High-Risk Pregnancy

How early were you dx with GD in pg #2 or more?

I had GD with my first pregnancy, I think I was diagnosed somewhere around 28 weeks. Do I need to be watching for it earlier this time?

I'm kinda freaking out about how I would handle GD while dealing with a busy toddler.

Wyatt 9/6/2011 
Tessa 7/5/2013
Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

Re: How early were you dx with GD in pg #2 or more?

• I was officially diagnosed after failing the 3hr test at 13 weeks with #2, but I started the diet and testing my blood sugar at home after failing the 1hr test at 11 weeks. Personally, if my OB hadn't ordered the GTT early, I would have requested it. It doesn't always show up earlier in a second + pregnancy, or even at all, but it's so important to be controlled that I would want to know ASAP.

Based on your siggy, looks like your kids will be a few months farther apart than mine (just shy of 19 months between mine) and I found it wasn't really any more difficult dealing with GD with a toddler. DD1 was just starting to wean off bottles and move to all table food when I was diagnosed, so I put her on the same snack and meal schedule I was one, which worked out perfectly for both of us. I set a timer to remind me to test, because sometimes I would get too wrapped up in caring for my toddler and forget or be too late. It wasn't a big deal, overall. And I actually found DD1 to be a good distraction and motivator - I survived it once, I can survive it again, and I had proof right in front of me that it was so very worth it :)

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My doctor tested me at 12 weeks this pregnancy. I have it again this pregnancy but haven't had any issues thus far. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My doctor had me start testing myself at 7 weeks with this pregnancy. I was officially diagnosed at 8 weeks. My doctor said if I had GD while the organs were forming it was important to know which was the reason for the early testing.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

• My OB had me randomly testing throughout my 2nd pregnancy.  Around 23 weeks, i started to notice my numbers creeping up.  By 24 weeks, it was clear i had it again.
  • I asked to be tested early and started monitoring my sugars pretty much as soon as I found out I was pregnant.  I got the 'official' diagnosis at 13 weeks.

I don't find it hard to manage as far as the numbers, but keeping an eye on the clock and testing is tough when we are out and about so much.  Sometimes I take my numbers at an hour and follow the hour guideline if I know I am going to be somewhere inconvenient to test and I just write down that I took it at an hour.   My OB is okay with this though. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was diagnosed with my first pregnancy at 28 weeks.  This time, they tested me at 20 weeks, and I failed the one hour by a lot and the two hour by a few points on each of the two non-fasting draws (but my numbers have otherwise been great).  I would ask to be tested some time in your second trimester if your concerned about catching it right away.  
  • I have it now the second time around and was diagnosed the first time at 27 weeks. I didn't even test this time, was just referred to the diabetes clinic at my hospital by 12 weeks.
  • My first pregnancy, it was diagnosed after my 28 week glucose test.  I started testing my sugars when I found out I was pregnant with DD and was on insulin at 6 weeks. 

We are going to start TTC #3, I'm assuming it will be the same this time around too...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was dx with DS1 at 29 weeks... and passed the 1 hour at 12 weeks with DS2.  Failed the 1 hour and 3 hour at 28 weeks with DS2.  All diet-controlled.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"