Multiples

Working MoM's babies sleep schedules?

Hi, 

I have been trying to figure out how I will deal with my boys sleeping, and working.  My husband works 12 hr shifts thurs thru sat and on wednesdays 8 hrs ( swapping with a co worker to get every other wednesday off).  I work from home sometimes but I have to be in the office which is a 3 hr job daily.  The boys will be in daycare starting at 6 weeks.  I have one friend who has twins who says that feeding them at the same time is best to get rest.  I have another saying that feeding them at least a half hr a part is better.  Which would you choose? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Working MoM's babies sleep schedules?

• We did one up, both up. If they are off, all you will do is feed and change and feed and change. At least if they both eat at the same time, you have a two hour window of them not eating. You will be able to pick up on their cues very quickly. It really will fall into place :)
  • I did one up, both up. When they were smaller I fed them one after another. After they got bigger I tandem fed in boppy's day and night. They actually came home from the hospital on a three hour schedule and I stuck with it.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • If you feed them half hour apart, you'll be feeding babies all day and have no snuggle time (which I believe is essential to maintaining my sanity some days). Also it just doesn't work sometimes if both babies are up and hungry. Highly suggest tandem feeding, although it can be tricky with bottles.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageHisGirlCridey:
    We did one up, both up. If they are off, all you will do is feed and change and feed and change. At least if they both eat at the same time, you have a two hour window of them not eating. You will be able to pick up on their cues very quickly. It really will fall into place :)

I agree with this 100%.  I did one up, both up for the first few weeks.  But then I thought I'd try just letting the sleeping one sleep til they woke up to eat on their own.  I think they were about a month old when I decided to try it.  It was hellacious for the first week or so.  I'd probably only sleep 30 minutes between feedings during the night.  But I swear that's what helped them sleep longer stretches.  Fiona started first, sleeping through 2 feedings given to Anna, probably a good 6 hours at once.  Anna was up every 2-3 hours for a long time, if I had to guess, probably almost the first 3 months.  Then she slowly started sleeping longer stretches like her sister.  Of course until they were about 9 months old, their sleep habits changed like 2 weeks!  One would STTN but the other one would be up a few times.  Then they'd switch.  Then they'd both STTN (heaven!).  Then they'd both be up a few times during the night.  We finally sleep trained at 9 months and we've been good since. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imageyinyang124:
    If you feed them half hour apart, you'll be feeding babies all day and have no snuggle time (which I believe is essential to maintaining my sanity some days). Also it just doesn't work sometimes if both babies are up and hungry. Highly suggest tandem feeding, although it can be tricky with bottles.

This works for us. If one baby is up then both babies are up. Essential to keeping my sanity. I feed on a 3 hour schedule since Derrick, my NCU baby, came home on that schedule. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • 9 months?! I am so not used to that.  My daughter started STTN after a month old.  Is it common for twins to not do so?  How do you handle a full time job with babies that don't sleep.. ugh.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I did tandem feeding while on maternity leave but now they tend to eat at different times and I no longer wake the other one at night. Bentley sttn last night but Drake did not. I got more sleep by leaving Bentley alone.

As for how I work with round the clock feedings, I just do. Most nights I average 4 hours of sleep and they are not consecutive hours. It's tough but you will survive. Once you figure out what works best for you and your babies life will start to fall into place, just remember it may take a while, mine are just getting there at almost 4 months. GL!
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ours couldn't be tandem fed solo for a long time, so we each fed a baby - one up both up. They didn't STTN consistently until 14 mo (but did on occassion around 7 mo. just not at the same time).
  • imageLadynikon:
    9 months?! I am so not used to that.  My daughter started STTN after a month old.  Is it common for twins to not do so?  How do you handle a full time job with babies that don't sleep.. ugh.

Uh... twins are just babies, just like singletons in almost every way.  You just have two of them.  Twins don't "do" things differently simply because they are twins.  My babies started sleeping longer stretches, one around 6 or 7 weeks and the other around 3 months but it wasn't consistent until around 9 months old.  Since then, they've STTN every night.  And not because they are twins... but because they are just babies. 

As far as how I dealt, I just did.  That's kinda how you handle babies.  You just deal with whatever happens because most things, like sleepless nights, are only temporary.  I went back to work when they were 5 months old and by then, they were STTN most nights but not every single night yet.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  •  In terms of feeding, we feed them both at the same time. We both feed one at 6am before work. H drops them off at daycare and I pick them up. They eat solids now at 5:30, then their before bed bottle which usually we both feed one, but I am on my own a lot in the winter, so I will pick the one that is acting hungriest/tiredest and feed them, then the other. (They are too big for boppys now.)

ETA: I see you were talking about night time feedings. When I went back to work, H was at home for the summer (he is a teacher), so we would both feed one then they would all go back to bed, usually around 5:30-6am, and I would finish getting ready for work. 

imageLadynikon:
    9 months?! I am so not used to that.  My daughter started STTN after a month old.  Is it common for twins to not do so?  How do you handle a full time job with babies that don't sleep.. ugh.

I wondered the same, and here I am on my 4th month of work still not sleeping more than 6 hours a night. I am grateful for even that though. It's amazing how you get used to it.

Honestly though, it's hard. I have had days where the stress of work combined with lack of sleep has brought me to almost tears at my desk. You have to have support and hopefully you have an understanding boss/company. Fortunately I do.

my blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Boy/girl twins born at 37w1d and 37w2d

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imageLadynikon:

Mine started STTN for 12 hours just a few days before they were four months old. There is hope! I recommend the book Healthy Sleep Habits, Healty Twins. I think it really helped us. We didn't really have to do any sleep training they just slept through one night and we never looked back.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    imageimage
  • imageLadynikon:

We did one up, both up for the first few months.  We stopped when they were only up once a night, and we only stopped because regardless of when they got up they still were able to keep to the same schedule all day and H would get up with one, then I would get up with the other.  If it was just me, I would have kept them on the same schedule in the MOTN.

The girls started getting up only once a night around 3-4 months I think.  They started STTN about 3 weeks ago (6:30-7pm until about 6am, we had been getting 8 hour stretches prior to that, but when they're in bed by 7 and up at 3 it certainly doesn't feel like STTN).  I don't know if it's less common for twins to STTN later or not, but I will tell you that one baby crying has no impact on the other baby (unless it's close to wake-up time and the other baby isn't in a sound sleep).  One baby can be screaming her little head off and the other will stay asleep, which amazes me each time.  H and I both work full-time so it was tough, and honestly the sheer exhaustion made the first 6 months not fun at all.  But like PPs have said, you get through it because you have to.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My babies are only 5 months old, but I find tandem feeding to be harder than one at a time.  I usually feed one, then the other right after unless they're both screaming their asses off and it can't wait.  One thing I have noticed is that even if for some reason they get wildly off schedule from each other, they easily sync back up again within the day.

My babies started STTN last month but not regularly.  One or the other still might wake up during the night one or two nights a week, but it is still better than it used to be.  And I agree that when one wakes up crying, the other one just sleeps away like nothing is going on.

But yeah, I got NO sleep for at least 4 months.  It's really hard but you make it work and for some reason, it didn't bother me.  It just is what it is and you adjust.

4/08 BFP resulted in m/c
    8/08 BFP resulted in m/c
    3/09 Polyp removed and dx MTHFR (both copies)
    6 Clomid cycles, all BFN
    5/09 IUI#1 with Clomid=BFN
    6/09 IUI#2 with Clomid=BFN
    8/09 IUI#3 with Clomid=BFN
    IVF#1 = BFN
    IVF#2 = BFN
    IVF#3 ET 2 Grade A blasts 11/16/11
    Beta #1: 485
    Beta #2: 2,495
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage
    imageimageimage
  • It totally depends on your babies.  My girls were high maintenance eaters.  They ate slowly, had to be watched very carefully, and needed a lot of burping.  I tried over and over to feed them both at the same time and lost my mind and more than a few tears trying to do it.  I had them on a schedule 30 minutes apart from each other and it worked perfectly for us.  I got snuggle time with each as I fed them, and I was not feeding babies all day.  If someone was around to help they could be on the same schedule, but when it was just me, it worked better for me to feed them 30 minutes apart.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"