Babies: 3 - 6 Months

When do you know to change formula?

LO spits up quite a bit.... some days are great with no spit up, and other days are awful!!  It's not projectile, nor is it chunky (Sometimes it's a little curdled, but not bad) and it doesn't seem to bother DS because he smiles while it's happening lol

DH always says, "we need to change his formula, this isn't fair to him!" But I dont' think that calls for switching.... He does have silent reflux, but again, it doesn't make him fussy so we don't need to medicate.

We started oatmeal 1 week ago, once a day and only 1.5 tablespoons.

I don't want to go through the whole switch again, he was on Enfamil newborn and now we are on Gentlease and have been since he was 2 weeks old.  My thought was to keep him on this esp. since he'll be eating more and more solids in the coming months...

What are you thoughts?  TIA

Our TTC Journey
TTC #1: May 2011
BFP: 10/27/2011 |  EDD: 6/30/12
DS born 6/28/12 via C/S 3 

TTC #2: September 2018
Me: 36 | DH: 39
Mirena removed 9/13/2018 after 6 years
BFP 11/11/2018 | MC @ 5.5 weeks on Thanksgiving
July 2019 - Diagnosed with Secondary Unexplained IF
August 2019 - 2.5 mg of Letrozole = Never Ovulated so Trigger and IUI were cancelled
9/30/2019 - IUI #1 (5 mg of Letrozole + Trigger) =  BFP but Betas showed CP @ 4 weeks
10/28/2019 - IUI #2 (7.5mg of Letrozole + Trigger) = BFN
11/25/2019 - IUI #3 (7.5mg of Letrozole, Trigger + Crinone after IUI) = BFN
12/24/2019 - IUI #4 (7.5mg of Letrozole + Crinone after IUI) = BFN
1/24/2020 - IUI #5 (50mg of Clomid + Trigger + Crinone after IUI) = BFN and an Ovarian Cyst
3/2/2020 - Taking a break to reset/NTNP
11/1/2020 - At peace with where things are in life and are no long actively TTC. Whatever happens will happen and it will all be okay. <3

Re: When do you know to change formula?

• I'd consult your pediatrician, if DS is growing steadily and hitting developmental milestones he's most likely fine but if his growth is slower than the doctor would prefer, maybe he isn't getting enough nutrition.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We went to the dr. 2 weeks ago for his well visit and he is right on track... so that's nothing to worry about!

Our TTC Journey
    TTC #1: May 2011
    BFP: 10/27/2011 |  EDD: 6/30/12
    DS born 6/28/12 via C/S 3 

TTC #2: September 2018
    Me: 36 | DH: 39
    Mirena removed 9/13/2018 after 6 years
    BFP 11/11/2018 | MC @ 5.5 weeks on Thanksgiving
    July 2019 - Diagnosed with Secondary Unexplained IF
    August 2019 - 2.5 mg of Letrozole = Never Ovulated so Trigger and IUI were cancelled
    9/30/2019 - IUI #1 (5 mg of Letrozole + Trigger) =  BFP but Betas showed CP @ 4 weeks
    10/28/2019 - IUI #2 (7.5mg of Letrozole + Trigger) = BFN
    11/25/2019 - IUI #3 (7.5mg of Letrozole, Trigger + Crinone after IUI) = BFN
    12/24/2019 - IUI #4 (7.5mg of Letrozole + Crinone after IUI) = BFN
    1/24/2020 - IUI #5 (50mg of Clomid + Trigger + Crinone after IUI) = BFN and an Ovarian Cyst
    3/2/2020 - Taking a break to reset/NTNP
    11/1/2020 - At peace with where things are in life and are no long actively TTC. Whatever happens will happen and it will all be okay. <3

• Loading the player...
  • Definitely good to consult with your ped on this one.  E has been on Similac Sensitive since he was 1 month old.  He had reflux and was on Zantac until about 6 months.  He had a lot of spit -up and I do mean a lot.  That eased up a lot once he was sitting up, and he is 9 months now and we don't even use a bib anymore.  We tried switching back to "regular" formula about a month ago, mixing new with his current formula, and he just got really fussy and didn't seem to take to it after a few days.  That was a sign to me that he needed the Sensitive, so we have just stuck with that.  You can always try mixing half and half of the new and old and seeing how he reacts to it.  There's no harm in that. 
  • We use Similac for Spit-Up (which has added rice starch), and I like it a lot better than the Gentlease we were on before. DS still spits up, but it is no longer chunky, orange, and curdled. He also stopped spitting up in his sleep as much. When I asked my pedi about switching formulas, he really didn't have a lot of advice except to just try what we thought was best and see if it worked. FWIW, I have also heard that you can add rice cereal to formula to thicken it, which sometimes helps with spit-up. It might be something to try if you don't want to switch formulas all together.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"