for you guys' house. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"