December 2010 Moms
Options

long and ventish about regression and PTing

ugh....its a battle of wills over here and A is going to win, because that's what the potty training books say. grr!

So A has been using his potty or our toilet for pee and poop since last spring. We wouldn't push it, he just is our shadow and whenever I went to the toilet he came along. I'm pretty sure he gets the whole process....pee and poop go in the toilet, paper for wiping, flush and wave/say Bye! and wash hands. We would have some days/weeks where we would only use the occasional diaper, and others where he wasn't as interested. He'd sign or say sometimes as he was going, shortly after he went and a handful of times before he had gone, we had the occasional dry naps and even a few dry overnights. We didn't want to push PTing this past summer since J was coming along and I didn't want to have him be PT'd only to regress back to diapers with the addition of baby brother.  Well lo and behold J joined the family and A didn't bat an eye and we didn't have the regression we expected. If anything A was embracing being the big boy and still using the potty sporatically as DH and I were trying to figure out juggling two.

A has regressed considerably after I was in the hospital for a few days last month (he couldn't come visit and we only did facetime while I was admitted) and recovery left us home 24/7 (no daycare) and I couldn't pick him up because of his weight but I had to pick up the baby, so he's full on regressed....wants to go back to sippys, screams no if we even mention going to the potty to him, full on tantrums whenever he hears the word no or things dont go his way. Thankfully he has not shown any aggression to J and we haven't had the night or nap sleep issues that others on the board have.  I know time will make things better for him as we establish a new normal. I'm about to go back to work in a couple weeks and he and J both have to go to daycare (his first experience).

Anyways...needless to say PTing has taken a back seat for the time being. I hope he gets interested at daycare, but he is so strong willed he can hold his bladder for 4-5ish hours without batting an eye, but he pees so much he floods his diapers both disposable and cloth sometimes.  He still has a love for books, so if anybody knows of any good PTing books for boys, I'd love rec's.  and hopefully it will take away his anger at the potty and see it's an okay transition. The iphone apps were a big fail only because when its time to put them away, its meltdown time.  

Thanks if you got through this.....I'd give you some holiday sweetness, but I never could figure out how to post gifs.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: long and ventish about regression and PTing

• Options

Well, if it's any consolation, P just moved up to the 2-3 room & she is VERY interested in the potty!  The older kids have to be PT'd to move to the next room, so ALL the kids are offered the potty.  The herd mentality really does work.  (So do M&Ms)

She had been resisting a little too, but last night she even asked to get out of the tub to pee on the potty.  It was awesome.  GL to you with A!

• Options
    We are pretty far behind you guys with PTing, but far enough to say if I skip any time with working with C, he seems to regress.  It just happens and you shouldn't beat yourself up over it.  C goes to DC and they work with him a lot there.  Definitely be sure to communicate with the teachers how far along A is so they know to really work with him on it.  In C's class, they definitely focus on the kids that are more interested/practicing at home in hopes that those will get PT'd first and the can concentrate more on the others later.  They still give the others a chance on the potty, just not as much emphasis.  And I bought "Time to Pee" by Mo Williams (he wrote the Pigeon books).  It's more of a basic process book so while it's cute, A has that one down.  I saw some great reviews from parents with kids that had more PT experience like A that really liked a book called Pirate Potty.  It wasn't for us (just not that far yet!) but might be great for you guys.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I can imagine how frustrating it must be to have gotten so far to only now be back where you started. I bet he'll get back into the swing of it at DC.

If it's any consolation, we are way behind with PTing in comparison. DS still doesn't understand to tell me he has to go before he goes. (and he still uses sippy cups, too!) Maybe I will buy some PTing books for DS for Christmas :/

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    imagebosha711:

I can imagine how frustrating it must be to have gotten so far to only now be back where you started. I bet he'll get back into the swing of it at DC.

If it's any consolation, we are way behind with PTing in comparison. DS still doesn't understand to tell me he has to go before he goes. (and he still uses sippy cups, too!) Maybe I will buy some PTing books for DS for Christmas :/

Same here!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMugPhoto & Video Sharing by SmugMug

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"