Postpartum Depression
Options

Anxiety and depression in pregnancy

I posted once or twice about this in my birth club, but I feel that I may get annoying to them by posting again. I am just struggling so badly with anxiety and depression in this pregnancy. I was on 50 mg Zoloft before this pregnancy, and it was wonderful for me. My primary care physician advised me to go off when pregnant, so I did. Well, I am just hitting rock bottom. I am an emotional eater and haven't been able to control myself at all. This is causing horrible guilt and worry that I have somehow harmed my child. I also worry that my stress is harming my child. To make matters worse, my DH is out of the country with no phone service. Right now I'm just feeling pretty desperate. I have an appointment with a therapist tomorrow, but I feel worried that just talking may not help this. Has anyone been through this. Did therapy actually help you?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anxiety and depression in pregnancy

• Options

I am sorry you are dealing with this.  I didn't feel this way during pregnancy, but dealth with serious PPD/PPA PP.  I know it is always best to avoid meds during pregnancy, BUT if the benefits outweigh the risks of the meds then you should be back on meds, IMO.  The constant stress and anxiety is not good for the baby either or you and neither is the emotional eating.  Could lead to gestational diabetes and all that kind of stuff.  I would try therapy before meds first, of course.  If it doesn't seem to help you and things get worse, the possibility of taking meds during your pregnancy needs to be re-evaluated.  Find a supportive OB or midwife that knows exactly what you are going through.

Their are risks...just like with anything in life, but just a story to share.  A friend of mine just gave birth to a beautiful healthy baby girl 2 months ago and was on meds.  Women do it all the time and sometimes bad stuff happens, but most of the time...it doesn't.

Good luck with everything!

PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• Options

Studies have shown that severe anxiety and stress during pregnancy can affect the baby in a negative way (pre-term labor, low birth weight, etc). I don't say that so that you feel worse, but to encourage you to reach out for help.

Do you have a psychiatrist? If not, please try to get one. Primary care physicians mean well, but they are not specialized and sometimes don't give the best advice when it comes to anxiety and depression (especially during pregnancy). My own PCP told me to "stop worrying so much" and said that medication was not an option during pregnancy. He refused to give me my medication, so I had no choice but to wean off.

I only got help when I hit rock bottom, became suicidal and had to admit myself to an inpatient psychiatric program at the hospital (I was 5 weeks pregnant at the time). I was under the care of a wonderful psychiatrist who said that women who have mental illness before pregnancy will probably experience an increase in symptoms during pregnancy. For many of us (myself included) going off medication is a very bad idea.

If you find a psychiatrist, I guarantee they will work with you to find a safe medication to take during pregnancy. They can speak without about the risks (if any) to the baby if that's something that is worrying you. I personally take 10 mg of lexapro, and I felt so much better when I started taking it again.

I also go to therapy, and it helps a little, but therapy alone wouldn't work for me.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"