Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

At what temp do you take your LO to the ER?

I took my son's temp rectaly and it's 100.0. I'm afraid that while he's sleeping it will rise and I won't know. Should I worry? At what temp would you take your son to the ER?

Re: At what temp do you take your LO to the ER?

• Options
    That's not high at all.  104 that won't stay down with meds is usually ER worthy.  Given that it's night time, I'd medicate to keep the fever at bay overnight and then hold off giving it again in the morning to see what it does.  Have you given him anything?
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options

imageelmoali:
    That's not high at all.  104 that won't stay down with meds is usually ER worthy.  Given that it's night time, I'd medicate to keep the fever at bay overnight and then hold off giving it again in the morning to see what it does.  Have you given him anything?

i haven't given him anything. See, I thought if it was above 100.4 to call the doc. What would you give him? Baby Tylenol? If it's only 100.0 maybe I can hold off on the Tylenol. Besides the slightly elevated temp he seems fine. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageericamanuela:

imageelmoali:

i haven't given him anything. See, I thought if it was above 100.4 to call the doc. What would you give him? Baby Tylenol? If it's only 100.0 maybe I can hold off on the Tylenol. Besides the slightly elevated temp he seems fine. 

Well, I'm not saying not to call the doctor if it gives you peace of mind but it's low and you haven't given anything so the doctor is probably going to mention that it's low and to give him something :)  At that temp I normally wouldn't give anything except that it's late and you're nervous about it going up.  No one wants to over medicate but one dose of infant Tylenol isn't going to cause harm.  That's why I mentioned to maybe give it tonight to try and keep any potential rise at bay but then NOT give it in the morning and see how he does.   

• Options
    imageelmoali:
    imageericamanuela:

imageelmoali:

Well, I'm not saying not to call the doctor if it gives you peace of mind but it's low and you haven't given anything so the doctor is probably going to mention that it's low and to give him something :)  At that temp I normally wouldn't give anything except that it's late and you're nervous about it going up.  No one wants to over medicate but one dose of infant Tylenol isn't going to cause harm.  That's why I mentioned to maybe give it tonight to try and keep any potential rise at bay but then NOT give it in the morning and see how he does.   

Thanks so much for your advice. I'm sure I'm just over reacting. First-time mom here :-)

• Options
    imageericamanuela:
    imageelmoali:
    imageericamanuela:

imageelmoali:

Thanks so much for your advice. I'm sure I'm just over reacting. First-time mom here :-)

No problem :)  I'm a FTM mom myself but you'll be amazed how much knowledge you have in your back pocket in just two years lol  The firsts of just about anything are terrifying and there's always someone just a little further ahead of you to calm your nerves :) 

• Options
    My doc's rule is if a baby is under 3 months and temp over 100.4 - go to ER, which I had to do last month. At minimum they collect urine, blood, & take a chest x-ray. They also tested him for flu & an upper respiratory virus then gave him IV fluids and Tylenol. I continued to give him Tylenol about every 4-6 hours over the next couple of days. He's since gotten temps between 100 and 101.5 and, depending on how he seems to feel, I will give him Tylenol. If his temp is 100.4 and he is bright, alert, eating, and playing - I wouldn't give him anything. If he were super sleepy and fussy with that temp, I would give him tylenol. Now that I've been through the ER deal once and DS is a little older and had first round of vaccines, I'd hold off on a trip to the dr or ER.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • Options

I called my doc at 102 and he didnt send me to the ER. We kept the fever down until we saw him on the following Monday. It was an ear infection.

When he was getting that high, we would give him a dose at night so that it wouldnt creep up while we were all asleep

ETA: Ditto PP about being under 3 months and over 100. We were over the 3mo mark.

• Options

imagebrandyleighxx:
    My doc's rule is if a baby is under 3 months and temp over 100.4 - go to ER, which I had to do last month. At minimum they collect urine, blood, & take a chest x-ray. They also tested him for flu & an upper respiratory virus then gave him IV fluids and Tylenol. I continued to give him Tylenol about every 4-6 hours over the next couple of days. He's since gotten temps between 100 and 101.5 and, depending on how he seems to feel, I will give him Tylenol. If his temp is 100.4 and he is bright, alert, eating, and playing - I wouldn't give him anything. If he were super sleepy and fussy with that temp, I would give him tylenol. Now that I've been through the ER deal once and DS is a little older and had first round of vaccines, I'd hold off on a trip to the dr or ER.

our son is almost 5 months old and from what I've read I think the temp can be a bit above 100.4 before being concerned. Thanks for all the info about the Tylenol. Our son does seem to be alert and normal. 

• Options

imagebrandyleighxx:

All of this - after 3 months the rule is call the pedi if the temp hits above 101. You won't necessarily have to go to the ER, but you should at least contact LO's doctor about it. It's also true that their behavior is a huge tell - if they're lethargic and miserable, they're probably feeling worse than if they're happy and playing (regardless of the temp).

Hope your LO feels better soon! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My pedis rule is: 100 under the arm then do it rectally. 100.5 rectally call. I didn't call last time when it was 100.7 but just gave Tylenol and her bath. It went down.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • Options

It's not a fever until 100.4

If your LO's fever increases you will know.  They will start to act different.   Usually breathing becomes faster and shallower, they moan etc.  Believe me, trust your mother's intuition.

I'm a little fever jaded because DS1 had fevers of 105+ every 2 weeks for months. 

Look at your child.  Are they acting normally?  Out of it?  Lethargic?  Don't just look at the number on the thermometer.  

If the fever responds to tylenol (even just a tenth of a degree is responding) it's not worrisome.  Most doctors don't recommend medicating for a fever unless it's about 102 because it's how the body fights infections.  

If you need to call the pedi for peace of mind.

To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"