High-Risk Pregnancy

Let's talk low numbers (GD)

So, this is my 2nd go around with GD. And I have been doing this diet for this pregnancy for 10-ish weeks now. I know my body, I know what is good and not. I know what I'm doing so to speak. I take Glyburide at night for my fasting number. I do okay with that, b/t 85-95 every morning, sometimes not amazing, but nothing to complain about. This morning, nothing unusual & my number was 67. That's low for me. Jotted it down and moved on.

I had an NST this morning (passed with flying colors!) but I'm very bad on NST mornings because I want to get the baby moving... I eat pop tarts & drink a diet Dr. Pepper on the way. I know it's wrong, but I do it anyway and compensate through out the rest of the day the best I can. The number is always high, obviously, 2 hours later... normally in the 135-140 range.

This morning? 86. I did it twice. 90 the next time.

When should I start worrying about the numbers being too low, I mean, come on all the sudden my body can properly handle poptarts in the AM? I think not.

Thoughts? I'm going to eat my normal lunch (a smart one, yogurt and small apple) I know my number is normally 106-110 at the 2 hour mark, so we will see how I do after that. But if it's insanely low should I start worrying?

I fax my numbers in monday, I'm thinking I will jot a little note down...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Let's talk low numbers (GD)

• How often are you having NSTs? Are you getting BPPs? I think as long as those tests are still coming back fine, it's worth watching your numbers and diet but not worth panicking. Mention it to the doctor, make sure they are aware of the numbers, what you're eating before those numbers, when you're testing, and see what they have to say.

I remember around 34ish weeks with DD2 (after 23 weeks on the diet) I suddenly had some morning lows - in the 70's after breakfast - which was very unusual for me. I was on insulin, so we experimented with stopping it before breakfast and my numbers shot back up high, so we just putzed with the dose for a few days before things finally went back to normal. Baby looked good, passing NSTs and BPPs with flying colors, it was just some weird fluke.

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • 2x a week for the NSTs. Been doing them 3 weeks now, no issues at all! I figured if they were going well I really SHOULDN'T have to worry, but how quickly would they pick up a problem? I don't know - in 2 pregnancies & NSTs for both I never had an issue (so far) and I had pre-e with my first.

I only have one BPP done, it was last Monday. They don't do them unless something is "off" on the NST. Mine was done because it was thanksgiving week & I was only going in once.

Thanks for your thought! I figured I should give it a couple of days, this gives me the weekend at least before I fax the numbers to the MFM on Monday. See if I have a pattern of lows or if today will be just be a fluke.

Always like to find out if there is any experience out there!

• Loading the player...
  • imagePrivacyWanted:

Especially toward the end we can have random off days.  I'd call if you see similar numbers tomorrow (assuming you have an afterhours call line).

But just in case, have you tested with the control solution to be sure the meter is reading normally?

I didn't - I will tonight. Forgot about that!

• Yes, for some women their numbers get easier to control towards the end.  Keep an eye out for too low because that is a problem too.  You might want to ask about injectable going forward so you can tweak it more.  Getting to low is one of the reasons a lot of docs don't do oral for pregnancy.  Hormone levels change so much making your insulin resistance change.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• The glyburide is only 2.5 for fasting only, so there isn't anything to control otherwise for me. I have no desire to go on insuline for only fasting. It would hover right at 100 so I went on it. 

I am curious to see my fasting number tomorrow see if I need to worry!

• Between 60 and 90 mg/dl is good for a fasting number. I would not worry about being 86 or 90 2 hours post-meal. A lot of factors can influence your blood glucose levels, such as activity, hormones, hydration, stress, etc. If you are below 60 mg/dl, then I would talk to your doctor about changing things up a bit. This is pretty unlikely, however, since you are not on insulin (which leads to more hypoglycemic episodes) and your insulin resistance will only increase in the weeks ahead.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"