Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Enfamil Gentlelease not helping for gas

Hi all! I find this website so helpful. I put my LO on enfamil gentlelease at 2 or 3 weeks old because she was fussy since the day we came home from the hospital. The formula helped a lot when we first switched her on but after about 2 weeks she is back to the same old. I know she is gassy because she will pass a toot and cry either before or after it comes out. We are using Dr. Brown's bottles also. Dr listened to her belly and said she has over active bowels and pretty much we just have to wait it out. I've tried gripe water, drops and just got the colic calm gripe water. Of course we try all of the exercises first before giving her anything. I just don't understand why she is still so gassy after being on formula that is supposed to help with gas and bottles.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Enfamil Gentlelease not helping for gas

• imageAnjvatier:
    Hi all! I find this website so helpful. I put my LO on enfamil gentlelease at 2 or 3 weeks old because she was fussy since the day we came home from the hospital. The formula helped a lot when we first switched her on but after about 2 weeks she is back to the same old. I know she is gassy because she will pass a toot and cry either before or after it comes out. We are using Dr. Brown's bottles also. Dr listened to her belly and said she has over active bottles and pretty much we just have to wait it out. I've tried gripe water, drops and just got the colic calm gripe water. Of course we try all of the exercises first before giving her anything. I just don't understand why she is still so gassy after being on formula that is supposed to help with gas and bottles.

At least your doctor listened to you! Every time I bring it up with mine she blows it off. I guess it's normal but my son is so distressed all day especially at night trying to pass gas. It seems really painful for him. They told me to go on Similac Sensitive... which he has been since 3 weeks old and I have not seen any type of improvement at all. Some days/nights it's painful to listen to. I wish I could help him! The gas drops do nothing for him. I have also done tummy rubs, bicycling legs, etc. Nothing works. I guess we have to wait it out! If anyone suggests a great formula let me know because I would love to see him not be in pain anymore 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Our LO is EBF but had all kinds of gas issues and so much crying. He too had the "hyperactive" stomach. I have been giving him probiotics and we have seen a difference. He still has gas attacks sometimes, but it isn't as frequent or as terribly painful as before. We bought baby probiotics at Whole Foods. It is a powder and you can mix it into formula. 

• Loading the player...
  • Same thing happened to my LO, my pedi gave me two samples of the enfamil Gentlease. It worked for awhile but back to the same thing. Until I switched him to similac sensitive. And oh my!!! He is a much happier baby. He has gas now then but not like when he was on the other formula. If similac sensitive orange top doesn't help then try gerber soothe.
  • The gas gets better as they get older, I promise. I was freaked out too by my DS's horrible gas buy since he hit three months he got much better. He is also on Similac Sensitive RTF... No air bubbles! 
    chasechristmas

Chase Matthew born at 35 weeks on July 31st

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• OK.  Not that I am a professional, but here are the things that worked MIRACLES for my LO.

Dr. Browns (which you are using)

Gerber Soothe Formula

Prescription Liquid Zantac

Holding baby upright after eating for 30 minutes

All of this SAVED US!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are having the same issues.  I haven't switched to the Dr. Browns bottles yet as i have tons of Avent and can't afford to switch and I am considering going to Gerber Soothe.  The Zantac works and it is definately necessary to keep the baby upright after eating.  It eliminates a lot of spit up.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
  • My lo has a sensitivity to the milk protein and he is on similar augemetion and I think it is helping.
  • imagechristinasullie37:

We are having the same issues.  I haven't switched to the Dr. Browns bottles yet as i have tons of Avent and can't afford to switch and I am considering going to Gerber Soothe.  The Zantac works and it is definately necessary to keep the baby upright after eating.  It eliminates a lot of spit up.

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Browns-Pack-Polypropylene-Bottle/dp/B0018JWAF0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1354318113&sr=8-3&keywords=dr.+browns

That is exactly what I purchased.  I only got 3 to see how we would like them and we have just continued to rotate them & have found with the 2 playtex ventairs that we already had we have enough.  

I had also started out with Avent and had 8 bottles, and pump.  They now sit on top of the microwave unused.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have the same problem, we use Gerber protect (the proteins are broken down more in this formula making it easier for the to digest) we also are on medicine for reflux and to help his gas pain we use Little Tummys gas drops, we give them to him before he eats and it seems to really help him! Hes not as fussy afterwards.
  • We tried enfamil newborn and gentlease and had the same problems. Dr. gave us nutramigen by enfamil and all baby's pain went away. It's expensive but worth it and your dr should give you samples of it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"