August 2013 Moms
Options

Pelvic Exams in Early Pregnancy?

Hi Ladies.  I have a question for those that have had previous pregnancies.  Does your doctor or midwife do a pelvic exam during early pregnancy?

Mine does and they claim it's to confirm the pregnancy (ute should be enlarged, cervix slightly blue) and since they're in there anyway for a pap (to make sure you don't have STDs which can harm the baby).  For confirming the pregnancy...I can just POAS or do a blood draw.  As for the pap, I just had one 5 months ago and DH and I are faithful...is that really necessary!?

I know I have an friable cervix (ie: I bleed pretty much anytime they do an internal exam).  With last pregnancy I spotted for a few days after the pelvic exam/pap and then had some TVUS to date the pregnancy which also led to spotting.  Before that everything was fine and I can't help but to wonder if all these invasive internal exams and prodding could have been a factor in my m/c. Maybe I should refuse them when I go to the doctor's office next week?

What's your experience?  Last time around I just let the OB do whatever was "standard procedure" for them because I figure they're the experts and would know best but perhaps "standard" isn't really and adding unnecessary risk...
BFP #1 7/1/12 | EDD 3/12/13 | mm/c 7/31/12 | D&E 8/3/12
BFP #2 11/28/12 | EDD 8/10/13
Our Baby at 11w6d | 55mm (2.2") | 162bpm
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Pelvic Exams in Early Pregnancy?

• Options
    With my first, I had a pap but only because I was due. I'm certain I will have another at my appointment on the 11th because I'm due again. From what I gathered from Google, a pelvic exam in early pregnancy is considered normal to check for any abnormalities that may pose a problem for the pregnancy. It's definitely not fun but sounds totally normal. However, if you aren't comfortable with having one, I would tell your OB and see what he/she says. I'm sure the two of you can come up with a plan of action you're both comfortable with.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Like any medical procedure, you can refuse it.

Last pregnancy I had a pap scheduled for the day I tested positive. I let them know I didn't want any internal exams until about two months in. She was surprised (and thought it was because I didn't understand anatomy rather than being super cautious) but she went along with me. This time, I won't be seeing anyone until 8 weeks so it isn't an issue.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

There is nothing you can do to shake a good pregnancy and nothing you can do to stop a miscarriage at this point. I would assume you could skip the Pap, but I would have a conversation with your OB about the rest of the exam.

I'm sorry for your loss and I hope this is a sticky baby for you. 

TTC #1 since 10/2012.
    BFP#1 11/28/12, MC, BFP #2 CP
    BFP #3 10/21/2013, EDD 7/3/2014
    Beta #1 (4W6D): 1768 Beta #2 (5W1D): 5255
    1st US at 6W4D HB of 112 BPM!

1/20/2014: IT'S A GIRL!

6/30/2014: Happy birthday baby M!

• Options

My first pregnancy they were going to do one until we realized I had one maybe 8 months prior so we skipped it.  Maybe your OB will do the same.  GL!

ETA:  Never mind, I obvously didn't read your post correctly.  Sorry I am not any help!

Both conceived using 7.5 mg Femara+Ovidrel+IUI

• Options
    I had a pelvic exam at my first appointment. I was 5 weeks along. She confirmed that my uterus was expanding.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"