Babies: 6 - 9 Months

What type of finger foods do you give your baby?

I give her puffs and she just squishes them and doesnt even bother putting them in her mouth. Shes 8 months now and i want ideas on what type of finger foods i can start giving her for practice. Any suggestions? 

Re: What type of finger foods do you give your baby?

• I'm wondering too, LO is 8 months too. Thanks for asking and I'm curious to see the suggestions. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • We give puffs, mum mums, yogurt melts soft cooked chunks of pears, apples, sweet potatoes, carrots, broccoli, peas, banana... Pretty much anything soft and bite sized. He gagged a lot at first but not so much now. We even give him whole bananas and whole cooked and peeled carrots. If he takes a bite that is too big he gags and spits it out. He has two bottom teeth but they don't need teeth to chew. My niece us 18 months and JUST got her first tooth last month and has been eating table food just fine since 9 mos or so.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • She eats what we eat most of the time.  I cook everything from scratch, without any salt or artificial ingredients.  For example, this week we had:  turkey pot pie (this is great bc everything is super soft), whole wheat pasta with a little butter, carrots and broccoli (I cut the pasta up so it was bite sized), chicken and roasted brussel sprouts (cooked a whole chicken in the crock pot all day so it is very moist and tender... shredded it for LO), and turkey and rice soup with tomatoes, carrots, celery, etc.  All these meals are very baby friendly because everything is soft and bite sized.  Other ideas are toast with puree spread on top (cut into bite sized pieces or sticks but be careful of salt in bread), most any fruit or vegetable cut up (if it's hard roast or steam first), oatmeal mixed with a fruit puree and ground beef/turkey.

Good luck!  

• We do rice, tiny pasta, banana and pear chunks dusted with oatmeal cereal, broccoli florets, Cheerios, homemade bread pieces, shredded cheddar cheese, its really fun!! She will barely take purees now because she likes feeding herself so much.
  • We do whatever we eat. She's had pizza, spaghetti, gnocchi, fajitas, quesadillas, steamed veggies, tomatoes, salad, steak, chicken, sweet potatoes with cayenne and chipotle seasoning, chili, meatballs. On Thanksgiving, she had turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn souffle, curried cauliflower, pork roast and some pumpkin pie. She LOVES solids and we let her eat whatever we do. Cut into small pieces of course. Even stuff that's tough or may be hard for her to eat, we cut into tiny, tiny, tiny pieces and feed it too her.

To start, canned carrots (they make them without salt or anything) were great. We'd cut them into little pieces and dust them in oatmeal cereal. They're SO soft -- sometimes I'd accidentally smoosh them just cutting them with a spoon.

GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    CafeMom Tickers
  • We also do whatever we are eating. This week she had couscous (mixed with hummus so she could grab it), meatballs, shredded chicken, pasta with sausage and peppers. I just cook everything until it is really soft and cut it up in pieces if we need to. She can get almost anything in her mouth now. I gave her puffs for several weeks first to practice on, now she is putting food in her mouth and chewing like a pro!
    Due 3.27.14 (lame because I cannot figure out how to save a fun ticker.....)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"