3rd Trimester

Watching A Baby Story...

...with a FTM asking for an epidural and the nurses and her husband trying to talk her out of it and delay it. Then while she's pushing and the baby's heart rate is dropping the MW is telling her "Do something for your baby" as if she wasn't trying to push her own baby out?!

Watching this episode just pissed me off for her. If my nurses or husband started working against me while I'm in labor, not listening to me and trying to talk me out of my decision when it won't hurt the baby....I think I might have to kick all of them out and/or commit bodily harm...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Watching A Baby Story...

• Ive seen that one! It pissed me right off. I would of punched every one of them in the face haha.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I hated watching all the ones when the nurse or Dr would say you need to try harder, or something along those lines. But I guess when I look back, some women are not properly trained on how to effectivly push the baby out. But the least they could do would be to explain to her how she should be pushing instead of saying crap. I used to watch those shows everyday, until I got pregnant, than I would stop until about week 30 and start up again.... Guess it is almost time. LOL

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I would have flipped out on all of them! With DD I had too much epi while trying to push, so it was very long, but DH and the nurses/doctor were super supportive. My goal was to not swear during labor, lol, and I was successful... but had I been in that woman's situation it would have been a different story. Luckily DH knows better.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I would have lost it. "Do something for your baby"... Really?

I had a nurse tell me to "be quiet and concentrate on pushing" when I was giving birth to DS and he was just beginning to crown. Uh, hey bish, why don't we trade places, and YOU push this huge baby out of a little hole, and show me how to do it quietly. I wanted to punch her.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• I'm so stubborn if they start treating me like that I'd be like - "Okay I'm just going to stop now. How do you like that? No, don't like that, then stop talking to me like I'm stupid."
  • You only saw snippets of that birth.  Out of the potentially 24+ hours she could have been in labor, that show probably showed you maybe ten minutes. 

If she wanted a natural birth and had asked her DH and MW to support her in her decision, than the MW and DH were respecting her wishes when she asked for the epi.  Nearly every woman, even if she is planning a med-free birth, will be asking for pain meds at some point.  It is the job of her support team to try to tell her she can do it without it.  If the woman continues to ask for it, then most people will back off and let her do what she wants.

I've asked for meds with every one of my births.  In fact, during my last homebirth I was in transition and told my MWs I wanted a c/section and to call the ambulance.  But my MWs were smart and knew that I was close.  They and DH calmed me down and talked me through the next few contractions.  DD was delivered shortly after.

I hate that TV show.

• imageMollusksWrangler:
    Some nurses lack bed side manner. Mine told me to stop making noises while pushing, I wasn't even screaming just grunting. I told her she needed to stop making noises too.

Hahaha good for you. That just made my day. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think it was DH choice for her to have a natural birth because his mom or sisters had natural births... if I remember the episode correctly.  In that case, if I decided I wanted the epi and they tried to delay it - I would seriously be throwing the place up for grabs. 

As for the staff, I felt bad for the staff in both my previous pregnancies, DS1 was induced and it was a long difficult labor and I was not the most pleasant person, DS2 was so fast they wouldn't give me anything and I cursed them out before and after because it was so much pain going natural.  For this last time I am going to try to be more cooperative, I know they should realize to deal with pregnant women since its their job, but its not easy dealing with so many different women, all the emotion, hormones, etc.  I give lots of credit to L&D nurses, I could never do their job!

• imageMollusksWrangler:
    Some nurses lack bed side manner. Mine told me to stop making noises while pushing, I wasn't even screaming just grunting. I told her she needed to stop making noises too.

My husband was trying to remind me to push with my stomach muscles, because my face was getting red. The nurse looked at him and told him he should try to push a watermelon out of his ass, since she didn't know any other way to push.

We were not fans of this nurse, but they sent the awesome one home... 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Agreed. I've stopped watching that when I got pregnant because I think it's all such B.S. I'm into all natural, relaxing births and I feel like TLC makes this show very dramatic and even frightful for FTMs to watch. The background music, the beeping of the monitor, the moaning of the mom all just seems very stressful to me. I plan to have mine in a tub, lights low, relaxing music playing, not hooked up to anything, etc. I'd like to see TLC start showing some more of those births..
    Pregnancy Ticker Owner & Creator of www.GreatestKidsGames.com
  • I used to love watching this show because I like to see the different birth plans and birth stories in general. I for one do not plan on doing all natural if the pain gets too great. I don't have a high pain tolerance and I know this. I think all natural is awesome, just not for me. I just don't want someone either 1) ignoring my wishes during labor unless there is a medical reason or 2) talking to me as if I am stupid/lacking good bedside manner.

The last thing I need to deal with during labor is someone else's attitude when I can barely deal with my own.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image+adamwife+:

You only saw snippets of that birth.  Out of the potentially 24+ hours she could have been in labor, that show probably showed you maybe ten minutes. 

If she wanted a natural birth and had asked her DH and MW to support her in her decision, than the MW and DH were respecting her wishes when she asked for the epi.  Nearly every woman, even if she is planning a med-free birth, will be asking for pain meds at some point.  It is the job of her support team to try to tell her she can do it without it.  If the woman continues to ask for it, then most people will back off and let her do what she wants.

I've asked for meds with every one of my births.  In fact, during my last homebirth I was in transition and told my MWs I wanted a c/section and to call the ambulance.  But my MWs were smart and knew that I was close.  They and DH calmed me down and talked me through the next few contractions.  DD was delivered shortly after.

I hate that TV show.

I agree completely. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point I ask for meds but I trust that my husband or midwife will help me to achieve the goal I am set out for. Who knows if she asked her husband or midwife to ignore her request for meds. 

• That's exactly why you have to make sure you are comfortable with your doctors and have mutual communication/expectations before labor and delivery!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"