Baby Names
Options

Hattie or Elsie?

I think DH and I might actually be close to agreeing on a name. DD1 is Ryann Elizabeth. So if you had to pick a name for DD2, would you choose Hattie or Elsie? Why?

Last name sounds like Links. Middle name for Hattie would be Rae moms MN. Not sure on a MN for Elsie. We want a family name, which right now our options are Ann, Rae, Ashley, Dellus... Nothing really flows.

Thanks so much for your input!

Re: Hattie or Elsie?

• Options
    I prefer Elsie times a million over Hattie. I get a picture of a corpulent old woman when I hear Hattie (even though I know it's coming around again). I think Elsie Rae flows great!
  • Options
    When I hear Elsie I think of a cow.

Hattie is really nice, I like it way better than Elsie.

Hattie Ann is a great choice
    FORMERLY NADCHAEL.

VOTE on my Name List
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I prefer Hattie.

Danica 10.22.10 | Milo 12.23.12

PicMonkey Collage3

• Options
    I like Hattie better than Elsie.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    i do not like either, but Elsie is a cow...so Ill go with Hattie by default.
  • Options
    Elsie for sure!! I would go with Elsie Ann.
  • Options

Both of them are nicknames in my mind, which I don't like because I'd at least want her to have the option to use a more formal name professionally and on resumes when she is older.

I'd go with Hattie over Elsie though.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageCrys1925:
    I prefer Elsie times a million over Hattie. I get a picture of a corpulent old woman when I hear Hattie (even though I know it's coming around again). I think Elsie Rae flows great!
    my thoughts exactly!
    photo 928560AF-AAA0-4036-A0DB-1781F180055B-8057-000009B95DF7BAAA_zps4aeff975.jpg Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I love the name Elsie! I think Rae fits.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yes, I agree that both seem like nicknames. I like them though, as nn's. Hattie is on our list but it will e short for Harriet. Elsie would be nice short for Elisabeth if it wasn't DD1's mn. Maybe Elsa?
    Waiting for #3!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    If it wasn't for the cow association I would love Elsie.  Hattie by default, but it does feel very old-ladyish to me.  Kind of a mismatch to Ryann, doesn't seem like they should be in the same sibset.
  • Options
    imagebeebanjo:
    Both of them are nicknames in my mind, which I don't like because I'd at least want her to have the option to use a more formal name professionally and on resumes when she is older.nbsp; I'd go with Hattie over Elsie though.

I'd like the option of a more formal name as well, but right now I'm not sure of any for these two. Anyone care to throw out suggestions?
  • Options
    imagecaramia582:
    If it wasn't for the cow association I would love Elsie. nbsp;Hattie by default, but it does feel very oldladyish to me. nbsp;Kind of a mismatch to Ryann, doesn't seem like they should be in the same sibset.

Elsie doesn't remind me of a cow so I'm not worried about that. And we've decided not to be too concerned with the sibset. I didn't pick Ryann because I have a 'thing' for boys names on girls or unisex names. This is the closest DH and I have got to agreeing, so I think it will be one of these two. I do agree that neither seem to 'fit' with Ryann, but thus far it's what we've got.
  • Options

imageajetter:
    imagebeebanjo:
    Both of them are nicknames in my mind, which I don't like because I'd at least want her to have the option to use a more formal name professionally and on resumes when she is older.nbsp; I'd go with Hattie over Elsie though.
    I'd like the option of a more formal name as well, but right now I'm not sure of any for these two. Anyone care to throw out suggestions?

I think Hattie is traditionally a NN for Henrietta or Harriet.

For Elsie - Elsa, Elizabeth, Eleanor, Eliza

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    They're both okay. Elsie makes me think of the cow but her peers probably would never make that association. I like Hattie except I went to school with a Hattie who was overweight and people called her Fattie, which was really sad.

• Options
    Neither are MS but Hattie sounds like a nick name only to me, so by default I would go with Elsie.  I stongly prefer Elise to Elsie.  
  • Options
    Elsie Rae, I don't like Hattie.
    BabyName Ticker}
  • Options
    I think Elsie is very cute. but I do have the cow association. I LOVE Hattie. but don't like Harriett or Henrietta. Could you maybe do Hadley, nn Haddie?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Cautiously expecting our second little petri dish baby - stick, Baby, stick!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I don't think either age well. I am in my late 20's and cannot picture someone my age as an Elsie or Hattie. Hattie.....maybe. Elsie....no.

I know many have mentioned previously that maybe use a different name and use Hattie or Elsie as a nickname.....but that is what I would do. They seem like "cutesy" names to me, I cannot picture someone over the age of five years old with the name.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Options

I love Elsie & I like it with Rae.

We're naming our daughter Eloise Clementine NN Elsie! 

• Options

imageElsa1984:
    I don't think either age well. I am in my late 20's and cannot picture someone my age as an Elsie or Hattie. Hattie.....maybe. Elsie....no. I know many have mentioned previously that maybe use a different name and use Hattie or Elsie as a nickname.....but that is what I would do. They seem like "cutesy" names to me, I cannot picture someone over the age of five years old with the name.

I don't see either name as cutesy, although I do like them as nicknames.  My great-great grandmother's name was Elsie, so I associate it more with a sweet 100-year-old lady than with a cow or a little girl.  

OP, I love, love Elsa.  It's one of my top names.  Between Elsie and Hattie, I would choose Hattie. 

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Options
    imageElsa1984:
    I don't think either age well. I am in my late 20's and cannot picture someone my age as an Elsie or Hattie. Hattie.....maybe. Elsie....no.

I know some names don't seem to age well, but my personal opinion is that all names eventually age alright if you know the person. I've seen someone comment on Molly this board as not aging well or sounding too cutesy, but I know several 25 to 30 year olds named Molly. So it doesn't bother me. Molly probably isn't the best example but it is the first one I thought of.

Currently I have a hard time picturing a 20 to 40 year old Elsie or Hattie, but i can definitely see a younger or older one, so I'm just hoping after 20 years of having the name it doesn't seem weird I guess.
  • Options
    I think Hattie, but I like them both.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageKimbus22:

imagenadchael:
    When I hear Elsie I think of a cow.

Hattie is really nice, I like it way better than Elsie.

Hattie Ann is a great choice

This. I immediately picture a giant cartoon cow when I hear the name Elsie.

Would this whole cow thing be a regional thing? I had never heard of Elsie the Cow until like the 5th person said something and I googled it.
  • Options
    I like Hattie way more than Elsie, but the whole "Fatty Hattie" ruined the name for me. Elsie just sounds so young. How about Elsa instead? PP's suggestion of Hadley with the nn Haddie is good, too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagechibride4:
    I like Hattie way more than Elsie, but the whole "Fatty Hattie" ruined the name for me. Elsie just sounds so young. How about Elsa instead? PP's suggestion of Hadley with the nn Haddie is good, too.

DH and I just don't love Elsa. Hattie the Fattie was my initial reservation with that name. Hadley was my first, well 2nd to Lila, choice but apparently DH decided he didn't like it anymore. Oy. I seriously hate naming kids. It stresses me out. DH said if I really liked Hadley he'd go with it, but then I just feel guilty...
  • Options
    imageWashingtonQueen:
    Elsie for sure!! I would go with Elsie Ann.

I like Elsie Ann as well!
    trying for #1 since May 2012... we're adopting! bringing home baby boy in january 2015!

photo tacos.gif
    Texas forever. 
  • Options

I like them both, and prefer Hattie to Elsie personally.  But I only like them as nicknames, not stand alone FNs.  Too cutesy, and have a hard time seeing a professional woman associated with either name.

baby boy: 3.19.2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"