Stay at Home Moms

Any tips for dying own hair?

I am goimg to try and dye my own hair tonight.  My mom usually does it for me and i do hers.  Sorta nervous!  Any tips? I fear missing sections!! 

(hmmm... I guess im not much of a lurker anymore. lol) 

Twins:BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Any tips for dying own hair?

• I do mine.  I start at one ear and place the hair color along a line then move a small part over and repeat until it is all done.

I color mine to cover grey.  I am pretty sure my entire crown is grey so I don't worry about the ends as much as the roots.

• I am the same but skipped grey and went white. lol  Do yo use a mirror to help do the back or just do it by feel? 

• Loading the player...
  • Personally, I've always done it myself instead of having someone else do it. For the back, I make sure I use more than enough and do it by feel. Also, I have a crap-ton of hair, so I always make sure I have two bottles. That way, even if I don't need them both, I have the extra just in case I miss a spot.

FWIW, I've always colored to darken my hair, not to cover grays. But the grays are multiplying like crazy right now, so I'll have to start doing that soon, too.  :) 

griffin
  • imageSallyAnneS:
    I am the same but skipped grey and went white. lol  Do yo use a mirror to help do the back or just do it by feel? 

At this point, the back doesn't need it.

• The colour is now on.  i also have a ton of thick hair so i have always needed two bottles.  Did i mention the back is a different colour then the front? It usually is just the bottom part of the back to the darker colour is only sotra seen if down or a bit more if pulled up.  Pretty sure i went way to far upon the back... im so scared lol.  Reminded me of tweezing eyebrows and the people that dont know when to stop and end up with way to thin eyebrows.  20 minutes and i will see how bad it looks  haha.

It was easier then i expected though.  I think I could probably do this myself again.  Which will make it a lot easier to keep up with my greys.

• It turned out pretty good! I missed a small section of roots at the front, but had a bit of dye left so I put that on for a bit and it seems to have taken.  I feel so empowered lol!!

• I have been thinking about dying my hair, but I have always heard that the home versions are harsher than what they do at the salon. My hair is already curly (frizzy), so I don't want to dry it out any more. Any dyes that are gentle? What about semi-permanent dye?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"