August 2013 Moms
Options

Advice on how to tell a friend

Hey all,

I know we're all still in the VERY early weeks here, but my bff and I have both been TTC since August.  Last week, (the Sunday before Thanksgiving) she called and said that she had a BFP on Saturday.  We were both really excited.  At this point I didn't know I was expecting too, but I was still very happy and excited for her.  Unfortunately on Wednesday (the day before Thanksgiving) she got her period- looks like a CP.  Anyway I got our BFP on Sunday and I haven't said anything to her yet.  She is really the only person other than DH that I would be telling at this point and while I'm comfortable NOT telling her, I also don't want her to be hurt that I waited.  But I also don't want her to be hurt if I DO tell her since she is so soon off of the CP.  Suggestions?  We will see her and her hubs at NYE and around that time is when we're telling the rest of our family and the rest of my closest friends.  Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Advice on how to tell a friend

• Options
    I would just tell her honestly. NYE is a long time off still, and she could get her BFP next month. Also, it's not like you'll be able to hide that you're pregnant for that long. If she's you're BFF, she'll be happy for you. Even if she is a little sad for herself.
  • Options

It's definitely sweet of you to think of your BFF's feelings right now.  And she will be upset for herself, no matter how happy she is for you.  If you feel like telling her early, you might think about doing it over email/text so she has time to process the information before she has to be excited for you, just in case it's not her first feeling.  Then she can call when she's ready.  I wouldn't wait til NYE, because it sounds like you guys are close enough that under normal circumstances, you would have told her early on.

Congrats on your BFP!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    If t were me I would tell her.  If you wait and she finds out from other people because they already know it might hurt her that you didn't tell her.  Eventually she will find out and it's best it comes from her best friend.
  • Options

imagemia1116:
    I would just tell her honestly. NYE is a long time off still, and she could get her BFP next month. Also, it's not like you'll be able to hide that you're pregnant for that long. If she's you're BFF, she'll be happy for you. Even if she is a little sad for herself.

I agree with this.

• Options
    Thanks guys! I appreciate the advice- I was really planning on waiting until we saw her at NY, but I think you all are right- that might end up hurting her more, that I waited.  Plus it will put her on the spot, which can be difficult.  I'll probably tell her over the phone this weekend.  Good advice!
  • Options
    I think I might send her a text or an e-mail. I know it's suuuuper impersonal, but if she's still hurting from the CP this would allow her to process it alone and contact you when she's ready.

TTC #1 since 10/2012.
    BFP#1 11/28/12, MC, BFP #2 CP
    BFP #3 10/21/2013, EDD 7/3/2014
    Beta #1 (4W6D): 1768 Beta #2 (5W1D): 5255
    1st US at 6W4D HB of 112 BPM!

1/20/2014: IT'S A GIRL!

6/30/2014: Happy birthday baby M!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"