Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Breath-holding?

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Re: Breath-holding?

• i have heard of this...don't really have any advice. my lo did this too (when he was younger, about 3-4 months but he's since grown out of it--i hope) when he was upset and crying very hard.  we actually went to the er b/c it happened so many times in the span of about half an hour.  the dr just looked at dh and i like we were crazy and said repeatedly,"babies will hold their breaths...babies will hold their breaths."  he was not the most sympathetic dr. though he told me that the lo of a good friend of his did that and they would turn the lo upside down and pat his back.  sorry for rambling.  anyway i guess babies will grow out of it, that's what my ds' pedi and the er dr. said.
  • my son did this when he was 4 months old- scared us to death!  Doctor said this does happen, and they will wake themselves up-- they told us that if this happens again, to blow in thier face, it usually snaps them out of being upset (told us that was usually the trigger for these).  I was worried about an increased risk of SIDS, but several doctors said there isn't a known correlation (I still worry though). 

My son hasn't had any more spells, but the blowing in the face does work- if he gets worked up, we do that and he does stop crying for a few seconds, long enought to catch his breath.

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"