December 2010 Moms
Options

:::halo:::

What is the name of the going to the doctor book that helped J? A loses his sh!t at the doctor and I am already dreading the 2 year appointment.
photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg

Re: :::halo:::

• Options

It is The Berenstain Bears Go To The Doctor  I am positive that it is what made the change for Jack.  Any time we even mentioned the doctor around Jack he would start yelling NO NO NO! :(  And, as I'm sure you know with A, the appoinments were a nightmare.

The book shows the kids being worried about going, and afraid of shots.  They go to the Dr. and there are lots of different ages of kids there.  We talk about how Jack goes to the Dr. and that all kids go and it is a normal thing to do.  Then they get called in to see the pedi and it shows all the different instruments the pedi uses.  So we talk about how Jack's pedi uses the same ones, and talk about the bear Dr. and how nice she is, and Jack's pedi is the same way.  We just go on and on each page talking about the similarities and how everyone is nice and everything is ok.  lol

The day we saw the pedi I told him what we were going to do, and it was going to be just like how things happened in the book.  I told him that it was ok to be scared, but that he could just tell mommy, and squeeze mommy really hard instead of scream and cry. 

He was definitely worried and clung to me the whole time, but it was a massive improvement.  Even during the appointment I kept making comparisons to his book to help him be more comfortable. 

I hope that it will help A and that you can have a better appointment next time.  We have our 2 year appointment coming up, too and I'm hoping it goes just as good!

I used to be a big deal.  Now I'm just old. 
  • Options
    Thanks! I'm off to order it now...
    photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"