March 2013 Moms

Question: Hospital Grade vs. Electric Breast Pumps

I am a FTM so I was wondering if any STM's (or others that are knowledgeable in this area!) could offer some advice!  I spoke with my insurance company and they cover my breast pump (along with replacement parts) 100% - either hospital grade, electric, or manual.  I was wondering the difference between the hospital grade and electric ones - is the heaviness of the pump and the suction usually the main difference?  I assumed that I would get an electric one (and probably still will) because of the portability.  Thank you for any advice you have!!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Question: Hospital Grade vs. Electric Breast Pumps

• Hospital grade ones are typically completely closed systems so no milk goes inside the pump itself.  From what I've read online, the suction from them is much nicer for you as well.  There are a few of the higher cost electric models that do some of the same settings, but the breastmilk goes inside the gadgetry so you can't really clean it out.  If you can find a hospital grade one that comes in an easy to carry bag, I say get the good one!  That being said, I've heard great things about the high end Medela ones.

You may want to check with your insurance again though, I have to purchase my pump from a medical supply store rather than off the shelf at Target, etc. in order to get it covered.  It would be pretty crappy to buy one somewhere that isn't on the approved list and then it isn't reimbursed!   

• Yeah, definitely do some checking.  My insurance will cover a double electric but not a single or manual (odd I know) and it has to be from a specific medical supply store.  I found an "approved supply store" on my insurance's website, went to talk to them, and was informed there is only 1 place I can get it through and it's not them.  I then called the company that is actually approved and they said "Call after baby is born, we will call your OB for a script for the pump, go through your insurance, then send you the pump."   Yeah, cause post c-section, with a toddler and a newborn, I want to jump through hoops for a breast pump LOL  Glad I'm doing the leg work now!
  • Loading the player...
  • I rented a hospital grade Medela pump and used it at home (it was too big to move around easily).  I also bought a Medela electric pump to use when I returned to work.  The hospital grade pump was much quieter and more effective for pumping.  The electric pump was good and much better for when I was on the go.  I also had a 2 hands-free breast pump bras...it made pumping sooooooo much easier. 
  • I'm surprised your insurance is willing to cover the cost of a hospital grade pump because they are VERY expensive (like over $1000 usually). Are you sure they didnt say they would cover the rental of a hospital grade pump? I don't know anyone who actually owns a hospital grade pump b/c they are so expensive and tend to be pretty big/bulky. I know a lot of people say they have better output with a hospital grade vs. a double electric but I didn't notice any difference between my medela PISA vs when I rented a medela symphony (hospital grade). I definitely wouldn't get a manual if they are willing to cover an electric- if you are going to be pumping often like at work or something than I would recommend a medela PISA- it is compact but has great suction, long life, optional battery pack so you don't need a plug. I used it to exclusively pump for my son for about 6 months and also used it some with my DD and plan on using it again if needed for baby #3. I personally wouldn't want a hospital grade b/c they are much larger and in my experience a little louder. 

As for the whole closed system stuff- there are some double electric pumps that are labeled as a closed system (ameda pumps maybe?) I know the medela pump is NOT labeled a closed system but after pumping as much as I did I never saw ANY milk get anywhere NEAR the pump itself. The tubing isnt coming in contact at all with the milk so not too sure how that would happen. There were a few times that maybe a drop got in the tube you can just rinse the tube out (the same as you would do for any condensation that develops in the tubes) and it never went into the pump itself. As for cross contamination you are supposed to replace the tubing between kids so there wouldn't be that concern either. I personally wouldn't have having a closed system on my list of priorities when choosing a pump but that is just from my experience with 2 kids. HTH!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • The hospital pump is so much quieter, more comfortable, and more efficient. I had a rental for my hospital grade and a purchased higher-end electric pump (with a closed system where the milk did not go through it - actually used the same cups and tubes as the hospital grade) with my last pregnancy because I had to pump around the clock due to preemie/latch issues and was working. I didn't carry the pumps around - had the hospital pump at home and the electric at work. If I had to choose just one, though, and even if portability were an issue, I would pick the hospital grade any day.
    *Siggy warning - loss mentioned*
    Preemie ID DDs; then DS; then natural M/C; now due 10/17
    High risk for pre-term: weekly Makena injections
  • imageskyllingstadl:

I don't know anyone who actually owns a hospital grade pump b/c they are so expensive and tend to be pretty big/bulky.

I actually own a Ameda Elite(?) hospital grade pump because I got it off of ebay for about the same price as a new Medela PIS.  Turns out it was newer and quieter than the Elite I was renting from the hospital!  However, that being said, for the most part, unless you have a special situation (preemie, exclusive pumper, supply issues, multiples, etc), a regular electric pump should be fine.  They are much more portable than hospital grade pumps.  For me it wasn't an issue because work provided a hospital grade Medela so I didn't need to transport a pump to and from work. 

2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

• Thank you so much for all of the information.  I did look back at my notes and it was a rental of a hospital grade, not the purchase of one.  I realized that after I wrote the post!  The person at the insurance company was a huge help, but I wanted to hear personal experiences.  I didn't see the Medela at any of the places that I could purchase from, but a lot of Ameda products.  I guess I will just look into it a little further.  Thanks again!
  • I was really happy with my Medela Swing. Since it is so small and battery operated I could use it anywhere I went, which was nice for travel. If you will be using it at home all the time, the hospital grade ones are supposed to be much more efficient. However, I found that once I got my son to start nursing well I would only pump once a night (to build up our supply in the freezer) and when I was away from my son for a period of time.
  • I had three pumps with DS.  A Medela PISA, Medela Symphony rental (hospital grade), and a Ameda Purely Yours.  I would have insurance pay for the rental of the hospital grade pump. If you end up needing to pump at home and work, before you go back to work, I would buy a Medela PISA to leave at work. If you have great supply and only need to pump at work, I would just bring the Medela Symphony to work and leave it there.Maybe get a cheap single electric to leave at home as a back-up.

The Medela Symphony was by far my favorite.  I had better output with it and it was quieter. My lactation consultant recommended I rent one to help increase my supply and once I started to use it, I didn't want to get rid of it (I ended up renting for 15 months)!  She said that the hospital grade pump is more effective at boosting your supply vs. the Medela PISA just helps maintain your supply. I had already purchased the Medela PISA, so I just brought that pump to work and left it there.  I did not like the Ameda Purely Yours. I think the suction may have been a bit higher on the Ameda than the Medela PISA, but it wouldn't go fast enough to give me a let-down of milk.

I plan to use my insurance cover for a rental this time. It will be nice not to have to pay for the rental out of pocket like I did with DS.

My two boys are getting a surprise May 2015!

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"