May 2013 Moms

"Ice Pick Headaches" ?

Have any of you had something called an "ice pick headache" before? I never had until yesterday. Then I looked it up and found that I'm not the only one. It feels like a sharp stabbing pain in my temple for  like 20 seconds and then it goes away.  But there are several bouts of this (it happened maybe 5 times yesterday). I did read that it happens more with people who get migraines, which I do.  I'm just wondering if there is a link with pregnancy...or if any of you have any experience with this??

Thanks..
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: "Ice Pick Headaches" ?

• Headaches really can get worse in pregnancy, due to changes in hormone levels. I have had migraines since childhood but they are exceedingly worse while pregnant. In my last week of pregnancy with DD, I experienced my first complex migraine. It was terrifying. This time, I have already had 7 migraines and I can't even count how many headaches. We had to get some meds to try and reign it in this time. I hope your headache heals soon and doesn't return! 
    imageimage

EDD 1/31/13, MC May 17. EDD 3/31/13, MC July 26. I miss you so much already my angel loves

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have had these.  They do not seem to be more frequent in pregnancy for me.  However, I get migraines, too and they get awful during pregnancy.  I had 27 of them in my first tri with DD!  Not as bad with DS or this time around.  Maybe an increase in migraines is another non-scientific girl indicator???
  • Loading the player...
  • According to my neurologist (I get these all the tie, always have), there an additional form of migraine. The unlucky few get both kinds. They're caused by the same things, so even if your regular moraines subside for some reason these may not. Extra water, upped caffeine, things that normally help still should.
  • Yup, I suffer from both these and regular migraines. The ice pick ones don't seem to have increased with pregnancy though. Before I was pregnant I had an injection done in a nerve behind my ear to basically desensitize the nerve can't remember which nerve it was bc that is where mine occur. It helped a little but the injection itself was quite painful. I have no idea if I could have it done now that I'm pregnant. Bottom line, they are scary and suck but I haven't found any real cute other than my migraine meds which I can't take while pregnant.
    Married July 2011; TTC since April 2011; DX: MFI
    IVF #1 in August 2012: BFP!
    L was born on May 5, 2013, 8lb. 6oz.
    PAIF/SAIF welcome!

Our Project Make A Baby

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I do not suffer migraines, but had one of those icepick headaches yesterday and didn't know it had a name til I read your post!  I took a tylenol, but it didn't help.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"