February 2013 Moms

Night Nanny?

I am having a C-Section and my SIL told me when she had hers 2 years ago they used a "night nanny" for a few months.  That allowed her to heal from the c-section by getting sleep.

Anyone else contemplating a Night Nanny?  If so, how did you find her?  Have you used care.com?

Thanks Ladies.

3 angel babies; m/c 2009, 2010, 2011. Our little blessing is due February 2013. Lilypie Maternity tickers image

Re: Night Nanny?

• If you're planning on BF you will need to get up to feed LO. I had a csection with DD and healed well and fast after mine with no night nurse.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • I could see getting someone to help out at night for a week or two afterwards when it's difficult to get out of bed, but a few months? That seems rather extreme. It doesn't take that long to heal from a c/s, assuming there are no complications. DD was in the NICU for 2.5 weeks after my c/s, but I still had to get up at night and pump, and I did just fine.

And as mouse said, if you're planning on BFing, then that plan doesn't work  because you're the one who has to feed so you're up anyway. Even if you're thinking you could pump and have the night nanny feed bottles at night, that would mean that you might end up with supply problems because you wouldn't be pumping at night (I assume) even though LO would be drinking at that time.

Is it nice to have a night nanny? Probably. Is it necessary? Absolutely not, and especially with BFing could cause problems.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Loading the player...
  • A few months?? Is your sister a celebrity? LOL I didn;t have a c section but have lots of friends who did and none of them had a night nanny.

I have heard good things about care.com.

Jen
    Mom to Ava 12.21.04 and Austin 10.22.06
    BFP 12/5/11...natural m/c 12/23/11 Pregnancy Ticker
  • In NYC they are much more common than in other areas of the country. In fact when I had my first, there were 4 women on my floor at work pregnant and I was the only one who didn't have one. That being said, I think most just had one for a couple of weeks, although I know someone who did have one for a month. 

When my sister had a c/s i took a few days off of work to stay with her to get the baby up at night (her husband travels a LOT for work).

Good luck. Word of mouth is how everyone I know found their night nurse. 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagealcammor:

In NYC they are much more common than in other areas of the country. In fact when I had my first, there were 4 women on my floor at work pregnant and I was the only one who didn't have one. That being said, I think most just had one for a couple of weeks, although I know someone who did have one for a month. 

When my sister had a c/s i took a few days off of work to stay with her to get the baby up at night (her husband travels a LOT for work).

Good luck. Word of mouth is how everyone I know found their night nurse. 

I lived in NYC when I had DD#1, and I remember hearing about night nannies. I never considered it because of the cost, but I'm sure it would be nice to use one once in a while to get some sleep. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My cousin who lives in NYC had one for a month, I think she got her name from the hospital??  I used care.com for my nanny once I went back to work and love her, but we got really lucky.  Just FYI though, like others said unless you know that you're not BF you will have to get up at night.  The nurse can prep the baby for you and bring him/her to you but you will need to feed otherwise you'll be in pain. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yep. My night nanny's name is DH.  

K & C | 9.17.10
    "With You By My Side, I Will Never Be Lost"
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Letmommysleep.com is a night nurse service.  I'm keeping them on speed dial in case I have a post-baby meltdown.  They also do sleep training, which might come in super handy.
  • OMG I would have loved a night nanny with DS after spending month and months with him not sleeping.... he was a horrible sleeper!!!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you are going to BF, you have to get up anyway.  If I were going to spend the money, I'd rather have a cleaning service or mother's helper during the day to do the laundry and cleaning while I held the baby.  :)
    SAHM to DD1 (7), DS (5) and DD2 (1)
  • I was a night nanny for a family from the time the baby was 6 weeks until she was 8 months. The mom bf, she pumped at night and I bottle fed the baby.  

• My friend in CA has hired an in-home 24/7 mother's helper/night nanny for her LO at $100/day for three months.  Must be nice!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"