I'm new to this board and will probably be lurking a lot into the upcoming months. I'm so sorry to hear of everyone's losses.
I received news today after blood work that I have had an early loss. I'm pushing 40 so part of me expected to experience this at some point, knowing so many acquaintances who have gone through it. Although I feel sad and frustrated about it, knowing is much better than the limbo I was in all week wondering about the meaning of all the inconsistent pregnancy tests I had taken. I got the bloodwork done at my pcp's office because I had to go for another appointment there today, anyway. I will be trying to get in touch with my midwife tomorrow to discuss these things, but I am also interested in input from those who have gone through this:
1. How can they tell that it was a chemical pregnancy versus an ectopic pregnancy? I'm really afraid of the latter after all the reading I've done. Should I be pushing for any kinds of tests or an ultrasound, particularly if I don't get my period soon?
2. Related to the above, how long should it take to get my period? My hcg today was only 5.6.
3. How long after a chemical pregnancy can I start ttc again? Right away?
Thanks so much.
Re: new and questions
I'm sorry you have to be here, but welcome. This board has been a wonderful source of support for me.
i can tell you what I was told for your questions, but I will say that you should always get the final answer from your provider for your specific case! But I know it was helpful for me to hear others experience.
I haven't had an ectopic, but from what I hear your hcg continues to rise, but it's a slow rise. Also there are other signs, such as pain. If it concerns you I'd definitely discuss that at your appointment. I bet they can put your mind at ease.
i was told the normal AF return was 4-6 weeks after your bleeding started. Some more, a few maybe less. Sometimes your body will treat the CP like a regular cycle so you may see no disruption in your cycles. Other times it can take awhile. I'd say if you haven't had AF in 6ish weeks and are concerned you could put a call in to your provider. My midwife only tracked my hcg to 5 and then said there was no reason to do anymore blood work, as she considers under 5 to be a negative pregnancy test.
As for trying again, we were "advised" to wait 1 cycle, but not "demanded". She said that to rebuild a nice uterine lining and to give ourselves time to reset mentally, a cycle off would be a good idea. Everyone's provider and situation seems to be different.
Hope that helps! I'm sure there are a lot of ladies with different experiences though, and I hope you get some good feedback. I am so sorry for your loss.
Love is multiplied: DS #1: 1.5.99 ~ DS #2: 9.23.11 ~ DD 8.29.13
m/c 11/12/12 - sleep tight baby bean.
Bitty Baby #4, please stick around - we already love you so very much!
Ultrasound 11/4 - TWO HEARTBEATS!!!
**BFP#1 9/5/12 EDD 5/15/13 changed to 5/25/13 after u/s, missed mc 10/19/12. D and C 10/22/12**
BFP 4 10/28/19 EDD 7/6/20
I'm so sorry for your loss.
1. How can they tell that it was a chemical pregnancy versus an ectopic pregnancy? I'm really afraid of the latter after all the reading I've done. Should I be pushing for any kinds of tests or an ultrasound, particularly if I don't get my period soon? They can go by HCG levels and ultrasound (depending on how far along you were). There are other symptoms they'd be on the look out for with ectopic as well.
2. Related to the above, how long should it take to get my period? My hcg today was only 5.6. For me it took a month with my first loss (~5w along). Most women it seems to be 4-6 weeks, beyond a couple months talk to your doctor. Too soon to know how long it will take after this loss.
3. How long after a chemical pregnancy can I start ttc again? Right away? Talk to your doctor on this one, but with both my losses I've been told to wait until AF returns and then we've got the green light.
BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11
BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14
My Recipe Blog
~All AL'ers welcome~