August 2011 Moms

Santa (XP from Parenting)

Co-worker came in this morning fuming mad about some kid telling his DS that Santa Claus isn't real.

I was all mad for him, but then he said his DS is in the 2nd grade, and I thought "Wow! Never heard of anyone believing in Santa past Kindergarten". I still think it sucks that his DS found out that way, but it made me wonder:

- How old is too old for believing in Santa?

- What is a good way for children to find out the truth about Santa? Have a birds-and-bees type of sit down? Wait until some jerk kid ruins it for them? SS?

Also, just so I'm clear, I do not think 2nd grade is too old to believe - I was just shocked that the other kids hadn't ruined Santa for my co-worker's DS yet. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Santa (XP from Parenting)

• i think i was in 3rd or 4th grade when i found out. total bummer!  my boss's kid is in 2nd grade and she still believes but is starting to ask questions. so i guess 2nd or 3rd grade is normal?

i'd rather be the one to tell my kids about santa but i'd probably wait until they asked me. its so much fun believing!

We have an Elf and DD#1 told me she didnt think he was real and that he was a toy. i said "i think he's just pretending to be a toy" and she totally bought that. she's all about pretending things right now so it worked. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My oldest is almost 7 and in 1st grade. He and his classmates are no where near being ready to give up the fun of Santa. He will probably be about 10 before I tell him. No point in ruining the fun too early. I also need to make sure that he is old enough to carry the responsibility of the secret so he doesn't ruin anything for his little siblings.
  • Loading the player...
  • My grandma believed past 10 - I think she was 12. She's a very trusting, honest person. I think part of why (besides "Christmas is for Jesus) that they didn't do Santa with my mom/aunt/uncles was because she was so old when she found out, and she had a lot of family who liked to tease her. And she was old enough to be really upset that they lied for so long.

If you're going to do Santa, I think it's good for kids to figure it out on their own. I figured out really early because my mom has very unique handwriting, and she didn't attempt to change it when she wrote the tags. We had other clues...I don't remember.

That really stinks that it was ruined for him. I'm not a big fan of Santa, but I understand how magical he is for some kids, and taking that away is just mean.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I don't think you are ever to old to believe in Santa ;-) DH and I always tell the non-believers if you don't believe than we are sure you will not receive.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • My 9-year old nanny kid still believes in Santa. I am scared that the subject will come up with me this year. I have been meaning to talk to my bosses about how they want to handle it if/when it happens. I just want us to all be on the same page.

I was in 3rd grade, and I figured it out on my own. I remember being mad that everyone knew the truth but me.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMonsieur_et_Madame_Ha:

I thought "Wow! Never heard of anyone believing in Santa past Kindergarten".

This is surprising to me!  When I was growing up, I'm pretty sure most kids believed until they were at least 8 or 9.  I don't remember kids starting the "Santa isn't real" conversations until fourth grade or so. 

- How old is too old for believing in Santa?  13.  We were at Christmas Eve dinner with some extended family and my dad said, "We've gotta head home, "Santa" has a lot of work to do tonight  Jim, I'll need your help with the tree."  I still remember the look of shock on my brother's face.  How he made it to 13 still believing - with two older siblings - I'll never understand!  LOL!

- What is a good way for children to find out the truth about Santa? Have a birds-and-bees type of sit down? Wait until some jerk kid ruins it for them? SS?  Generally, I don't see any need for a sit down, I say let them find out in their own time and let it be magical for as long as possible.  But if a kid is say, 11 or 12 and heading into middle school....it's probably a good idea to make sure he or she knows what's up, save them the embarrassment of having his or her peers find out there is still a believer among them.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I just had the Santa talk with my kids today.  In my classroom we celebrate the magic of the holidays.  If your parents are buying you gifts it's because Santa can't because you don't believe anymore.  And if you don't believe anymore you're not allowed to ruin the magic for anyone else. It's way more fun to believe than it is to think your parents do it. 

But if a student does come up to me personally I tell them that it's more fun to play Santa and pretend than it is to be a Scrooge.   At this age they still like to play pretend and they understand that concept so they tend not to ruin it for anyone else in consideration of their feelings. 

My own kid totally believes in Santa.  We get Santa pictures, a present from Santa, one from her elf, bake cookies for him, carrots for the reindeer.  We even do Portable North Pole videos, write letters back and forth, and call NORAD on Christmas Eve.  We are deep into Christmas magic and it is FUN!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"