June 2011 Moms

Two year old Pre-school?

Hi Girls, I have a question for you. I was thinking about enrolling my DD in a "Two Year Old" Preschool at Kensington School. We toured the facility today. It would be two days a week for two hours, starting next fall. DD will be a little over two years old. The school seems great, but I'm just curious, is 2 years old too young for preschool? What are your thoughts on this, pros/cons. I just need some mom input before I decide to enroll her. I'm leaning towards the mindset that it isn't totally necessary yet.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Two year old Pre-school?

• imageMegs129:
    Hi Girls, I have a question for you. I was thinking about enrolling my DD in a "Two Year Old" Preschool at Kensington School. We toured the facility today. It would be two days a week for two hours, starting next fall. DD will be a little over two years old. The school seems great, but I'm just curious, is 2 years old too young for preschool? What are your thoughts on this, pros/cons. I just need some mom input before I decide to enroll her. I'm leaning towards the mindset that it isn't totally necessary yet.

This is a great idea! My Mom works at our local high school, I will ask her for some informations on this. 

• imagekrptcmschfmkr128:
    I worked in a high school "pre-school" (it was the "lab" part of a child care class I had taken) and we took kids starting at 2. For them, it was more a social, play time, but we did story time and had different sensory activities for them. The kids really seemed to have fun and benefited from the social aspect.

This is a great idea! My Mom works at our local high school, I will ask her for some informations on this. *sorry haven't posted in awhile, I'm a little rusty. 

• Loading the player...
  • imagekrptcmschfmkr128:
    Haha that's fine! We, as "teachers" had a blast, and I believe the cost was cheaper for parents than normal pre-school.

Yes, it is pretty expensive, that is another reason why I'm hesistant to enroll her!! 

• DS attended what the pre school called "Children's Morning Out". Some places call this Mom's morning out or parents morning out. It's 2 hrs for 2 days/week. He started at just a month shy of 2 years old. It was not exactly pre-school but more of a social stop with new toys and an opportunity to have another authority figure other than DH and I. He did really well with it. I was so proud of the first craft that came home :) It also got him familiar with actual pre school and teachers since he continued there for pre school. DD will do the same program starting next Sept and she'll be about the same as your DD.
  • I don't necessarily think it's too young. DD goes to daycare and the learning and social aspect is great! Can I ask why you are thinking about it? I don't think it's really necessary for your DD to start attending a pre-school at the age of 2. She has plenty of time to learn and grow before kindergarten. There are lots of other options if you think cost is a factor.

• DD may start 2 year old preschool next fall.  I was definitely going to do it when I was expecting #2 in March so that I could have some time just with baby 2-3 mornings a week.  We will have to take a look at finances in the spring and then see if I can convince DH.  It would be nice for me to have that time to work on our business uninterrupted and for DD to have the social time.  
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS is definitely going to start preschool at 2, next fall! I have many friends whose kids started at 2, and although it's not necessary, they all said that the kids' verbal skills and ability to do things for themselves put on their own jackets/hats, drink from a cup, set the table, etc. really took off! And mostly, it'll give me a little break.

From people I've talked to and even the preschool director! more boys go to 2yearold than girls, and the reason may just be that they're more high energy, and the parents just need somewhere to burn the energy or harness it in a bit! Also, a lot of kids who already have younger siblings go, and that gives mom a chance to have some alone time with the new baby.

It does tend to be a bit more expensive, I've found, and the reason is that they don't require kids to be potty trained, so they have to change diapers, deal with a lot of accidents, etc. Also it's usually a lower teachertostudent ratio, so they need more teachers.

The two schools I'm looking at are both half days, 912:30, and include lunch. So he'll come home fed and ready for a nap. I'm so excited, wish he could start now!!!
    Finally updating my signature and avatar, August 29, 2011 (better late than never!) Jake! (born July 3, 2011 - 6 days past due) Image and video hosting by TinyPic December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Holiday Movie Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thank for you input ladies.  I was just thinking about doing it because a friend of mine is enrolling her daughter in 2 year old pre-school, and we thought it would be fun for our girls to go together.  After some consideration I've decided not to enroll. DD is my only child, so I don't really need the break. We go to a ToT Rock class, and 2 Gymboree classes a week together, so I think we are set in the social department.  This has been very helpful. Plus, i'd have to drop both our park district and gymboree membership to enroll her, and i really enjoy the mommy and me classes. Thanks again :-)
  • dd1 started preschool at 2.5, and it was not too early at all.  it has been very good for her.  the preschool starts at 2, so we will likely enroll dd2 at 2 so that the girls will be at the same place and we only have one drop off and pick up.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"