Trouble TTC

IVF Options? (New Here)

Hello! I'm new to this board, I've been lurking the Trying to Get Pregnant board for a year now. My DH (31) and I (29) have been TTC for 15 months now and we met with our RE again yesterday to discuss options.  Neither of our insurance plans covers fertility treatments, only diagnosing and treating any underlying infertility issues. So of course money/costs are a main factor in what we do next.

My question is related to IVF packages.  My RE mentioned the Attain Refund IVF package. It seems like a good deal unless you get pregnant the very first time (I guess I wouldn't complain if that happened!).  My husband looks at the success rates and feels like we'd be better off doing it round by round.  I guess he's thinking that, let's say they retrieve and fertilize 4 good eggs, and even if we don't get pregnant the first time, we only have to pay the implantation fee and we could use one of the other eggs that were left?

I'm so confused.  I've tried reading about all of this online and I feel like everything I read is trying to sell me something. I guess I should also mention that we've had all the tests (progesterone, HSG, ultrasounds, blood work, 2 SAs) and the only issue they found was my husband's first SA showed a low count and A LOT of amorphous heads).

Any advice/wisom would be greatly appreciated!

Me-31/DH-32, TTC since Aug 2011, HSG/Blood work all normal 3 SAs - results all over the place. DX Unexplained 
3 failed IUIs, IVF #1: 12R/6M/6F, transferred 1 5d blast, no frosties, bfn.   IVF #2:  12R/6M/5F, transferred 1 5dt, 2 frosties, bfn.    Yale EFT test done, mild inflamation - maybe endometrisis?   FET #1: transferred 2 6d blasts, BFP!!!  Beta #1: 606 e2:303, P: 47   Beta #2: 1,817    Beta #3: 8,625

Re: IVF Options? (New Here)

• If your H's second SA had good results why not try IUI first. What kind of numbers are we talking about on his SA's? Because that really should be the first factor if you do IUI vs IVF first off.

TTC since July 2009. Dx MFI & LPD. 
    IUI#1&2&3 (2011 & 2012) BFN
    IUI#4 1/23/13 on 75iu x9 Follistim = BFP then chem preg m/c (Feb 2013)
    IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
    BFP! Beta 1:104 @ 10dp6dt, Beta 2:178 @ 12dp6dt,  beta 3:366 @ 14dp6dt
    Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
    JUNE 2014 IVF#2;  5R, 2M, 1F Three day transfer 6/7.  Beta 6/18 - BFN
    Child Free Now?
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

• Edited bc I totally missed a paragraph of your post.

I would try 3 rounds of medicated IUI first, then move to IVF w/a multi-cycle guarantee (assuming you can afford it).

I think your example is a little skewed, too, so I'm going to try to explain it a little better. Again, these are all guesses.

Let's say (assuming best case scenario) that you are "just" unexplained/ideopathic IF - no MFI (even though his SA showed some MFI), no tubal issues, no inherent reason why you cannot seem to conceive on your own. You would have about a 15% chance of success in any given cycle with a medicated IUI. That's only slightly less than what a "normal" couple's rate of conception would be, and a full IUI cycle runs around $1200-$2000. The standard is to be to try three rounds of something and if it doesn't work, move on. If nothing is "wrong" with you, you'd be perfectly eligible to try IUI for 3 rounds, and it does work quite well for many people. You'd probably be out only $6k assuming you got KU on your third IUI.

Your other option would be to move straight to IVF if you so desired, because it does have statistically much better odds (around 45-55% barring severe diangoses). But of course it's usually around $8-$12k, not including medications (mine were $5200 for one cycle) and cryopreservation of embryos ($800 at my clinic).

Also - something that you need to factor into your decision are that you might not even get to freezing stage and then you quite literally would be putting all your eggs in one basket. Usually (again, your mileage may vary and all that), if for example the goal is to get 10 eggs, you are hoping for a 65-70% fertilization rate give or take, so you're looking at 6-7 fertilized. Some of those will probably arrest (stop developing) prior to either day 3 or day 5 (it's called transfer, not implantation, by the way), and generally speaking you'll get probably half of those 6-7 who make it to transfer day. Then usually the two of best quality are transferred back into your ute. The remaining few might or might not be of high enough quality to survive the freeze/thaw, or they might be perfectly fine - but there are no guarantees. Shady Grove (I'll link below) estimates that about 40% of couples wind up with something to freeze, but it's definitely not so simple as fertilize four, use one, have three for the next try.

If that cycle wound up being a BFN and you were lucky enough to have a couple frosties to attempt a FET with,  you will still have the medications and monitoring expenses to pay for OOP. Here's some more information:

https://www.shadygrovefertility.com/newsletter/thawing-mysteries-fet

Please ask all the questions you think of. 

Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow I know it wasn't for me but thanks so much Debate this

With DH last numbers for IUI. IVF has been on my mind and that gave me so much information. Thank you! 

ITS A GIRL!!! TTC 8/11 November Clomid 150mg+trigger+IUI+TI= BFP<br>
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' 
    Eleanor Roosevelt 
    image image 
  • imageRuger04:
    Wow I know it wasn't for me but thanks so much Debate thisnbsp;With DH last numbers for IUI. IVF has been on my mind and that gave me so much information. Thank you!nbsp;
    You are quite welcome. For what it's worth, DH and I are mostly unexplained. He has mild mfi and I probably have mild endo no lap to confirm, but I have all the symptoms. Our first IUI with Clomid and trigger shot was successful miscarriage due to congenital defect at 8w and then our three subsequent IUI's have all failed. Even with four tries, all of that was cheaper than one shot at ivf. Now, since we've had three unsuccessful rounds of IUI in a row, we will move to ivf. IMO, there wasn't a true reason to try it previously when it is so costly and time consuming.
    Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • imageDebateThis:
    imageRuger04:
    Wow I know it wasn't for me but thanks so much Debate thisnbsp;With DH last numbers for IUI. IVF has been on my mind and that gave me so much information. Thank you!nbsp;
    You are quite welcome. For what it's worth, DH and I are mostly unexplained. He has mild mfi and I probably have mild endo no lap to confirm, but I have all the symptoms. Our first IUI with Clomid and trigger shot was successful miscarriage due to congenital defect at 8w and then our three subsequent IUI's have all failed. Even with four tries, all of that was cheaper than one shot at ivf. Now, since we've had three unsuccessful rounds of IUI in a row, we will move to ivf. IMO, there wasn't a true reason to try it previously when it is so costly and time consuming.

We were told we too were unexplained, however our first IUI DH count after wash was only 4mil I was so upset didn't have the nerve to ask any of the other numbers. I just figured if it fails then we will meet with the RE and see what the new game plan is.  Good Luck when will you start a new round of IVF?

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' 
    Eleanor Roosevelt 
    image image 
  • imageRuger04:

imageDebateThis:
    imageRuger04:

We were told we too were unexplained, however our first IUI DH count after wash was only 4mil I was so upset didn't have the nerve to ask any of the other numbers. I just figured if it fails then we will meet with the RE and see what the new game plan is.  Good Luck when will you start a new round of IVF?

We just fired our RE (long story) after my cycle was cancelled at baseline and they treated us like crap. I have a new patient appointment on 12/26 with a new clinic, so I'm guessing January/February to start cycling again.

• imageDebateThis:
    imageRuger04:

imageDebateThis:
    imageRuger04:

Well I hope time flies by for you. I hate the waiting game with IF seems like everything takes for ever. Hope your new RE treats you better. GL  

We just fired our RE (long story) after my cycle was cancelled at baseline and they treated us like crap. I have a new patient appointment on 12/26 with a new clinic, so I'm guessing January/February to start cycling again.

Eleanor Roosevelt 
    image image 
  • We signed up for the Attain IVF package.  We liked how there was a "guarantee" felt that the RE would also have some "skin the game."  I know that it's not necessarily true, but it made me feel ok and we had the money (financial contribution from parents + end of the year bonus).  I figure, I'd rather be pissed that I "lost" the money by getting pregnant on the first round than pissed that I was NOT pregnant AND had to pay more.  Who knows.

That being said, I think you should think about doing some IUIs first.  If anything, they prepare you for the realities of IVF (at least I hope they do!)  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you everyone for your input, helps a lot! 

The main reason we were leaning towards IVF instead of IUI was because after my DH's first SA, our RE said that that was our best bet. His first SA showed a count of 4 (which was the RE's main concern), morphology of 1%, motility was slightly less than average and the other factors were average or slightly below average.  So the RE felt like an IUI wouldn't be effective.

So of course we started thinking IVF.  But he had a second SA and his count increased to 49 (I'm told was good/average), morphology was 4% (though the tech noted a considerable amount of "amorphous heads") and everything else was average.

So we were sort of back to square one with no explanation as to why we wouldn't get pregnant.  At this point we're leaning towards IUI unless my DH's 3rd SA (which will be done in 6 weeks) comes back like the first one.

The worst part is that money has to be a factor, though, once we get pregnant I'm sure it'll seem like a small price to pay!

Me-31/DH-32, TTC since Aug 2011, HSG/Blood work all normal 3 SAs - results all over the place. DX Unexplained 
    3 failed IUIs, IVF #1: 12R/6M/6F, transferred 1 5d blast, no frosties, bfn.   IVF #2:  12R/6M/5F, transferred 1 5dt, 2 frosties, bfn.    Yale EFT test done, mild inflamation - maybe endometrisis?   FET #1: transferred 2 6d blasts, BFP!!!  Beta #1: 606 e2:303, P: 47   Beta #2: 1,817    Beta #3: 8,625

• imageClynn82au:

Thank you everyone for your input, helps a lot! 

The main reason we were leaning towards IVF instead of IUI was because after my DH's first SA, our RE said that that was our best bet. His first SA showed a count of 4 (which was the RE's main concern), morphology of 1%, motility was slightly less than average and the other factors were average or slightly below average.  So the RE felt like an IUI wouldn't be effective.

So of course we started thinking IVF.  But he had a second SA and his count increased to 49 (I'm told was good/average), morphology was 4% (though the tech noted a considerable amount of "amorphous heads") and everything else was average.

So we were sort of back to square one with no explanation as to why we wouldn't get pregnant.  At this point we're leaning towards IUI unless my DH's 3rd SA (which will be done in 6 weeks) comes back like the first one.

The worst part is that money has to be a factor, though, once we get pregnant I'm sure it'll seem like a small price to pay!

Honestly, this makes me give your RE the stinkeye. Of course IVF is your best bet. It's everybody's best bet, statistically speaking, but that doesn't mean IUI isn't worth a shot. I am assuming you mean a count of 4 million and 49 million (not 4 total and 49 total sperm). The first SA is probably too low for IUI because after the wash there wouldn't be enough to make it worthwhile. The second SA tells me that the first was probably a fluke, but fingers crossed for the third so you have a clearer path. Also, check with your RE - but many men have successfully increased sperm count/quality/motility etc by taking an OTC CoQ10 supplement. It's definitely something to look into ASAP, bc it can take a few months to show improvement, but if a $15/month supplement is the make it or break it point for IUI vs IVF, I would take the supplement.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"