Multiples

Exercise during pregnancy

I spend most of my time in my March 2013 board, but wanted to check on the Multiples board for more specific input on this. I have been feeling incredibly out-of-shape lately. I have battled with my weight and unhealthy eating habits (junk food) most of my life, but prior to pregnancy I had been exercising a couple times per week on average, but it was inconsistent. At best, I was either jogging 3 miles or doing P90X, interspersed with several days of complete laziness, then back at it again. My eating habits were the same way. I'd go several days eating very healthy, mostly vegetarian and organic foods, then I'd splurge on crap for a day or two, then back healthy again. I did well in 2011 and had actually lost about 25 lbs, but gained much of it back by the time I got pregnant.

Since being pregnant, I feel like my health has really gone downhill, but I don't know how much of that is just a natural feeling of being pregnant with twins. During my first trimester, I was still able to jog once or twice a week but eventually quit when my bouncing belly started to feel uncomfortable. Since then, I have exercised very little, if at all. My eating has not been completely horrific, but not good either.

I find that I am out of breath pretty easily, sometimes just by talking a lot. (My job often involves me talking a lot, sometimes two hours or more in front of groups of people). Over the phone, both my mom and husband have commented I sound out of breath when talking with them.

Getting up a flight of stairs is not a huge deal, but I definitely notice my heart pumping pretty hard when I do it. I've started taking the elevators at work instead of the stairs because of it. When I walk across campus at work, I notice often that my stomach starts to get a cramping feeling in it, kind of like a runner's cramp. My MFM said that is normal. I feel like a beached whale just flipping from one side to the other in bed or getting myself up off our couch (it is very soft and I sink way down into it.) I went Black Friday shopping last week and found that I was literally limping by the end of the day because my legs were so sore and my feet were killing me. Doing basic chores around the house (vacuuming, carrying laundry around, unloading groceries out of the car and putting them away) has become noticeably more challenging.

I read these posts from other singleton moms who say they are still running regularly and doing pilates or spinning class, etc. and all I can think about is how I can barely walk around the frickin' mall without getting worn out anymore. I have gained about 25 lbs so far, which I believe is a bit on the high side, but not ridiculously so. I've been advised to try and gain 40-50 lbs altogether. In reading Dr. Luke's book, it seems like it is really recommended to try and limit exercise to just the basics, but I feel like such a sloth right now. I feel like I should be doing more. Due to finances, I just recently canceled my gym membership, so I don't have access to a swimming pool. I used to walk and jog around my neighborhood, but even a walk is quite a workout now because our neighborhood is built on the side of a mountain and all the streets are on a steep incline. I have an elliptical machine at home which I haven't really used in the past few months and I'm thinking of trying to get back on that again, but just not sure if that is overdoing it.

I know this is a looong post...sorry about that.....but I'm just curious what other twin mamas are doing or did do exercise-wise during their pregnancies. I feel like I'm in worse shape than I should be, and I feel like I should be doing more. I just feel like I'm getting fat and lazy! I want to try and stay in the best shape possible, but I also don't want to put myself at risk for triggering pre-term labor. I'm not sure where the middle ground is, especially as it's tough to compare myself to other pregnant women I know. One of my friends literally jogged every day up until the day she delivered.

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Exercise during pregnancy

• Before being pregnant I was a half marathon runner, but being pregnant with twins has changed everything for me.  During the first trimester all I did was some walking, which was limited because I had overly stimulated ovaries.  Since then I have not been able to exercise and at this point walking is challenging.  I focus on eating a healthy and well-balanced diet, but I don't have the energy or ability to do anything but put my feet up when I get home from work.

One thing I have learned is that you can't compare yourself to those pregnant with singletons...it is SO incredibly different and unfair for you to do that to yourself! 

DX: Anovulation
    TX: IUI #1-4 = BFN + 1 c/p
    IUI #5: Clomid 100mg + Bravelle + Trigger + B2B IUIs + 800mg Progesterone = BFP!
    Beta #1 (14dpiui): 460 Beta #2 (16dpiui): 998 Beta #3 (23dpiui): 21,832 Beta #4 (29dpiui): 129,771

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I know it's hard to not compare yourself to your pregnant friends, but a multiple pregnancy is a whole different ball game. I exercised 5 days/week prior to IVF/pregnancy and I wasn't allowed to exercise again until 16 weeks. Even then, I'm limited to swimming, walks, and some upper body work. It's definitely been a big lifestyle change, but if I do too much my body definitely lets me know. As with all things crappy about pregnancy, I try to remind myself that its only for a short period of time. 

You could try using your elliptical on a flat setting with low resistance and see how it goes, if your doc is ok with it.  

imageimage
    TTC #1 since May 2010. BFP #1 - 5/31/10; m/c on 7/22/10
    Started seeing RE in August 2011
    5 IUIs: BFN; IVF #1 - Success! BFP - 7/25/12 Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm in the same situation as you. I would like to be working out and want to find something to do but I don't want to put the babies at risk of coming early. I have gained about the same amount of weight as you. I feel like it is a lot but then again we do have two babies growing inside. My ob hasn't said anything about my weight yet. Has yours? I think as long as you are eating normally and doing what you can thats all you can do. Be proud of every moment because you are growing two amazing little people. I'm sure once they are born the weight will drop off and by then it will be a little easier to work out. Thats what I keep telling myself. ;) 

Also it is so nice to see someone else due with twins at almost the exact same time as me. :)  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Before being pregnant, I was a marathon runner, aerobics instructor and triathlete. With my first single pregnancy, I was able to keep working out several days a week into my 3rd trimester......

Now, I am pregnant with twins and have done NOTHING the past 5 months (a little during first trimester),  I feel day to day activities get my pulse up and feel like a workout to me.  BIG DIFFERENCE!!  Like people said, don't compare yourself to those carry just one baby.  I am living proof that an exercise enthusiast knew it was best to not workout with the twin pregnancy.  

Make some goals for when after the babies are here.  Small things, like just taking time for yourself to go for a walk, or a light jog, or cooking healthy meals.  

Good luck! 

• I too, was a 1/2 marathon runner before pregnancy. I ran 25+ miles per week, and kept it up as long as I could. I found out I had twins at 11 weeks, and right around that time I had to start slowing down. I ran 3x a week until 21 weeks, but I was slow and it was uncomfortable. It sucked having to stop, but I kept walking.

Every pregnancy is different and you have to take care of yourself and your babies. I finally got that through my head and let go of my own wants and "selfish" habits. What helped was telling myself that running will always be there for me after pregnancy and even now, with twin babies. (I am lucky to get 3x a week in). I have the rest of my life to compete and race again.

I am super competitive with myself and seeing my singleton friends run until the day before their water broke was so hard. I wanted to be that runner with the big belly :) 

my blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Boy/girl twins born at 37w1d and 37w2d

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"