Blended Families

Anyone use Roku?

I am thinking of ditching satellite and cable altogether and going strictly internet and Roku.  Anyone else do this? 

Pros? Cons?

The only thing I think I'd miss out on is local news and weather, but I think I can still just change how I do that and do more online reading and instant notification for bad weather warnings and such.

Any thoughts?

"he offered her the world. she said she had her own" - poet Monique Duval

Re: Anyone use Roku?

• We already had an xbox live membership, so we got Netflix and Hulu through that and ditched cable.  I honestly don't miss cable too much.  During the Olympics I missed watching some of my favorite sports, but that's been the only time that I've really regretted our decision.  I like that its similar to a DVR, so you can pause any show and come back later.  I found myself doing a lot of "as soon as this show is over I'll go grocery shopping . . . " bargaining and I watched more TV with cable.  The only issue is have is that each TV has to have its own xbox and xbox live membership, or else you can only watch one TV at once.  I think Roku works the same way.  Probably not a huge deal-breaker for you though.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We ditched cable a few months ago.  I almost never miss it.  I have a few friends who have Roku and love it.

I think now that it's cold outside we'll get a HULU membership and stream through our PS3.

Mama of 2: one who grew in my womb, both who grow in my heart.
  • Loading the player...
  • One more question - is there a monthly or annual fee?  Or do you just pay for the box and that's it?

I guess my question is, what's the catch? Because $90 or so bucks and that's it  for a box seems a little cheap if all your paying is internet provider services. 

"he offered her the world. she said she had her own" - poet Monique Duval
  • Lurker here, but hope I can be of help.  I ditched cable TV and went entirely to Roku/Hulu Plus.  I bought the Roku box and then pay $7.99 per month for Hulu Plus, in addition obviously to my internet bill, which I already had.  All my shows I want are on there.  I love it.  But I was never a huge TV watcher to begin with, so I don't miss it.  I never watched news or sports, and I think those would be the big drawbacks.  You have to wait 24 hours (I believe) for episodes to be posted, but I never care.  Usually I can only watch a few nights a week anyway, so I just catch up on my favorite shows at once.  I waste less time, my DD uses it for PBS shows, and we save a ton of money. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"