March 2012 Moms

XP: Won't take formula?

My DD seems to HATE formula anymore.  She has been FF since 1 week, so its not a new thing.  We struggle to get the 20-24 oz the pedi recommends.  We have cut back on solids (which she would eat 3 solid meals if given the chance) with no luck on getting more formula in her.  She will drink a couple of ounces of water no problem out of a sippy cup, but if we put formula in there she spits it out.  Last night we got a couple more ounces of formula in there by mixing it with cereal, but then she really didn't take her last bottle.  She doesn't seem to be teething and this is an ongoing battle that we are tired of fighting.  Any advice?  She has never ever drank more than 30 ounces in a day (even before solids) and it was more typical of her to only drink around 25 ounces before solids.

I remember there being a March momma who had a bigger baby (like my DD) that also didn't drink that much compared to other babies.  Would love to hear from you and how your LO is doing with formula since starting solids. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: XP: Won't take formula?

• our guy did that.. teething was part of our problem too.. it lasted a couple of weeks and now he seems to like it again. 

He also preferred the bottles with the ployvisol drops in it for a while,so we split his daily dose over sevral bottles.  If its teething, once the pain subsides he would drink.. so we used to give him a shaved carrot to chomp on and then he would drink fine.  Also we would make him drink between spoonfulls..it was a struggle for a couple of weeks  but should get better.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Have you tried changing brands?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • as a foot note to prevous reply ( sorry LO was demanding attention)  our LO has never been a big drinker.. he was lucky to be getting the 20-25 oz a day too except I breast feed as well as formula so I think that helped.... just recently, probably the last week or so his intake has gone up considerably. Is your munchkin underwieght or is your Pedi not concerened about growth..
    It always amazed me that some babies were chomping through 40oz ++ a day and I thought we were doing something wrong but our Lil man is growing just fine.

• Are you still offering a bottle or just the sippy cup?

• Thanks for all your tips ladies.  To answer some of your questions...DD is not underweight at all, the pedi is worried about the nutrition not the weight gain.  We do give bottles, but after the bottle has been partially eaten and then rejected I put the rest in a sippy cup to see if we have better luck.  Yes, we do wholesome solids - homemade veggies, fruits, whole milk yogurt, cut up meats, and the occasional cheerio or puff.

I did call the pedi and spoke with a nurse today.  She said formula is much more important than food until a year and to keep limiting the solids until she gets the 20 oz.  She suggested not feeding meals and doing a small amt of food after a bottle more frequently.  So we will give it a try and see what happens. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"