Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Skin to Skin Birth

Hi ladies!

I'm only 11 weeks pregnant, but am doing tons of research on preferences for the birth of my first child. My question to you is, did you do a skin to skin birth? If so, was it a good experience? Would you recommend it? If you did do skin to skin & it didn't work for you, how so? I'm interested in hearing opinions & mostly experiences to help my husband & I make the best decision for our baby Smile Thank you!!!

Re: Skin to Skin Birth

• Do you mean was the baby placed directly on my chest after birth?  If so, then yes, that's what we chose to do.  It was awesome.  At that point after labor and pushing all you want is to have your little baby to hold.  I held him right away skin to skin on my chest and the nurses cleaned him up while he was there.  I was able to start BFing within about 20 minutes after birth.  It was a great part of the experience. 
    Photobucket
    "For this child I prayed; and the LORD has given me my petition which I asked of him:"
    -1 Samuel 1:27 Lilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • imagejLeigh0709:
    Do you mean was the baby placed directly on my chest after birth?  If so, then yes, that's what we chose to do.  It was awesome.  At that point after labor and pushing all you want is to have your little baby to hold.  I held him right away skin to skin on my chest and the nurses cleaned him up while he was there.  I was able to start BFing within about 20 minutes after birth.  It was a great part of the experience. 
    This. I did this with all three of my babies. And for the record, I have never heard of anyone having a "bad experience" with this. Maybe some women don't do it, but those who DO do it never regret it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Our hospital does it for everyone.  When the baby was born, they immediately placed him on me and then they took him and got him cleaned up and weighed and stuff.  Then they brought him back and he laid with just a diaper on my bare chest.  It was awesome.  It's really good for the baby developmentally as well.  I don't really see any reason why someone wouldn't do it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageLaura_Elaine:
    imagejLeigh0709:
    Do you mean was the baby placed directly on my chest after birth?  If so, then yes, that's what we chose to do.  It was awesome.  At that point after labor and pushing all you want is to have your little baby to hold.  I held him right away skin to skin on my chest and the nurses cleaned him up while he was there.  I was able to start BFing within about 20 minutes after birth.  It was a great part of the experience. 
    This. I did this with all three of my babies. And for the record, I have never heard of anyone having a "bad experience" with this. Maybe some women don't do it, but those who DO do it never regret it.

I agree with all of the above.  Nothing better or more special/magical than looking down at your LO's eyes after the marathon of labor.  We actually continued to do several hours of skin-to-skin for a good 2 weeks after birth, and stilll use it every once in a while to calm him down during a colic freak out period.  He really likes getting into a warm bath with mom or dad and cuddling on our chest.

image imageimageimage

• Sorry, I should have been more specific about a "bad experience". My husband & I have one family member that seems to want control over everything that is going on in our pregnancy & am afraid that our family members are going to be disappointed about not being able to hold onto the baby. We talked to a nurse at the hospital during a tour and they recommend that family members do not hold the baby at all until we're comfortable. She said that there have been some "issues" with this & am afraid it will cause hurt feelings.
  • Just don't invite family into LD; have the nurses run interference and keep them out until you are good and ready to share LO. Your baby's well being is so much more important than some family member's ego.
  • imagejLeigh0709:

This. They put her right on my chest. They wiped her and used the aspirator while I held her, and she pretty much nursed right away. After she was finished eating the nurse took her for a couple minutes to weigh her and check her over a little better. My hospital really encourages skin to skin for the reasons you said, but they also said it's the best way to regulate the baby's temperature. After her bath the next morning they had me hold her that way for 45 minutes too.

• imageNeinerBopper13:
    Sorry, I should have been more specific about a "bad experience". My husband & I have one family member that seems to want control over everything that is going on in our pregnancy & am afraid that our family members are going to be disappointed about not being able to hold onto the baby. We talked to a nurse at the hospital during a tour and they recommend that family members do not hold the baby at all until we're comfortable. She said that there have been some "issues" with this & am afraid it will cause hurt feelings.

Our moms and my best friend were at the hospital for the delivery, but not in the room during the birth.  By the time the baby was born and they cleaned him up and we did skin to skin and my H held him, over an hour had gone by.  Then we invited our moms and my BF in and they held the baby.  It's up to you to decide when to allow family in the room to hold him.  You can wait until after you've done the skin to skin and tried breastfeeding if you want to.  It's up to you and your husband.

• Yes, and it is awesome. One of my best moments ever!
  • You know... I actually filled out a pregnancy form in which I requested not to hold my baby till he was clean... I was somehow grossed out by the thought of him coming out and being handed right to me.

Well, apparently someone didn't read the info because he was plopped right down on my chest right after he came out and I will tell you that to this day it is one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had.  I would not have changed it one bit!  

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Unfortunately, after 41 hrs of labor (yes 41 HOURS) I have to have an emergency c-section so I wasn't able to hold my LO when she was born.  It still makes me cry to this day.  Thankfully, my husband did the skin-to-skin right after the delivery (also called Kangaroo care) and they have an unbelievable bond.  :) 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I did it with both my kids. Yes, it a little messy. But so worth it. Nothing will feel more wonderful then the first time you hold your child, especially right after birth. And it lets your baby know that you are there and personally i feel like it makes them feel protected. 
  • Immediately after ds was born he was placed on my abdomen. His cord was cut and he was moved up to my chest for cuddles, where he stayed for an hour. It was bliss. I can't describe how precious those first moments with him were. After all that work, the uninterrupted time with my boy was just what I needed.
    As far as family, dh and I didn't allow anyone at the hospital while I was laboring or for 12 hours after the birth. They didn't even know which hospital we were at until after ds was born.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"